need help with Yamaha top case mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just roy

Reaction score
when i purchased my bike i also ordered the trunk. well the trunk and pad are in but the mount is on back order and the date keeps getting rolled back. i want to attend eom but the wife isn't willing to ride 10+ hours with nothing to lean against. is there another mount that will hold the Yamaha top case? does anyone know of a dealer who might have this in stock? are there any other options? is the whole mounting kit just that piece of plastic shown in the Yamaha picture? any help would be appreciated. if it comes down to it i may try fabbing up the mount out of alum. time to fire up the big tig. :assassin:

when i purchased my bike i also ordered the trunk. well the trunk and pad are in but the mount is on back order and the date keeps getting rolled back. i want to attend eom but the wife isn't willing to ride 10+ hours with nothing to lean against. is there another mount that will hold the Yamaha top case? does anyone know of a dealer who might have this in stock? are there any other options? is the whole mounting kit just that piece of plastic shown in the Yamaha picture? any help would be appreciated. if it comes down to it i may try fabbing up the mount out of alum. time to fire up the big tig. :assassin:
I wouldn't advise trying to mount the case with anything other than the factory mount. If you need luggage space and the base plate doesn't make it, just fill a soft bag and bungie it to the rack. This way your brand new top box will be safe at home waiting for you. Might not be the case if you try and mount it without the factory base. Although.....with a tig at home you clearly have the knowledge/skills to fab one yourself. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't advise trying to mount the case with anything other than the factory mount. If you need luggage space and the base plate doesn't make it, just fill a soft bag and bungie it to the rack. This way your brand new top box will be safe at home waiting for you. Might not be the case if you try and mount it without the factory base. Although.....with a tig at home you clearly have the knowledge/skills to fab one yourself. Good luck
+1

The bags and mounts have a history of cracking and Yamaha came out with a new mount as a fix. There really is just one way to mount that bag. I'm sure that somebody somewhere is working overtime to crank them out, but in the meantime us users are short.

Wow, one year ago my trunk mount was also on backorder when I ordered it from Umotors. I guess Yami can't keep up on these mounts.

Both my wife and I wanted the trunk so that she'd have something to lean against. We were very unhappy with the positioning of the trunk because it puts her too close to me (I ride in a slouched position which pushes my back too far back into her and makes it really uncomfortable for me). I ended up making a setback plate that allows the factory trunk to be mounted further rearward without modifying the bike or the mount rack. I don't have a link handy, but I did post pictures earlier this year.

My mount works, but I'd really rather have something that looks better. Fabbing a custom mount would be the way to go and it's definitely possible. I just haven't had the time to design and build a new mount. If you do decide to go the custom route, make sure you design adjustment capability into your system.

Like Matt says, I can't imagine mounting the Yammie Trunk with anything other than the Yammie Mount. I wouldn't do it. Do as Matt suggests for storage. Do like I'm doing, the wife is staying home. Hope to see you at EOM.

Smoke

Is there a differance from gen 1 to gen 2 on the mount plate. I have a extra one. for gen 1

Yes there is a diffrence.

When I got my 06, I got the trunk first, then the bike, and the wrong (gen 1) mount. Sorry they said, it will be a few weeks till the new Gen II mounts come in.

I however used the Gen I mount for a few weeks with no real problems. You have to find some kind of spacer to use on the bolts as the angle of the Gen I mount is diffrent. You will also need to add some rubber bumpers to get it to sit straight and not jiggle alot.

you can see from this photo the gap at the rear of the bag using the older mount:

2737932390086768460S500x500Q85.jpg

But the Gen 1 mount can be used ...just not sure how safe it would be on a trip loaded up.

KM

It's been two years so my memory is abit foggy, but I think I used some longer bolts and some metal sleeve spacers I had laying about....basicly short sections of steel tubing, ID big enough for the bolts to go through. I used a few washers to dial in the gaps and get the thing level as best I could and added some stick on rubber pads I bought from Lowes. (where the furniture leg tips are found)

Looking back now I should have used something firmer..like double stick tape and aluminum or plastic instead of the rubber pads, as the case would wiggle up and down over bumps....because the extra levels of rubber where too "squishy".

