need advice on gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 550 is more durable and easier to use because of the buttons. Mono BT is the only sacrifice. You can get lifetime maps from Garmin for $89 (less 10%) and you'll be good to go. I got a firmware update on mine via the web earlier this year so I think they are still supporting it.

Be sure to check out the classifies on this board when you are ready to buy.

PJ

I can live with mono BT, I think I've narrowed it down to the 550. If anyone on the board has one to sell, please PM me.

Thanks everyone!

Greg :rolleyes:

I skipped the 550 and went straight from a 2820 to a 665. The reason I did it was that the weather you get on the 665 has the doppler radar map like the 475. It is really pretty cool. If you are riding around and there is rain, snow, extreme weather etc. within about 20 miles of you, it will give a alarm and a message like "Rain detected in area". You push one icon on the screen and goes to the weather screen and shows where you are in relation to the weather. If you are following a route, it will show the route on the weather map.
The larger screen is really nice, and you actually see a lot more of what is around you than the 550. It does however have one major drawback that I cannot live with. Garmin has promised to fix it, but that have not yet. Some people may not see it as a issue at all. If you download say 20 waypoints from the Mapsource software they become invisible if you zoom out to 2.0 miles or more. They only appear when you zoom in to 1.2 miles or closer. This makes it pretty worthless for using in rallies. It is really too bad because some of the other features for mapping are much better than the 2820 was. For instance if you want to add a waypoint to a route you can simply pick the point from the list, tell it to "go to" and it asks if you want to add it to the current route, or create a new one. If you choose add it to the current route, it automatically puts it in the correct spot. On the 2820 you had to open the route, choose to edit the route, choose add or edit waypoints, choose the waypoint you wanted to add, then you would have to run route optimize to get it put in the correct spot.
How much area the screen shows is a direct function of the zoom level - though for any particular zoom level ther larger screen on the 660/665 will show more map (not that it means anything since most people display track-up which is the same vertical size) and in any case the larger screen only shows more area if you have the data fields deselected (more map), which isn't a negative, but rather an observation - however since screen details are lacking on the 660/665 when zoomed past 500 meters (about 1/3 mile) while the 550 shows those details zoomed out to 1.2 km (3/4 mile) you get to see those roads when there's 3 times as much area showing on the 550's screen than on the 660/665 - a VERY significant difference.

IMO there's no point in seeing more 'area' if they force you to zoom in so tight that you can actually see farther down the road than you can depict on the map without leaving out all the streets and roads that might be interesting to look at when you are riding around.

As to the weather; Note that it is a subscription option requiring XM for both navigators; The 665 comes with the antenna and provides what I understand is a more advanced display experience; However when I'm on the road I simply use my weather rock (Google it if you don't know what that is). I had MSN Direct (shutting down Jan 1) on my Zumo 550 and have a traffic receiver on my bike with the Zumo 660 (you can probably add the traffic receiver to a Zumo 550 as well, but I've not tried).

Importing routes from Google will require that you convert them using a program on your PC. I do suggest installing speed camera and red ight camera Proximity POI files on whatever navigator you ultimately choose.
The screen detail is big deal for running rallies, but I could imagine that it could also be a big deal for other things too. On the 550 you can increase the map detail setting so you can see your waypoints with the map zoomed way out. If you do the same thing on the 665 in increased the towns and cities, but not your waypoints. Where I use it during rallies is that you have all the bonus points loaded into the GPS, and you route yourself to the points. But you have made a mistake and missed one. If the GPS shows them all the time you can see on the screen if you are riding by one that is close, but you didn't put in a route. With the 665 you cannot do that. You would only see it if the screen zoomed in close, and the waypoint was withing the screen. But let's say you are salesperson and you make all your customers a waypoint. You want to be able see customers that you may have forgotten about. It is the same thing, you wouldn't see them unless it was zoomed in. You can search for nearest waypoints, but it would be a hassle to have to do that all the time.

I have had a 550 for about four years.
It will import routes from Mapquest, I don't use Google Maps, but if it works with one........ it probably works with the other?

It does NOt fix an arrival time as mentioned earlier, it continually estimates a new arrival time based on the current average of speed.

It has BT but I don't use so no feedback on BT.
I can definitely learn to work with Mapquest. Can you confirm that it not only imports the waypoints, but the actual track (route) that I choose? IOW - I don't want the GPS to recalculate the shortest/fastest distance from the current waypoint to the next one. I want it to take the exact route that I've planned with Mapquest.

Also, would you fathom a guess as to how many waypoints you can import into the 550? With google maps, I trick the software into picking the twisty road by keeping my waypoints close. I would venture that Mapquest works the same way. So, on a 300 mile daytrip, I might have 100 or more waypoints (I really like the road less traveled).

Greg - since this is your thread, please take first dibs on FJR-Remington's buddy's used 550. However, failing this deal, I'd be interested in buying it as well.

Thanks to all for the help.

