Need to know interest level for new Garmin Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may consider the Zumo but I think I'm leaning more toward the 2820. whats the current/ projected price dif in the 2.

Is the zumo the "upgrade" for the 20? if so will the 2820 drop when the zumo is released.

My focus is primarily - bluetooth and mp3

As some of you may know, been trying to help out this forum in the past years with discount and benefits for GPS from my company to FJR owners.
Now I need your help, been looking to carry tons of Garmin Zumo 550's this 4th quarter and like to get your impression of how popular this unit will be.

I been trying to market it as both vehicle and motorcycle GPS navigation, but I have not really been very successful selling into the motorcycle market, everyone wish to buy units at our cost or even less.

So I would like to know what the interest level is for this new Garmin Zumo and what are the plus and minus for this system. It is under MRP so the price is $999 if you buy it through an authorized Garmin dealer, if they sell it for less, Garmin stop shipping to them.

How many of you would consider buying this at the $999 price and if not, what price does it have to be before you pick one up this year.

Here is the link to the Garmin Zumo 550 for those of you that are not familiar with this product.

Garmin Zumo 550
Mine new Garmin Zumo 550 should be here on Monday, October 3rd and I'll let you guys know what I think!!

I checked it out and it just didn't seem worth the price. I ended up going with a 2730. Found a new one on eBay without the XM antenna/reciever for $599. Didn't really care about the XM but wanted the MP3 capability.

$1000 for the Zumo seems way too expensive considering it doesn't even come with the XM antenna/reciever. That's a $270 option if you buy it from Garmin. So you figure all said and done you're in for almost $1300 for GPS/XM/Shipping. Plus I don't even know how much available memory you have for MP3's. I'm guessing not much since you can buy SD cards for it.

That's just crazy if you ask me. :blink:

You can get the 2730 much cheaper, it has around 1 Gig of space for MP3's, and comes with the XM antenna/reciever. The only thing you don't get is expandable memory and Bluetooth.

I checked it out and it just didn't seem worth the price. I ended up going with a 2730. Found a new one on eBay without the XM antenna/reciever for $599. Didn't really care about the XM but wanted the MP3 capability.
$1000 for the Zumo seems way too expensive considering it doesn't even come with the XM antenna/reciever. That's a $270 option if you buy it from Garmin. So you figure all said and done you're in for almost $1300 for GPS/XM/Shipping. Plus I don't even know how much available memory you have for MP3's. I'm guessing not much since you can buy SD cards for it.

That's just crazy if you ask me. :blink:

You can get the 2730 much cheaper, it has around 1 Gig of space for MP3's, and comes with the XM antenna/reciever. The only thing you don't get is expandable memory and Bluetooth.
Yeap, some of us are just crazy, I want to own a 2007 or 2008 Yamaha, call me crazy if you want, but I want the latest and greatest. ;)

And don't forget the most important part of what's missing from the 2730 that is included in the Zumo 550

1] SiRF III GPS receiver! There is a big difference in GPS reception in heavily wooded area or urban canyon areas. :D

2] Internal Battery so you can use it while you are in your hotel room and plan your route for next day ride :D

3] Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls :D

4] Smaller portable size then the 2730 :D

5] Bluetooth hands free calling a big plus :D

6] Oversized icons and menus made for a motorcycle but can be use in a vehicle :D

7] Includes motorcycle mount as well as an automotive mount with built-in speaker for vehicle use so you don't have to pay extra for motorcycle mount :D

8] SD card expansion slot provides for storage of additional map data, MP3s and for route and track log sharing and you stated "Plus I don't even know how much available memory you have for MP3's. I'm guessing not much since you can buy SD cards for it." what was this all about? :D

9] Motorcycle console for trip information – includes resetable fuel gauge :D

10] Can be used with MotionBased™ for online route sharing, track viewing and to enable online communities of riders :D

11] Export and review routes in Google™ Earth, with a free account from www.MotionBased.com :D

12] Compatible with the optional Garmin Travel Guide™ data on SD card – giving users helpful reviews and recommendations for restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, sporting events and tourist attractions :D

13] Compatible with the optional Garmin SaversGuide® data on SD card – the first geo-coded “coupon book” that notifies users of nearby discounts on restaurants, hotels, dry cleaners, auto repair shops, and much more :D

