Need new gear, please help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionswings

Reaction score
I'm needing some new summer gear and I really can't afford Motoport. I would like to keep my spending around $200 on each piece, pants and jacket. I was looking at the Olympia Airglide but some cheaper gear seems like it may be just as protective. I was also looking at the Rev'it Turbine gear, more than I want to spend but may be worth it. My only problem with the Rev'it may be the way the jacket would fix. I have a 42" chest and 33" waist. According to there site the jacket that would fit my chest is made for like a 36 or 37" waist. Right now I ride with a Cortech GX Air and jeans. I'm getting older and a little smarter and want to be safer. Any opinions or insight would be great. Thanks so much!

Rod

I was looking at the Olympia Airglide but some cheaper gear seems like it may be just as protective.
No. Check out the armor and the materials in the Olympia. They are nowhere near as good as the Motoport. I understand that the gear is expensive but in this case you do get what you pay for. Read up about the materials on the motoport website and you will see the difference.

Good luck with your choice.

If you have questions about the fit of Rev'it gear, call or email Dennis at Beach Moto <clicky>. He's very familiar with Rev'it. He helped me to get a Rev'it riding jacket for the wife that actually fits her.

Or, if you're ever in the mood for a road trip, come to Columbus and visit the Iron Pony's super-duper-ultra-mega store. It's a former Kmart store and it's all motorcycle stuff. Just make sure you've got plenty of room on your credit cards (they love it when Wayne (extrememarine) passes through town!) and give me a shout - I'll treat you to some wings or something.

So, with that having been said, remember that when it comes to riding gear, you get what you pay for. What would be cheaper - shelling out the dough for good gear that'll last a long time and offer top-notch protection in case the worst should happen, or a skin graft?

Ride safe,

BG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Tourmaster Intake Mesh jacket . .works great up to 95.. past that anything is hot . The rain liner works great , have ridden in 4" /hr downpours . The insulated liner+ rain liner has let me get down to the mid 40's in relative comfort. I have 5 Bike jackets, this one gets the most use.

I like my Airglide a lot. I believe mine is a 2nd generation. I recommended it to my brother who discovered that there is now a 3rd generation version that separates the waterproof barrier from the insulated liner - so you have 3 pieces instead of 2. Since he could get a 2nd generation like mine for about $150 vs $250 (I seem to recall) for the 3rd generation he wondered what option I would choose if I had it to do over again. I told him that since I paid about $230 fo mine I would have paid the extra $20 for the added flexibility but the $100 savings he was looking at would give me pause. I haven't worn mine with the liner in for rain on warm days to know if the insulation would be too much. With that major limited experience I haven't regreted my purchase. Good quality and the most visible "hi-viz" I've seen.

I'm a tourmaster guy and I only do business with newenough.com

Call their apparel customer service number and ask for Aaron after perusing their websight

He can answer any questions even though a good description and real world opinion is posted on every item's page

Summer; Warm Weather

1 Tour Master Venture Air Pants - Black, Size XXL [$166.49]

1 FirstGear Hiprotec Armor, One Pair - Black, One [$22.45]

1 Tour Master Sonora Air Mesh Jacket Hi-Visibility Yellow/Black, Size XL [$179.99]

Winter and proven by me waterproof

1 Tour Master Caliber Pants - Black, Size XXL [$143.99]

1 FirstGear Hiprotec Armor, One Pair - Black, One [$22.45]

1 Tour Master Epic Textile Jacket - Hi-Visibility Yellow, Size XL [$251.99]

1 Tour Master Winter Elite Gloves - Black, Size XL [$98.99]

I agree with Fred . . . I too just scored a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 Jackets for my wife & I at our local Hardly Davidson dealer who isn't carrying Olymia anymore - guess it's not popular pirate wear - but they great jackets and I'm very impressed with Olympia's quality, materials, and features - I also snagged a Olympia Transition GT Air while I was there . . . absolutely love it and a big step up from the FirstGear jackets I've been wearing for the last few years.

