need help asap. bike stuck at work

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mestude

Reaction score
today is thursday 6.30.11 245pm MIchigan and my 2006 fjr wont start, does not crank, gages power up but. windshield wont work, glove box wont open, and hazard and blinkers wont work and fuel pump does not engage with key on and of course bike wont crank/ and or start. i rode to work yesterday, went to lunch yesterday and then when trying to leave work last night i experienced all that, i did try a new battery and that didnt change anything, i pulled th main fuse and got absolutely no power anywhere, put it back in and got power again at the gage package, but still nothing else., i did ck the other fuses and they all look good.....who can help me....is it something easy im missing

Ignition switch? did you bypass that?
I'm with 'dish, this sounds like a bad ignition switch. Do you know if your ignition switch was replaced during the factory recall? From work you can call any Yamaha dealer, give them your VIN and they can tell you if Yamaha replaced the ignition switch.

If your ignition switch was not replaced you can try turning the key on and off repeatedly (ya, sounds hoky but it often works). The internal contact holder in the ignition switch melts resulting in intermittent electrical contact.

As mdisher stated, it is possible to jumper the ignition switch wires for a field fix until you can address the problem. In past discussions when the ignition switch was found to be deficient there were several 'how-to' written on hot-wiring the FJR.

The symptoms are not consistent with a typical ground spider failure but symptoms do vary and this can't be ruled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that it's probably been answered, I'll chime in with "Sell it where it sits!"

I'll give ya 3 hunnert bucks. Cash money!

And even some replaced ignition switches have had to be redone, if I remember anything I've ever read here at all

. . .

I'll agree with everything pointed towards ignition "switch failure" except you said the gages power up...that doesnt fit.

My 2006 did the ignition switch failure thing in Wyoming...it was like turning a light switch off....right in the middle of the highway. For me there was no power to nothing...nada!

...you said the gages power up...that doesnt fit...My 2006 did the ignition switch failure thing in Wyoming...it was like turning a light switch off....right in the middle of the highway. For me there was no power to nothing...nada!
There are two contacts in the ignition switch. One contact is primary motorcycle power and the other contact is for the 'Hazard Lighting' system. It is possible (and common) for only one contact to fail allowing some lighting to still function.

I was thinking the side stand also as mine has taken a shit..But I still have power to most of the gadgets that he mentions.. I think the Iggy switch is cooked.

BIKE is being towed to the YAm dealer this morning, of course they wont look at it until late next week at the earliest.....so now i wait to hear what it is...i will keep you all updated...

BIKE is being towed to the YAm dealer this morning, of course they wont look at it until late next week at the earliest.....so now i wait to hear what it is...i will keep you all updated...
so good news bad news situation....it is the Ground problem. good news is Yamaha finally released a bulletin

to take care of the bikes that are having this issue at no charge to the customer...bad news...and what horrible news it is.....they dont have any parts and wont until MAYBE mid August....no loaner bikes available either....

so thats what i know right now....

Sorry to hear the mid August date. My bike has been at the dealer since June 25. He called me yesterday and said that Yamaha gave him a Aug 3 date for my harness.

so good news bad news situation....it is the Ground problem. good news is Yamaha finally released a bulletin

to take care of the bikes that are having this issue at no charge to the customer...bad news...and what horrible news it is.....they dont have any parts and wont until MAYBE mid August....no loaner bikes available either....

so thats what i know right now....
I have to assume that the recall action, where they install something (unknown exactly what that is, still) to attempt to prevent the spider meltdowns, has to be separate and distinct from any service bulletins where the harness has already been heat damaged by one of the spiders. The "normal" action for repair is the entire wiring harness being replaced under warranty.

If it was me I'd go pick up the bike and trailer it home, then install some sort of temporary/makeshift repair until they have their parts in hand. Then I'd decide whether I want their repair or not based on what they plan on doing. I'm not sure I'd let them replace the whole harness. YMMV.

All you need to do is join all of those ground wires together better than the factry, which isn't too hard. I'm sure that somebody you know has some electrical / electronic skills and can come up with at least a temporary repair.

I have to assume that the recall action, where they install something (unknown exactly what that is, still) to attempt to prevent the spider meltdowns, has to be separate and distinct from any service bulletins where the harness has already been heat damaged by one of the spiders. The "normal" action for repair is the entire wiring harness being replaced under warranty.
Just got a call from the dealer. There was damage to the ground and they will be replacing the entire wiring harness.Wiring harness is on back order. :angry2:
If it was me I'd go pick up the bike and trailer it home, then install some sort of temporary/makeshift repair until they have their parts in hand. Then I'd decide whether I want their repair or not based on what they plan on doing. I'm not sure I'd let them replace the whole harness. YMMV.
'Fred W' makes a salient point: replacing a complete wiring harness on a modern motor vehicle is no small task (akin to replacing the frame...)! :eek:

The remedy may be worse than the disease...? :unsure:

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about getting a complete wiring harness replaced -- unless, it really was necessary. Especially, if I had the wherewithal to affect a quality repair of the problem (w/o complete w/h replacement).

YMMV

My local dealer would not let me leave the lot with a confirmed safety problem due to possible liability to dealer/Yamaha.

This all leads me to think that the repairs would be done in a more expedient fashion if this issue had occurred on a car instead of a motorcycle. Maybe some of these issues need to make their way to the local media outlets to get some real pressure on Yamaha to get it fixed.

What if you drove your car into the dealer and the same "safety" issues came up? Would you have to walk home, or call a cab?

This is unacceptable.