The three holes on the Gen I mount line up with the three bolts on the tail of the Gen II...so no drilling is required...just using longer bolts and the spacers...

KM

Are you talking about that aluminum plate that comes with the bike ... fits on the tail section? I have no intention of getting a trunk, and I remember looking at that plate then setting it aside in the garage someplace. If this is what you are talking about ... I will gladly send you mine, saying I can find the thing. Its probably not what you need because mine just came with my 07.

Are you talking about that aluminum plate that comes with the bike ... fits on the tail section? I have no intention of getting a trunk, and I remember looking at that plate then setting it aside in the garage someplace. If this is what you are talking about ... I will gladly send you mine, saying I can find the thing. Its probably not what you need because mine just came with my 07.

I think the alumimum plate you have is the retro-fit piece they came up with to fit to exsisting cases...until the redesigned mounting plate was available. I had a "recall" mailed to me and I went in to the dealer and they installed the plate to my case..not the tail section of the bike.

I was unaware that 07's came with the plate, but it was durring that model year they began the recall's..if I recall.

I'm sure if the OP ends up fabbing a GEN I mount for his case , he wouldn't mind the extra security of having the metal plate too. (although I thought these were available for free to anyone with a Yamaha trunk)

KM

Darn, I could almost help you!

I gave my extra mount to the guy who bought my 05 (from the dealership after I spotted him one day by accident).

If you come up blank, try making contact with him.

Sending you a PM with as much contact info as I can recall.

after going to the dealer and picking up the trunk and pad and seeing how simple the mounting system was i decided to make the mount myself.

on the mill getting its mounting holes center drilled

trunkmount001.jpg

anyone want to guess where the plate came from?

trunkmount002.jpg

just setting on bike to get an idea of placement

trunkmount003.jpg

wider view

trunkmount004.jpg

from side spacers are sockets, i will make standoffs from 3/4 stainless bar

trunkmount005.jpg

will be mounted with countersunk screws. holes allow for 2" of adjustment in 1/2" increments

trunkmount006.jpg

Will be painting it black for now. i may mill some slots along the edges for tie down straps. this is only temporary if i have the time this winter i will take it and the stock rack off and make a new rack incorporating this. that will allow me to lower it almost 2". then i will have the whole thing powder coated. but with my record of completions it will still be on there when i die. if anyone has any ideas on how to improve this or little things that could make it better feel free to chime in as more ideas are welcome.

finished making mount

stand offs. stainless bar taped M8-1.25 on one end and 5/16-18 on the other with M8-1.25 stainless stud inserted

trunkmount001-1.jpg

stand offs installed back one shorter to try to get trunk level with ground instead of tipped forward like stock. i don't know how this will look in use but it is easy to change if it has to.

trunkmount002-1.jpg

bracket mounted to bike. used 5/16-18 stainless screws, i couldn't find flat head only round head so i sanded them flat which made them turn slightly blue. i will lightly sand them when i paint the rack to get rid of the blue

trunkmount003-1.jpg

bag on bike

trunkmount004-1.jpg

another view of bag on bike

trunkmount005-1.jpg

tomorrow i will get the wife on it to see if it needs to be adjusted front to rear or tilted. then it's on to paint. I would really appreciate any comments on the mount or suggestions on how to make this better. if anyone is interested in a mount like this just bring a 14"X18" piece of 1/4 alum plate and a few cold Pepsi's to my house and we will make a duplicate. I'm not interested in going into any kind of business but i like to help people and have a number of tools that i don't mind showing people how to use. i have a complete machine shop with welding and heat treating. so if anyone has something they want to create just come on over and we will give it a try.if you need to spend the night you can have the grandkids room, if you don't mind bunk beds. my next project will be a mount for the cc100, then a top triple clamp like a heli, then a fork brace, then.....

You just found yourself a new side business, I would love it if my case was about 1-2" further back on the bike so the passenger has a little more room without removing the pad.

Good job!

JW

Roy that looks great and it has to be 10 times more durable than the stock one. I broke the original and had to modify the second one with a steel frame epoxied into the plastic mount. So far so good. I like the mountain roads and I like the trunk, instead of having bags on all the time, makes spitting traffic a lot easier.

Good job, Dan.