I was looking at the Olympia Airglide but some cheaper gear seems like it may be just as protective.
No. Check out the armor and the materials in the Olympia. They are nowhere near as good as the Motoport. I understand that the gear is expensive but in this case you do get what you pay for. Read up about the materials on the motoport website and you will see the difference.

Good luck with your choice.
I read that as "he thinks he found some cheaper gear that is just as protective as Olympia".

To which I would reply: check the fabrics. Oly uses Cordura 500 minimum, not just plain polyester, and all of their armor is CE approved. Which is why I recommend and use them over just about any other "off the rack" manufacturer. They do use better materials. Not Motoport level, but better than most, and their prices are on part with their competition despite using those better materials.

Motoport is great. Excellent in fact. They'd be even greater if the prices were at least 25% less. I know it's custom and all that. Just sayin, shit is expensive.

You don't always get what you pay for, but with MP you do... it's still a tough pill to swallow.

PS: Welcome from Roseville!

I like my Olympa Airglide 2. The waterproof insulated liner makes a great casual jacket for all occasions. Olympia stuff fits well. I like the Tourmaster stuff too, but don't have any.

The closeout prices on Airglide 2 are good, and I'd rather have it than the 3, personally.

I like my Olympa Airglide 2. The waterproof insulated liner makes a great casual jacket for all occasions. Olympia stuff fits well. I like the Tourmaster stuff too, but don't have any.
The closeout prices on Airglide 2 are good, and I'd rather have it than the 3, personally.

At first I was confused as no one ever agrees with Fred..Then it hit me.

You an him been doing some kissing ain't ya?

Your price for a night of sheep love has now quadrupled.

:jester:

At first I was confused as no one ever agrees with Fred..Then it hit me.

You an him been doing some kissing ain't ya?

Your price for a night of sheep love has now quadrupled.

:jester:
Welcome from San Diego!

I don't think you can go wrong with the Tour Master and Cortech lines. I have an HRX and a GX Air jacket (both the original, not the current "2" jackets,) and the HRX is a little beefier, I think. Everything I have is mesh, and I've "tested" the HRX twice, and I'm still wearing it, coming up on 3 years old. I've only worn the GX Air once, I found it lighter, actually a little cooler inside, but not as comfortable somehow (collar and cuffs,) and I don't like the snap straps on the sleeves, which are not on the HRX. The HRX is pricier, though.

I don't even own a pair of regular riding pants, just the T.M. Venture Air overpants. Easy to wear getting to work, easy to shed once there. "Tested" once, still wearing them.

I am looking to buy my wife and I new mesh jackets and pants. I would like to find gear that matches. Does anyone have matching gear or know a company that sells matching gear in both mens and womens cuts?

Well, I can certainly vouch for Olympia Airglide 2's.

I was in a lowside last year on an SV going about 40 mph. I didn't get a scratch on me. Moreover, the jacket looked barely touched.

I use a cooling jacket under the Airglide when it gets above 95. It worked well last year.

I've been wearing the Cortech Air2 mesh for a couple seasons, it has around 60k miles on it and is still going strong.

Sure the Motoport stuff is better but I think the GX Air2 will protect you in a get off very well too.

I agree that if the Motorport guys actually cared about the MC public they would make their gear more affordalble to more folks and hey the much hiegher volume of sales would actually generate higher returns.

Motoport guys around here are almost as bad as the Amsoil guys........

:p

I had Wayne measure me years ago before there was an FJRForum for his gear. I considered getting some. Bottom line.......it's freaking expensive, and it's FUGLY! Now for Johnny80s who is a FUGLY Mo-Fo to begin with, that's not such a big deal. But for a pretty-boy like me........... ;)

If I was willing to drop $$$ for gear, I'd probably try Aerostitch first. They seem to be the darling of the LD crowd.

Motoport guys around here are almost as bad as the Amsoil guys........

Amsoil has polluted the mechanical forums on the internet much like BP is the scourge of Th Gulf. I fear ever pouring into an engine may cause the the re-arranging of my grey matter and that I too would become an unreasonable and relentless A-Hole . . . . not saying that it's not good stuff . . . . just that uncorking that shizit seems to result in one losing their freaking minds.