Need some Ear Plug Advice!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q-Tips are not good for you. Mainly because people put them in their ear canal. Q-Tips are only for use in the outer ear. If you use them regularly in the ear canal you will pack the dirt against your ear drum. I used to clean mine regularly with Q-Tips but after several trips to the doctor to have them cleaned out I started using peroxide and that little squeeze bottle to clean my ears. I use the foamies but they don't really fit in my ear canal right they just sort of sit and block the outside of my ear canal. I can't find a pair of ear plugs that fit very well.

So for the guy with the tubes in his ears that can taste the alcohol if he does it right: does milk come out your ears as well as your nose when you laugh??

Isopropyl alcohol is not expensive and will not effect the ear plugs. Let them set at least once a week for an over night or so. I always use ear plugs, ride over 20k per year and have never had any issues with ear infections.

Just wash the Heros with soap and water and they should be fine, and do like my old man used to tell me when i wasn't listening to him: "get the shit out of your ears."

I have been ordering these from Amazon and custom making my own. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XULPSQ

I find there is enough stuff in one package to make two pairs, and they are not that restrictive so i can listen to music clearly.

Buy a box of the cheap/soft foamies.

That's what I've been using - little yellow foam plugs that I picked up at a drugstore. You just roll them between your thumb & index to make them compress, insert & done. I usually hrow them away as soon as they start looking a little bit grungy. Been using them for several years now doing 8-12 hour riding days with no problems.

Buy a box of the cheap/soft foamies.

That's what I've been using - little yellow foam plugs that I picked up at a drugstore. You just roll them between your thumb & index to make them compress, insert & done. I usually hrow them away as soon as they start looking a little bit grungy. Been using them for several years now doing 8-12 hour riding days with no problems.
Well I went up to the BMW National Rally last week specifically for ear plugs and some other goodies from the vendors and of course to see old friends.

On top was ear plugs and in particular Brite Ears for ear plugs. Brite Ears Web Site First I tried the normal 19-21 DB reduction ones. They are a full ear plug. I lost too much sound so next day went back and bought these AR-15's. These are made for musicians and are a flat noise reduction over all ranges and are more of a short inside the ear plug. They are by no means cheap and must be molded and sent to a lab. The full ears where done in an hour, but these need the lab to finish and install the changeable filters. The full ear was very comfortable from the first time I put them in. As I said they just blocked too much sound for my comfort and at 19 -21 DB it is a true 19-21 DB reduction. Once in place they are there and all sound passes through the filter. Interesting to me was that when dropping 3 DB it lowers the blocked noise by 50%. I was concerned because of going to 15 DB reduction from 19-21. However after hearing the difference it is exactly what I needed to be comfortable being able to hear ambient back round noises. I have never experienced such a noise reduction while riding and it was heaven even in the full ear.

They are made of silicone with a coating and slide in and out very easy when you get used to the twist in and out. I could not see how silicone when kept clean with soap and water would give you any type of infection.

They are not cheap as any custom molded ear plug is going to be pricey but being 54 my hearing needs protection now and I wanted the best quality and material I could find.

I got them in clear.

They also have duel driver custom ear plugs that just will rock your world, man they were sweet. I am a Bluetooth addict so they were off the table for me but they did sound great. They also will mold a ear plug onto your phones Bluetooth ear bud and that was very cool.

Anyway I am waiting on the AR 15's to come in the mail and report back after some extended time. To the OP I am not sure how it will turn out for you but a silicone is very easy to clean and if you would get an infection from them I would say you can not wear ear plugs, period.

I just tried Mack's Soft Moldable Silicone Earplugs (AKA "soft pillow") and these putty-like plugs seem to stay in place better than the foam earplugs when pulling my helmet on/off. Wish they made 'em in a 30db rating.