I have been following this thread, and other GPS threads with interest. However, I am still trying to find a good enough reason to spend 4 to 6 times the price of a basic Garmin 40LM GPS? I understand that the Zumo series is waterproof, but a ziplock bag could solve this issue. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, cause it just ain't as much fun. ;) I have an iPhone 4, and plan on getting a Scala G4 powerset unit. I really don't need to hear someone tell me when to turn (anti authority kind of guy I guess :coolsmiley02: ). Therefore, I will use the BT function of the Scala for the iPhone, for music and calls, and the intercom of the Scala for rider to passenger/rider communication. All I "think" I want the GPS for, is to look at where I am, follow a route, and find POI's etc.

So, what am I missing? Or am I just letting cheapness cloud my decision making?

Wayne

I have been following this thread, and other GPS threads with interest. However, I am still trying to find a good enough reason to spend 4 to 6 times the price of a basic Garmin 40LM GPS? I understand that the Zumo series is waterproof, but a ziplock bag could solve this issue. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, cause it just ain't as much fun. ;) I have an iPhone 4, and plan on getting a Scala G4 powerset unit. I really don't need to hear someone tell me when to turn (anti authority kind of guy I guess :coolsmiley02: ). Therefore, I will use the BT function of the Scala for the iPhone, for music and calls, and the intercom of the Scala for rider to passenger/rider communication. All I "think" I want the GPS for, is to look at where I am, follow a route, and find POI's etc.

So, what am I missing? Or am I just letting cheapness cloud my decision making?

Wayne
HPpants:

Go for it. I think I'll buy a new one. Thanks for giving me first dibs!!

With my 550 I tried the mono BT via a chatterbox XBI for awhile, to play MP3's stored on the 550, to receive navigation prompts and to talk on a cell phone. This wasn't ideal, and the sound quality was very poor, and the wind noise very high. Plus, I couldn't hear warnings from the radar detector, without an extra ear bud. I then installed an ampli rider, and via a 3.5 mm stereo cable I have my radar detector, navigation and music delivered via Skull candy noise cancelling ear buds. This works extremely well! I haven't continued to monitor my cell phone and I don't really need to, I just check for messages at stops.

Just an option to consider if the BT doesn't work out.

I predict you'll be happy with the 550!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a 550 for about four years.
It will import routes from Mapquest, I don't use Google Maps, but if it works with one........ it probably works with the other?

It does NOt fix an arrival time as mentioned earlier, it continually estimates a new arrival time based on the current average of speed.

It has BT but I don't use so no feedback on BT.
I can definitely learn to work with Mapquest. Can you confirm that it not only imports the waypoints, but the actual track (route) that I choose? IOW - I don't want the GPS to recalculate the shortest/fastest distance from the current waypoint to the next one. I want it to take the exact route that I've planned with Mapquest.

Also, would you fathom a guess as to how many waypoints you can import into the 550? With google maps, I trick the software into picking the twisty road by keeping my waypoints close. I would venture that Mapquest works the same way. So, on a 300 mile daytrip, I might have 100 or more waypoints (I really like the road less traveled).

Greg - since this is your thread, please take first dibs on FJR-Remington's buddy's used 550. However, failing this deal, I'd be interested in buying it as well.

Thanks to all for the help.

Mapquest will transfer the route, not just the waypoints. I can zoom in on Mapquest and drag the route to the exact road I want and it all transfer to the 550. I don't know how many waypoints the 550 can take, I think it's many, actually, I think it has more waypoint capacity than t he 660.

BTW, it is really easy to make these route transfers from Mapquest, they have it built in, I select "transfer", then select "gps" then my 550 appears, then do it and it is done. Very easy.

Mapquest will transfer the route, not just the waypoints. I can zoom in on Mapquest and drag the route to the exact road I want and it all transfer to the 550. I don't know how many waypoints the 550 can take, I think it's many, actually, I think it has more waypoint capacity than t he 660.

BTW, it is really easy to make these route transfers from Mapquest, they have it built in, I select "transfer", then select "gps" then my 550 appears, then do it and it is done. Very easy.
Garmin's website says the 550 has 500 waypoints and 50 routes. The 660 has 1000 waypoints and 20 routes with more storage for routes on an SD card.

Screwball

I'm finally going to get a GPS for the bike. I have a BT helmet, and use it for music. Please give me your comments on 550, 660, or ?

Wow... where to begin?

First off, I currently own both a Zumo 550 and Zumo 660. I bought the second GPS so I could run them on two bikes when my son accompanies me. It also makes switching bikes easier not having to move the GPS mounts. Yes, I could have just got a second Z550 motorcycle mount but that would not have accomplished goal #1.

I agree with most of what has been said thus far, with a few exceptions (below). In summary, I would go with the Zumo 550 unless you have to have stereo bluetooth (A2DP) which the 550 does not have. Because I use them hardwired to my Stacom1 Advance intercoms, my opinion is that the 550 outperforms the 660 in all regards.

I do not find the acquisition time is any better with the 660 and the memory limitation of the 550 is moot once you learn how to use the SD cards to store the map data (as well as how to arrange your music files), which is not all that difficult to do.