14] Compatible with the optional Garmin Language Guide data on SD card - translates words and phrases in text and audible speech :D

15] Garmin Lock™ anti-theft feature – when enabled, users must input a PIN number to use the device. Backup feature allows users to associate a security location, which will unlock the unit when within 50 meters of that location :D

16] High bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant touch screen display – 2.8”W x 2.1”H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels :D

AND I BET IF YOU GO ON EBAY, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND a Zumo 550 FOR only $699.99 +S/H so for $100 more then what you have paid for on eBay, I would say THIS IS THE BEST DEAL AROUND and I know I am not crazy! Got to watch out for eBay, lots of returns open box sold as new and not really supported by Garmin if you don't have a receipt from an authorzied Garmin dealer. buyer beware!

But who am I to say? you think you got a steal from eBay and I think the reason is the 2730 is not as popular of a product for Garmin as they would like it to be, and they are trying to find a model that is accepted like the Nuvi in the motorcycle communities, so here comes the Zumo 550.

If you own a 2730, it is a GREAT GPS system and I would sell your XM receiver on eBay for about $100 if you are not using it, but if you like the rest of the features I listed that is not included in the Garmin 2730, then I would say the Zumo is the answer for you.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out some of the differences.

Here is a link to motorcycle compare charts Garmin Compare Chart for motorcycles :yahoo:

GatorFJR

" Mine new Garmin Zumo 550 should be here on Monday, October 3rd and I'll let you guys know what I think!!"

Share the wealth! Which dealer did you order it from and is it certain that you are being ship the Zumo 550 units? Are you a Garmin dealer?

I have to check if my inventory order has shipped.

Thanks

04FJR4ME

Other than the deal you are now offering that's about the only place I've seen a good price on a Zumo. eBay is selling them in the $800 range as of now. Still no where near your price. I agree with your assesment of eBay. That's the chance you take with using eBay. Prices can also wildy fluctuate at any given time.

You asked for our thoughts on the Zumo so I gave you mine. I just don't see the few features it offers as being superior to the 2730. You get a battery and bluetooth but no XM antenna/reciever on a XM ready unit.

The motorcycle mounting bracket is less than impressive if you ask me. Other than the locking Touratech mount I purchased for the price of $115, I have yet to see a secure motorcycle GPS mount. Ram-mounts never impressed me.

I like to have the latest and greatest myself, I just don't feel the Zumo is it. That's my personal opinion though. The price you are offering on the unit through the program you have come up, brings it closer to what it should be IMO.

Just offering my .02 on the Zumo. It's a good product just not great IMO. Kudos to you for helping out the community with your discount offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal opinion is that the Zumo is more hype than deliverance - too much for not enough.

I personally prefer the higher resolution and increased numbers of waypoints of the 276/376/378/478 and where the weather feature is fully implemented.

I don't need the Bluetooth feature because my cellphone plugs into my Autocom and I don't want to use my navigator as an MP3 player, because it's just another device I'd need to keep synched up. The 376 includes the XM puck that the Zumo wants extra $$$ for.

So I'll stick with my 276c, thanks. I don't need full continent mapping (if I did I'd go wth the 378 or 478), 3D display.

The new chipset cannot resolve mutipath errors in downtown canyons, no matter what Garmin may claim - though it is sensitive enough to maintain lock through heavy leaf coverage - in other words, sensitive enough for virtually anything I'm likely to toss at it.

Bike mounting the 276c and it's bigger brothers requires a $15 part from RAM - everything else was in the box - so THAT advantage is moot.

The rechargeable battery lasts a LOT longer on the 276.

I don't own a boat, but the 276+ all do that, in addition to the excellent automotive performance.

I'm not a fan of touchscreens for bike use - but I suspect the 'optimised for left handed, gloved use' that the Zumo implements will almost certainly prove to be more difficult t use in a car - again, not so in the 276/376/378/478. .

So I vote for other models be more popular than the Zumo once the initial hype wears off.

I don't believe that you will need all THAT many of the Zumo in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
276/376 is probably one of the best GPS for motorcycle use IMO. Only thing I don't like is having to us Garmin memory cards. Wish they used cheaper SD cards.

I am currently looking for a good gps unit, but as a recent college graduate I owe the gov't too much money to drop $1k on a gps. After reading these posts I am definitely taking a good look at the 2610. $400 is still a good chunk of change, but definitely more up my alley!