Need to change my gloves, wich one should I buy ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
Time for me to have new gloves, surf the net to find out what's the best on the market now.

I found some good reviews on the Held gloves, I am wondering if they really are the best on the market actually.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

I have a pair of Cycleport kevlar gloves that I wear unlees it's just cold as hell. I wear my Gerbing heated gloves at that point. I live in North Texas, so it does get hot here, and I don't have any issues with the gloves being uncomfortable. I like them and I like the protection the offer fo everyday riding. Plus, the customer service at Cycleport is great.

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix III gloves. Very comfortable in the heat, thin enough I can feel buttons like the cruise control or the garage door keypad, and very good knuckle protection (crash tested twice.) I never put my palms down in my 2 crashes, but the hard knuckle guard showed its usefulness. Short glove, no gauntlet, breathable mesh. Very comfortable in my Florida climate.

My cold/wet weather gloves are Teknic Thunder. Bought them for waterproof (which they are) but they are heavy enough for what passes for winter here, down to mid-30s. Mid-20's for short periods. Bulky, can't feel buttons through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Churchill deer skin for just about all conditions. Waterproof them with Sno-seal and they are more abraison resistant than cow hide.

Another Joe Rocket Phoenix owner here, although don't plan on doing any crash testing.

Roadgear "Boss" are my winter gloves. Not too bulky, and with the heated grips, are plenty warm enough down to about 20 degrees. Waterproofing has held up well. I likey.

I found some good reviews on the Held gloves, I am wondering if they really are the best on the market actually.
They used to be, now they are made elsewhere there is some question about that. FWIW I like my Steve gloves well enough. When I was researching the topic there was someone in Cali (San Francisco I believe) making custom gloves that was getting rave reviews. Can't remember the name, maybe it's on webbikeworld?

No matter what gloves you go with, I would say first, make sure you get the right fit. If they are too loose, the chances of them coming off in a crash is high. They need to fit snug and then let them stretch with break in.

I have a pair of Lee Parks deer gloves that I love, I purchased them at the Motorcycle show this past November, from Lee Parks. They showed me how to fit them correctly. They are very supple, fit great, and I can easily handle things with them on - handle bar controls, gps, etc.

Ron

Time for me to have new gloves, surf the net to find out what's the best on the market now.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
I have had 2 pairs of Held gloves (1 was Steve and I forgot the name of the other one) and they never lasted more than a year, a year and a half in SoCal. Both of them had holes worn through on the finger tips just by regular use and rendered them useless.

I'm now on a pair of Lee Park Sport gloves. Not sure how long it'll last... :)

I have a pair of Cycleport kevlar gloves...I live in North Texas Fresno, so it does get hot here (110+), and I don't have any issues with the gloves being uncomfortable. I like them and I like the protection they offer for everyday riding. Plus, the customer service at Cycleport is great.
2247302-plus1.gif

And I don't think they'll ever wear out. I had some Helds. One day, after about a year, a hole just appeared in the thumb! Sure glad I didn't need those for protection. My little dog enjoys chewing on them now. The Cycleports are cheaper than the Helds I had, and they're machine washable if I ever think they need it....

First, www.webbikeworld.com has numerous glove reviews.

Everybody looks at the abrasion protection across the knuckles without looking enough at the bottom side. Most people instinctively put their hand flat when they're falling to land on the palm. The result is shattering the wrist. Held and some others put extra padding there to spread the shock across the wrist.

Racers found they had a lot of broken pinkie fingers and to help against this, better gloves now tend to have the pinky and ring fingers loosely connected. As you fall on the palm and come forward, it's to give the pinky some strength and from folding back to your wrist. Not a bad idea.

Most people instinctively put their hand flat when they're falling to land on the palm. The result is shattering the wrist.
Learned the hard way, from skiing, not to stick appendages out when falling. Dislocated shoulders aren't much fun....

I seem to wear two sets of gloves almost exclusively. A pair of Joe Rocket cheapies in cool weather, and, a pair of rebranded Held Kevlar Mesh in the heat. Both I picked up at Royal Distributing tent sales for less than $25 a pair. The mesh are great in the heat!

That being said, I really should pick up a decent set of rain gloves, this reverse alopecia is a pain in the ass.

Castle mesh for dry 65+ F

Joe rocket neutrino for wet 40+ F, or dry 40-65 F. Starting to wear out the palms after 40k miles.

Tourmaster winter elite for < 40F wet or dry

I have goofy hands and find I can eliminate most gloves by trying them on.

I have a pair of Cycleport kevlar gloves...I live in North Texas Fresno, so it does get hot here (110+), and I don't have any issues with the gloves being uncomfortable. I like them and I like the protection they offer for everyday riding. Plus, the customer service at Cycleport is great.
2247302-plus1.gif

And I don't think they'll ever wear out. I had some Helds. One day, after about a year, a hole just appeared in the thumb! Sure glad I didn't need those for protection. My little dog enjoys chewing on them now. The Cycleports are cheaper than the Helds I had, and they're machine washable if I ever think they need it....
+2 After you talk to them and watch their videos they will make you a believer. Comfortable over an amazing temperature range which is important for us Canuckistanians! The only other gloves I now carry on tour are my long gauntlet waterproof deerskins which are da shit for deluges.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

I've had my Held Steve gloves for 3 years, went through a few suprise thunderstorms, dried out fine. Excellent dexterity, comfort and yes, I'll buy another set when needed. Others I have are vented First Gear https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Pr...B7?opendocument when it's really hot and https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Pr...A2?opendocument when it's really cold. HTH

First, www.webbikeworld.com has numerous glove reviews.
Everybody looks at the abrasion protection across the knuckles without looking enough at the bottom side. Most people instinctively put their hand flat when they're falling to land on the palm. The result is shattering the wrist. Held and some others put extra padding there to spread the shock across the wrist.

Racers found they had a lot of broken pinkie fingers and to help against this, better gloves now tend to have the pinky and ring fingers loosely connected. As you fall on the palm and come forward, it's to give the pinky some strength and from folding back to your wrist. Not a bad idea.

Thanks for the link, I went on webbikeworld and I notice that the best warm weather glove is the Roadgear Carbonmax, I placed an order for a pair.

For the cold weather my wife will buy me a pair of Gerbing :)

Now have to buy something for middle temperature :rolleyes:

I have a pair of Helimot gloves that I love. They are custom made and they are to most comfortable gloves I have ever worn. Helimot is in San Jose and they have some high end stuff. I had to trace my hand and then sent it to them. I have the Buffalo 365's and they are very well made. I highly recommend them. I think you can get custom made gloves from Helimot for about the price of Helds. The left glove has a small strip on the index finger to allow you to use it as a wiper on your face shield in the rain. Rich

https://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=65

Thanks for all the advices.

I went with the BMG Rapido Glove, very cheap for what the offer according to Web Bike World

I have a pair of Helimot gloves that I love. They are custom made and they are to most comfortable gloves I have ever worn. Helimot is in San Jose and they have some high end stuff. I had to trace my hand and then sent it to them. I have the Buffalo 365's and they are very well made. I highly recommend them. I think you can get custom made gloves from Helimot for about the price of Helds. The left glove has a small strip on the index finger to allow you to use it as a wiper on your face shield in the rain. Richhttps://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=65
FWIW that's the glove I was trying to think of. People that own seem to love them, they will get a serious consideration for my next pair.