Need Aftermarket Passenger Seat Only

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastie

Reaction score
My wife is frustrating the hell out of me. You can't do anything about that, just wanted to throw it out there.

We just purchased an FJR1300. We both love it, however, of course, the wife is doing nothing but bitching about the passenger seat. I expected it as I have read that most passengers hate that seat, and I can see why.

So during todays ride, at the height of her discomfort, I suggested we order an aftermarket seat, maybe a Russell, Bill Mayer, Sargents, etc. She said that is fine. I should have known it would not be that easy.

So we get home, I get online and research. I show her the Russell at over $800, she says too expensive. I show her the Bill Mayer on my seat pan, she says too expensive. I show her the Sargent at just under $600.00, guess what she says. I finally just told her, "Look, we buy an aftermarket seat, or we sell the FJR. Which is it going to be?" She walks off pissed. So.

I find no problem with the OEM seat. Afterall it is more comfortable that the OEM seat on my 1050 Tiger. So I have no problem keeping the stock rider seat. I'm thinking I will just get her the passenger seat, either Russell, B.Mayer, or Sargent. But it does not appear that I can order just the passenger seat.

Yeah, Yeah, I know, just get rid of the wife. Not an option as I can't cook and I have no patience to train another wife. Beside after 37 years I have become fond of her.

So, anyone ever ordered just a passenger seat? If so where from? If not then what options have you used to keep the wife happy? And before you suggest an Alaska Leather sheepskin, already tried that and it was a no go for her.

Thanks for your help.

Oddly, my wife liked the passenger seat, but I hated the stock. So I bought just the pilot seat from Corbin. Seems they do sell them separately.

I don't know if the Corbin passenger seat would make that much difference to her, but the pilot seat made a huge improvement for me.

Guessing the price will be around 300?

Foam or Gel inserts on just the passenger seat ? Hell, I wouldn't bother doing just one half of the seat. For the price it will cost divided by the number of years of comfort for you both, just get the whole custom seat. You deserve it :) Plenty of aftermarket options out there but one man's seat is another's plank - that sound right? :unsure:

Maybe try an Airhawk for her seat?

I've got a Russell driver and pillion on my FJR and Sooze gives it, "2 Buns Up!"

Is a Russell cheap? No. Is it worth it? Only if ya ride a lot.

Maybe try an Airhawk for her seat?

I've got a Russell driver and pillion on my FJR and Sooze gives it, "2 Buns Up!"

Is a Russell cheap? No. Is it worth it? Only if ya ride a lot.
Damnit!! That's why Russell won't sell me a seat.

Puckers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beads, Airhawk or a gel insert are all worth trying.

As a budget minded alternative to full custom, the Yamaha Comfort Seat might be worth a try. I recently added one and so far [like BG] the SO gives it *2 Buns Up* and is very pleased with it. If it doesn't work, you can always flip it for close to what you paid. Look around and the seat can be had for just over $300.

Happy wife = happy life... ;)

Good luck!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
If the other aftermarket options are off the table due to expense, I'd go for the Airhawk, which is probably the cheapeast alternative that has the highest chance for success (just be sure to barely inflate it for proper ride). Might be worth finding someone in the area that uses one to test it out.

I have a virgin Russel day long passenger, but for a gen 1!! Wife sat on in and said oh hubba hubba. Then she bought a 2006 streetbob, I put a russel on that, She bought a new LD comfort top, short shorts, and a one piece stich and a pink helmet! Air hawk? Beads? Different underwear? Couch cushion buckled to the keister? Many choices, 800$ russel passenger seat? Was it made out of sting ray? Just called russel for you and a rear seat in vinyl is $395. Its a price, it may be high but it should be the end all solution. Or head to walmart and cut a boat cushion to size and glue it to the stock seat, no lie, it works for some.! Good luck

I have a virgin Russel day long passenger, but for a gen 1!! Wife sat on in and said oh hubba hubba. Then she bought a 2006 streetbob, I put a russel on that, She bought a new LD comfort top, short shorts, and a one piece stich and a pink helmet! Air hawk? Beads? Different underwear? Couch cushion buckled to the keister? Many choices, 800$ russel passenger seat? Was it made out of sting ray? Just called russel for you and a rear seat in vinyl is $395. Its a price, it may be high but it should be the end all solution. Or head to walmart and cut a boat cushion to size and glue it to the stock seat, no lie, it works for some.! Good luck
Great info. Thanks for the help and your call to Russell on my behalf. I have a friend at work that has an Airhawk that is not being used and she has loaned it to me. The wife will take a ride with me this weekend to see if it is the solution. If not then I will just order the Russell passenger seat.

Get her the Russell and tell her she is worth every penny! It's a win - win. My wife has sat on our bike for some very long days with the Russell without a complaint. If you try the Russell you'll be getting the full set as well.

Coastie since I long ago dumped the other half, I only had my FJR seat re-done at Cee Bailey. I don't see a charge for just the rear seat but I'm thinking they would come up with something, they are great folks to work with. Danny took my info and engineered my seat. Worth a call if you're still looking after the Airhawk, I use an Airhawk on my short rides on the KLR and it makes it bearable........

https://www.ceebaileys.com/seats/seatservmain.html

My wife is frustrating the hell out of me. You can't do anything about that, just wanted to throw it out there.

We just purchased an FJR1300. We both love it, however, of course, the wife is doing nothing but bitching about the passenger seat. I expected it as I have read that most passengers hate that seat, and I can see why.

So during todays ride, at the height of her discomfort, I suggested we order an aftermarket seat, maybe a Russell, Bill Mayer, Sargents, etc. She said that is fine. I should have known it would not be that easy.

So we get home, I get online and research. I show her the Russell at over $800, she says too expensive. I show her the Bill Mayer on my seat pan, she says too expensive. I show her the Sargent at just under $600.00, guess what she says. I finally just told her, "Look, we buy an aftermarket seat, or we sell the FJR. Which is it going to be?" She walks off pissed. So.

I find no problem with the OEM seat. Afterall it is more comfortable that the OEM seat on my 1050 Tiger. So I have no problem keeping the stock rider seat. I'm thinking I will just get her the passenger seat, either Russell, B.Mayer, or Sargent. But it does not appear that I can order just the passenger seat.

Yeah, Yeah, I know, just get rid of the wife. Not an option as I can't cook and I have no patience to train another wife. Beside after 37 years I have become fond of her.

So, anyone ever ordered just a passenger seat? If so where from? If not then what options have you used to keep the wife happy? And before you suggest an Alaska Leather sheepskin, already tried that and it was a no go for her.

Thanks for your help.

Just saw your dilemma...I have an extra Corbin heated rear seat for a Gen 2. $250. I know you didn't mention Corbin but I thought i'd throw it out there to you...

Thanks for your help.

Just saw your dilemma...I have an extra Corbin heated rear seat for a Gen 2. $250. I know you didn't mention Corbin but I thought i'd throw it out there to you...
Thanks for the offer Dark Knight, but in my opinion Corbin seats are planks that are under engineered and overpriced. I have tried them twice, at great expense, and sold em off to other riders pretty quickly. Of course that is just my opinion, or at least my boney asses opinion.