I just don't know if the buttons make it easier, or is touch screen easier? Anyone who has had both feel free to chime in!
Yes, the buttons are much easier to use. For example, to adjust the volume is trivial on the 550 using the hard keys. On the 6XX, not so easy with the touch screen menus. [edit - I was just playing with my Zumo 660 and discovered that if you just quickly touch the power on/off button that a screen comes up with the screen brightness and master volume controls on them. That nice! ]

To be fair, a lot of this has to do with how Garmin has coded the firmware for these touch screens and how big the buttons are (not). It often requires having to transition multiple screens to get to the feature that you want. Much of it is counter-intuitive (to me) and I sometimes wonder if any motorcycle riders actually work at Garmin. If they were to rewrite some of the software and make the commonly used features more accessible (and more glove friendly) they might make it more tolerable.

I do not find the wider screen gives any more meaningful information. I'm generally traveling in the vertical direction on the screen, so get the same real estate in that direction. I suppose that when you switch to overhead view (by touching anywhere on the map background) and you happen to be heading E-W, then you do get to see a bit further with the wide screen. If I were a GPS designer I would orient the screens in Portrait mode as that would give you more of a look ahead.

I have had a 550 for 4+ years. Love it except when the digitizer died. I replaced it for about $60 by ordering a new one from China and replacing it myself. Easy for anybody who can use a screw driver. :)
The touch screen digitizers can actually be bought on eBay for <$20 shipped as I mention here

Issues with the 550:

• Here is a list of Zumo 550 issues. The one that really "bugs" me is there is no way to adjust the estimated arrival time to suit your riding speed/style. I think on the LD guys must work for Garmin cause the only way you will get to the destination on time is never ever stop!
  • Additionally the Zumo will not simply display/follow a track (aka bread crumb). Instead one must import the track as a route thereby destroying the track. The import process uses the installed maps. Heaven help you if you don't have the same maps as what is on the track. This is not a problem for most FJR riders and those that stay on pavement. Those using the Zumo for dual sport riding are screwed to the point of needing a different GPS. Garmin quit making the 478 a few years ago and some consider it a gold standard of GPS - go ahead try to find one!
  • Once three of us with $2400 worth of GPS gear sat at an intersection debating which way to go - the damn things were routing us in a circle.
  • I have heard the GPS 550 is no longer supported by Garmin - they still sell 'em but I don't know that they are updating the GPS firmware anymore.
I don't really see how any GPS will be able to compensate for your riding style exactly. How can it possibly know how many red lights that you will hit or how often you need to drain your bladder? I just expect a GPS to tell me how much actual "ride time" is left if I do not stop. I can add my own stop times in from my head. And when I do not stop at all I find the arrival time to be freakishly accurate.

On the Zumo 550 there is a button in the "Manage Track Logs" screen (hint: under User Data) to save the current track log as a route. On the Zumo 660 that feature is even better as you can select any of the prior saved track logs and then save that as a route. And you can always export any of the track logs from either of these GPSes. and convert any them into a route using some other utility to do the conversion.

When three different GPSes attempting to follow the same route file disagree, it is usually because there are not enough viapoints in the route, the GPSes are configured differently, or the GPSes are running different versions of mapping. The maps have the average speed data encoded in them for each segment of road, so they will disagree on what the "fastest way" between two via points is. Also some users may have their navigation option set to "shortest distance", or they might also have their avoidances set up differently. There are lots of reasons for this to happen. The GPS itself is seldom the reason.

AFAIK the Zumo 550 is still being supported by Garmin. I have the lifetime maps update for it and continue to receive them and regular firmware updates too.

Can anyone confirm that either the 550 or the 600 will:

1. Import a Google Map route that I have created? I trick Google maps into choosing the twisty/scenic route by keeping my destination points very close together. I desperately want to get this into my next GPS - then just follow the route.

2. Allow me to navigate to a City WITHOUT having to enter any Street Name or Number? Often, while in BFE, I don't know any Street names - I just want to go to the city.

For #1- The best bet for that is to use the GMapToGPS utility to export a *.gpx file which can be loaded into Mapsource, tweaked to make it useable, then uploaded to your GPS. Here's the link on how to do that: Clicky

#2 - Yes, both the 550 and 660 have "Cities" buttons under the "Where To". The cities are listed in order of proximity to your current location, so you may be better off just spelling it.

The Garmin Zumo 220 is new and made for Motorcycle. It has BT and most everything of 550. It does not have mp3 or xm radio. You can add SD card. It cost $400.00

The Garmin Zumo 220 is new and made for Motorcycle. It has BT and most everything of 550. It does not have mp3 or xm radio. You can add SD card. It cost $400.00
Not really all that new, it's been around for a while. It has no audio jack(s) so you can only use bluetooth for the GPS audio. And that blue tooth is for the audio only, no possibility of pairing a cell phone to it. For another $100 (street prices) I'd still go with the 550.

Here's the specs comparison link on Garmin's website

Fred-

you convinced me, and I've ordered the 550 off Ebay. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. Next I'll ask for your help when I get the darn thing!! LOL

Greg :yahoo: