Need Some Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleskinner

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to installing a set of Magnum Blasters on my '06 FJR. Built my own wiring harness. Installed a 30amp relay. You know the old adage "Measure Twice - Cut Once".......well I didn't screw up on my cutting, but instead of checking once more on the great threads on the forum regarding the horn install, I just connected everything up. I screwed up and connected the two leads from the old horn wires to terminals 87 and 30 and my hot line to 85 and 86. The relay clicked when I attached the hot lead and when I turned on the ignition to check the horn I got nothing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I reconnected the proper way and no horn. I checked all fuses and all were fine. All lights and flashers work properly. I used my multi-meter to check things. No power to either of the old horn leads, right or left side. Yes, I had the ignition on when testing. I checked the relay by attaching a hot lead to 85 and 86 and the horn worked fine........man those suckers are loud!!!! I just can't get any juice through the horn switch to trip the relay.

Is there a separate, in-line fuse for the horn, or perhaps a relay somewhere? Maybe I fried the horn switch itself....I sure hope not....I just called the Yamaha shop to see if a new switch was in stock and they said that the switch is not available by itself; it comes as a whole unit for $160. Ouch!!! I thought that before I tore into the switch, I would see what some of you think.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Comments regarding my stupidity should be of the kind and gentle nature - my head is hurting enough from beating myself over the noggin!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Thanks to all of you for the great info that is available on this forum.

Looking at the wiring diagram. There is a seperate fuse for the horn.

Did you check the fuses with a meter? Or did you just look at them. Sometimes they look fine even when they are blown.

After looking at the diagram a little closer. The switch provides a ground to the horn. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took a look at the wiring diagram, and the horn should be on the "signaling system" circuit (15 amp fuse). Also on this circuit is the glove box solenoid, so if you can't open the glove box, then look for the blown 15 amp fuse. The front brake light switch looks like its on this circuit as well. FYI.

If it does come down to a switch, there are used controls on ebay right now. Looks like an 03 and an 05 are being parted out.

-MD

I had a little more time to look at things when I got home this evening - in addition to the horn not working, the brake lights don't work either. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: The tail light is fine and so are the headlights.

I'm heading back out into the garage to check things a little farther.

You didn't mention windshield. Does it go up and down?

Signaling system fuse.

Brake lights, horn, glove box relay, windshield drive, and factory grip warmers are all on that fuse, if I haven't gone completely cross-eyed on that wiring diagram.

I don't see a common junction or connector between all those devices other than the fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a little more time to look at things when I got home this evening - in addition to the horn not working, the brake lights don't work either. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: The tail light is fine and so are the headlights.
That would be the 15 amp fuse I mentioned then. I would bet the farm that the glove box won't open either.

Well, after stripping off half the plastic and not finding any other fuses, I decided to go back and check all of the main fuses with my ohm meter.

Wouldn't you know, one of them was bad - the one labeled "Flashers". That was one I overlooked on the first go around because the flashers worked just fine. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

What a relief - My wife and I are taking off with four other couples for 10 day trip. Three other bikes (Harleys) and one couple in a Jeep. We are trailering the bikes down to central Utah and riding a big loop through Bryce and Zion's Canyons, and the N Rim of the Grand Canyon. Then up through Monument Valley, the Million Dollar Highway in SW Colorado, through Arches and Moab and then back to the trailer.

On our trip last year through Yellowstone, I figured out why Harley riders like their bikes so loud - - at least that way it "feels" like they are going fast when they pass a car!

I appreciate all of your input. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

good on ya

happened to me installing a sterio in my ole Lexus years ago

blade fuse looked OK visually, but was bad via ohm meter

I thought I had fried the unit itself based just on observation

funny thing, my engineer buddy who was a second set of eyes weeks later found the bad fuse

ironicly, I remember his comment well: "Grasshopper, not always what it seems lil one"