Need Advice on Buying New GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Im thinkin since I rarely listen to my ipod, I probably dont have to have XM radio.

Does anyone know if the passenger will be able to hear all the prompts and music from the 660 gps via the scala team set?
You can BT to more than one device with some, and only 1 with others. I THINK...I'm not sure that I can pair 2of Sena headsets to my 660 along with my phone.
Unless they changed it with version 3.0, the Bluetooth standard specfies that only one instance of a profile can be active at a time - i.e. one AD2P profile, one headset profile, etc. So no, you won't be able to pair and connect two headsets to your Zumo simultaneously.

OK, Im thinkin since I rarely listen to my ipod, I probably dont have to have XM radio.

Does anyone know if the passenger will be able to hear all the prompts and music from the 660 gps via the scala team set?
You can BT to more than one device with some, and only 1 with others. I THINK...I'm not sure that I can pair 2of Sena headsets to my 660 along with my phone.
Unless they changed it with version 3.0, the Bluetooth standard specfies that only one instance of a profile can be active at a time - i.e. one AD2P profile, one headset profile, etc. So no, you won't be able to pair and connect two headsets to your Zumo simultaneously.
Ok...I was thinking that changed, but I could be wrong. I have a couple of tools for work stuff that pair like this, and I can never remember which one does what.

Not too sure about the Zumo but I thought you could pair both a phone and BT headset. I just got the Zumo and haven't played with it much. The Nuvi 765 is limited to one BT connection. I know on my Sena BT headset, it can be paired to a phone, GPS and another headset.

Not too sure about the Zumo but I thought you could pair both a phone and BT headset. I just got the Zumo and haven't played with it much. The Nuvi 765 is limited to one BT connection. I know on my Sena BT headset, it can be paired to a phone, GPS and another headset.
Your right...You can. I'm paired to my Sena and my phone. What is in doubt is if I could pair to TWO Sena units so that the wife and I could hear the same music, or if the GPS will support two phones.

I'm thinking I was mistaken when I said it might. When I have another Sena unit here, I will test it out, but I bet someone already has.

The Nuvi 765 is one of the few non-Zumo navigators that can be paired simultaneously with both a phone and with a separate headset or client.

One more question, if you take the 665 off the bike and put t in the car will the XM still work or is there an antena that I would need for both vehicals. Im assuming that the XM receiver is built-in? Is the antena built-in too? I know Im switching gears hear, just trying to get well informed. The 665 is only $150 more than the 550 or the 660 so maybe I DO NEED XM ?
If you can afford the extra coin to get the 665, get it. The XM feature and antenna are more than worth it. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I really enjoy the variety and quality of music and entertainment on there, especially on long trips. I could use the iPhone, but I find more often I just listen to the music on the XM via GPS. It is a stereo BT connection that will prioritize and deliver phone, GPS direction and music in a prioritized manner, and will work extremely well. Adding channels using a BT connection is not all that easy and it seems something or another just fails to pair, so with bluetooth, this is an easy way to deliver all three devices to your headset. You can't add it later if you buy the 660 change your mind.

Just a side note, I use an Autocom to mix media sources, so can still add a music aux to the radar, gps/phone/XM, rider/passenger comm and bike-to-bike radio. It's harder to add that many channels with BT.
Can I use the XM in the car too? or do I need an extra antena?

One more question, if you take the 665 off the bike and put t in the car will the XM still work or is there an antena that I would need for both vehicals. Im assuming that the XM receiver is built-in? Is the antena built-in too? I know Im switching gears hear, just trying to get well informed. The 665 is only $150 more than the 550 or the 660 so maybe I DO NEED XM ?
If you can afford the extra coin to get the 665, get it. The XM feature and antenna are more than worth it. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I really enjoy the variety and quality of music and entertainment on there, especially on long trips. I could use the iPhone, but I find more often I just listen to the music on the XM via GPS. It is a stereo BT connection that will prioritize and deliver phone, GPS direction and music in a prioritized manner, and will work extremely well. Adding channels using a BT connection is not all that easy and it seems something or another just fails to pair, so with bluetooth, this is an easy way to deliver all three devices to your headset. You can't add it later if you buy the 660 change your mind.

Just a side note, I use an Autocom to mix media sources, so can still add a music aux to the radar, gps/phone/XM, rider/passenger comm and bike-to-bike radio. It's harder to add that many channels with BT.
My XM antenna is on a Velcro mount and quickly dismounts the bike and works in the car. The GPS can also output from a 3.5mm audio jack so you have a digital connection if your car audio accommodates that. Also, if you do this, your first year of subscription could be only $77/year if you call to setup the subscription. For some reason customer service is allowed to give up this perk for first time subscriptions link. I did it last summer, and from the looks of things, it is still good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The XM antenna for both the 550 & 665 Zumos are externally wired to the GPS. The way my 665 Zumo is wired it would be very awkward to remove the XM antenna any time I remove the GPS. Therefore in my case the XM antenna is permanently mounted on the bike. I would suspect you would want to buy a second antenna unit for the car but it is not impossible to mount the antenna in such a way that you could move it with the GPS.

Alrighty then!! I've made my decision, Im going with the zumo 665. :yahoo: Bought it from Garmin as it was the same price as amazon.

Thanks everyone for all the info, it really helped.

Those are different profiles, i.e. when the Zumo connects to the phone, it uses the hands-free profile (HFP). When it connects to a Sena, it uses the headset profile (HSP). There is still only one instance of each profile active within the Zumo's bluetooth profile. A device could theoretically get around this by including two BT transmitters, they are rather cheap.

I got the Zumo 660 and have been very happy with it. It's worth the extra money to get the motorcycle specific waterproof units IMO. I was able to use the standard RAM handlebar mount that came with it and mount it on the left side.

My friend has the Zumo 660 as well and he also has the Scala unit in his helmet that sync's to the bluetooth of the unit. He says he loves it.

I rec. my zumo 665 today and like a little kid, I unboxed it and ran for the garage to mount it. the mounting was pretty straight forward. I used a ram ball on the clutch res. and I mounted the XM antena with velcro to the brake res. I have one last question...what do I do with all the wires? Its not like you can cut of the 3 ft or so you dont need. I guess just roll it up and zip tie it somewhere....

Roll it up and put it under the tank. Above the heat shield of course. There's plenty of room under there.
I didnt know there was room there, of course I've never lifted the tank. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks

The only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask, right.....right?????

Bryan

Roll it up and put it under the tank. Above the heat shield of course. There's plenty of room under there.
I didnt know there was room there, of course I've never lifted the tank. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks

The only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask, right.....right?????

Bryan
Yeah...Its super easy. Take off the two bolts at the top.of the tank, remove the plastic from around the tank, and only loosen the hinge bolt at the bottom.

Have something to use as a prop to keep the tank up. Find you a nice hollow spot, and drop the excess wire there.

When you put it back together, start and nearly tighten the top two bolts first. If you do the hinge first, it'll never line up and piss you off. Haha...

I have the extra antenna wire descending to where the throttle cables go into the engine bay. I just secured the slack by pushing it back along the cables. It seems I have the tank off fairly frequently and most of my wiring follows that path through the frame openings on both sides..