Need Electrical help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_Palmer

Reaction score
I installed heated grips this winter (dual star) , when I went for the first ride this spring bike refused to turn over. My first thought was that I ran it down while installing grip heaters and power dist. bar. I charged the battery and took a 150 mile ride everything was normal. After setting for a week it started but seemed to turn over slower than normal, after riding 40 miles with grip heaters on the battery was nearly dead and I had to push start it. The volt meter on my GPS III+ reads from 13.4 to 14.1 when riding at about 3500 rpm. It will drop about .1 volt when the grip heaters are on.

I don't understand how the voltmeter can read that high and still have the battery loose volgtage while riding.

Bike is 18 mo old with 9000 miles. bad battery?

Anybody have any ideas where to look?

Thanks

Steve

There are several things that could be wrong here, but I would first look at the battery.

You didn't trickle charge it over the winter?

Every time a battery goes dead (discharges), it causes permanent long-term damage. Depending on how old your battery is, and how many other times it has completely dead, I would say there is an excellent chance your battery is shot, and that's why things are not working properly.

It's the first thing I would check and replace.

I normaly charge once a month over the winter, but I suspect that it sat for about 2-3 weeks compleatly discharged, looks like a new battery is in order. Are there any better aftermarket batteries out there or should I just go to the local dealer?

Steve

Popular replacement is the WestCo - Clicky Here. You can get it at Bike Effects (Fellow forum member) or California Sport Touring, or just do a google. Costs about $60 with free shipping.

Unfortunately, the westco link I provided says the battery is out of stock until June. Maybe there is one still around at a retailer. I would contact Bike Effects and see what he can find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type a little faster would ya Scooter. I'm not a huge fan of CAST myself, forum member bikeefects is much friendlier to do bidness with IMO.

Type a little faster would ya Scooter. I'm not a huge fan of CAST myself, forum member bikeefects is much friendlier to do bidness with IMO.
Whatchyoutalkinbout Willis?

The volt meter on my GPS III+ reads from 13.4 to 14.1 when riding at about 3500 rpm. It will drop about .1 volt when the grip heaters are on. I don't understand how the voltmeter can read that high and still have the battery loose volgtage while riding.
I 'aint no electrical guru, but the numbers your quoting are a reading of the charging system output while the engine is running and not the actual battery voltage.

In theory you don't need a battery for an engine to run, only to crank it over to get it started.

Popular replacement is the WestCo - Clicky Here.  You can get it at Bike Effects (Fellow forum member) or California Sport Touring, or just do a google.  Costs about $60 with free shipping.
Unfortunately, the westco link I provided says the battery is out of stock until June.  Maybe there is one still around at a retailer.  I would contact Bike Effects and see what he can find out.
SkooterG, you are correct. I just recently tried to order a Westco battery from Bike Effects (Jeff) for my '05 FJR. He cancelled my order because the factory is "backed up" until June regarding this battery type. I purchased my battery (sealed AGM) from my local Batteries Plus franchise. Cost $80.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if you have a drain or draw when your key is out of the ignition, maybe something is connected to the battery directly and causing a drain.

I have this happened to me before.

Have you battery load tested and see if it will hold a load.

check to see what the battery voltage is when the bike is not running, then check for drains to see if something is causing the battery to drain overnight.

Good luck