Need help finding GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to hijack the thread, but who makes the ram mounts tht are built into the steering stem nut? I did a search with no luck.

Buy her a map.

Ask any woman, they have the sense of direction, men are the clueless ones..

I dare you, I dare you, neeener neener! :rolleyes:

I'll jump in and say that TomTom sucks. At least as far as North America is concerned. Garmin rules the roost.

Anyone else echo this sentiment??? I was looking at a refurb TomTom One XL-S for the wife, so it would be CAR-ONLY...for $119 + 2 bucks to ship. A co-worker just bought a refurb XL and likes it, but has only used it a couple weeks. The XL-S speaks the street names, XL does not. Like the author of this thread, waterproof is NOT an issue (I've got that covered already for bike use), neither is bluetooth or sat radio. Big screen and ease of use are primary concerns, as the wife is NOT great with electronic gadgets.

I hope this won't be viewed as a thread hijack, since I'm looking for the same thing as the author...just throwing out another possible option. So anyone have/had an XL-S??

Why are motorcycle GPS`s so expensive ???? & ones for autos so much cheaper .
Because they;

1. are waterproof

2. are built to withstand more shock vibration

3. are built in smaller quantities.

4. can

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll jump in and say that TomTom sucks. At least as far as North America is concerned. Garmin rules the roost.

Anyone else echo this sentiment??? I was looking at a refurb TomTom One XL-S for the wife, so it would be CAR-ONLY...for $119 + 2 bucks to ship.

So anyone have/had an XL-S??
Don't have an XL-S, but will echoe the sentiment that Garmin rules in US GPS because of the source of the data. TomTom is #1 in Europe but Garmin has a better database and interface for the US. Wathc for sales and the new/NOT refurb 200 series Nuvis now are in the $100-$150 range, with the wide screens slightly more. They fit into a ziplock baggie for use on the bike but won't do routing like the more expensive motorcycle units. You can also find plastic soap boxes for camping that the Nuvi will fit for protection when in your pocket or suitcase.

I bought a Garmin 260W for my wife back during the summer. She likes it just fine. I pd about $260 back then, but I think you can find it for about $200 now.

I ordered the Nuvi 750 got it for 206.00.

It has a lrger screen I think it will work good for my wife in her car.

Thanks for all the assistance.

i just read something negtive about Tomtom ??!!

I use a Tomtom now since 2 Years and it works super !

Very popular in Germany is the TomTom Rider and the Garmin Zumo 550 - both "just" for bikes, but you can also use it in a car. no Problem

Both Waterproof, MP3 player, bluetooth, etc,

The Price is +/- 500 - 550 € the TomTom with Europe-Software (not so interesting for you <_< ) is about 399 €

TomTom US

Garmin zumo 550 US

Interesting Yamaha Part

Fixing the Navi

It`s in german..

Greets from Germany

...I use a Tomtom now since 2 Years and it works super !

Both Waterproof, MP3 player, bluetooth, etc,
My understanding on the Zumo was that it did not do stereo over bluetooth. I could not find any information about the TomTom supporting stereo over bluetooth. Have you tried a stereo bluetooth headset with the TomTom?

For the TomTom you can use this one for example

Cardo scala-rider®-Bluetooth®-Headset

I don`t use the garmin, but here is a description

Zumo 550

Maybe its helpful

My understanding on the Zumo was that it did not do stereo over bluetooth.

I`m asking in the German Forum for you ! I tell you then !

For the TomTom you can use this one for exampleCardo scala-rider®-Bluetooth®-Headset

I don`t use the garmin, but here is a description

Zumo 550

Maybe its helpful

My understanding on the Zumo was that it did not do stereo over bluetooth.

I`m asking in the German Forum for you ! I tell you then !
From what i have been told by my buddy is yes it does not do stereo. They are coming out with a newer version soon and it will have the stereo capabilities.

Exactly what 08FJR4me said...No Stereo with the Zumo ! Just bad quality over bt !!!

And I did a mistake because when I`m listening to music while riding it`s from the i.pod under my seat...not from Tom...

But there`s no music on the road..just my wife from behind :p

I have the 760 nuvi and it works great!.... finds it target fast, recalculates the route fast and I have the RAM Aqua box on my FJR and it handles the rain

so far.....

For car use..... get it......... my uses it all the time..

B.

If you want a waterproof Nuvi, the 500 series is for you.
Funny...I've been a rabid garmin fan for years. My ex(s) both having handheld garmins for hunting and ocean nav chart assistance for some time.

Last Christmas Gordo bought a TomTom. A lower end model, just to see if we'd use one or not. Well, we did, a lot. I am sold an their usefulness.

This summer a friend moved out from Ontario. He bought a Nuvi 260W for the trip and to help him get around his new city, Victoria. I find his Garmin waaaaaay slower in acquiring signal, and it won't name streets the TomTom does. Some of the circuitous routes it sends him on too make me wonder WTF?

I guess everyone has a preference, but I would not agree TomTom 'sucks'. From what I understand there are only 1 or 2 companies that provide the mapping and waypoint info for these units anyways. So, the only real difference between models/manufacturers etc is OS's and hardware gidgies.

my 2 cents

Oh yeah....I'll likely drop $ on a TomTom Rider this spring and give it a whirl. $466 426.20 @ Amazon.com right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah....I'll likely drop $ on a TomTom Rider this spring and give it a whirl. $466 426.20 @ Amazon.com right now

This means 307 € today course.....thats quite cheap !! Here in Germany special offer for tomtom Rider (including a Route-planner, Fixing for Car, and Software West-Europe is cheapest 499 € .. thats about 692 USD !! :dribble: