need your help with wife

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife was the one who told me I should go for it! I was the one who was hesitant to splurge on a new FJR!

Tell her that a new bike is A LOT less expensive than a girlfriend...and you can both ride together. (Of course, you could also ride a girlfriend together - if she's into that sort of thing.)

My wife used to say I said what she wanted to hear, but did what I wanted anyway. Maybe that'll work for ya. :rolleyes:

See, I can say that crap too. Just choose not to, therefore I'm multi-divorced. :)
Jeff, did you keep copious notes on 'em like you do the tires? Maybe that's got something to do with it.

What has the wife got to do with it?
Tend to agree but generally causes problems!

How does that famous quote go? "Its easier to ask for forgiveness then to beg for permission" Not sure that's quite right but it will have to do for now.
Agree, learned when I was 13 if I asked something the answer was always, NO! If it was reasonable generally it was OK later. It maybe too late for this approach if it's already been discussed.

Just tell her it's on SALE, ...works every time.
follow up with you had a coupon. Then tell her to go buy that horse she wants.

One thing you don't mention is your ability to pay for the bike. If you can easily afford it, then justifying it at home should be almost fun, but...

These are pretty turbulent economic times, and "retail therapy" is like giving an alcoholic one for the road. If you're upside down on your mortgage, if you're running a balance on your credit card, if you have kids and hope they'll go to college, if your job is at all in question, then at least pause long enough to figure out what you'll have to give up.

-- or buy used.

Ok i want a new 08 fjr never had one never drove one but want one so bad . The yamaha dealer in northern maine just got a new one in .
So i have tried every excuse to get that 08 she says wait till 09 maybe they will change some things and get more options.

What are some of the excuses you guys have used ???? that have worked on your wife to get your new bike . :)
You're asking US for advice??? :unsure: About buying an FJR? :blink: And then justifying it to or placating your wife-unit? :dribble:

Let's see, we're strangers, we don't know the dynamics of your household...we don't know your financial situation...we have no idea your wife's fears about you riding/providing for her future...and 999 other issues.

I suppose that's why I'm divorced and single.....and I like it that way. BTDT with a wife who thought SHE should make every decision...until I made THE decision that she was wrong.

Yamaha is not likely to change anything in '09, except the color. This isn't your "Father's Oldsmobile", they're not going to offer more options. On the surface (refer to my first paragraph about what we DON'T know) this appears to be a control maneuver, because she has it. If you do buy one, she won't want you riding on Saturdays, either.

[SIZE=8pt]Just my negative assumptions based on my past failures at relationships.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Then tell her to go buy that horse she wants.
Please, don't do that!!! As horse owners, I can assure you that money and horses are mutually exclusive. Motorcycles can never, ever reach the expense and time consumption levels of a horse. On the other hand, the years (decades actually) of horse riding has made my wife the Perfect Pillion, as they say in horse parlance, she sits the perfect seat. She also takes awesome pictures while under way, no matter what.

RoadView.jpg

Ok i want a new 08 fjr never had one never drove one but want one so bad . The yamaha dealer in northern maine just got a new one in .
So i have tried every excuse to get that 08 she says wait till 09 maybe they will change some things and get more options.

What are some of the excuses you guys have used ???? that have worked on your wife to get your new bike . :)
I ran this through the translator:

"Wait until 09 because maybe it will change" = "I will think about it" which = "No".

I recommend copious groveling and begging for starters . . . . :rolleyes:

Totally and completely live here for the next 3 weeks,...loosing yourself in into the wee hours,.. in front of a flickering monitor with a drooling,... yet lost look on you'r face. If she dosen't realize how much it mean's to you and... HER ability to check her own e-mails then she is without compassion and needs to be traded.

-Don

I ran this through the translator:
"Wait until 09 because maybe it will change" = "I will think about it" which = "No".
There is your answer...short, sweet and to the point!

I recommend copious groveling and begging for starters . . . . :rolleyes:
Here's the part I have trouble with. Groveling? And begging? From a grown man who helps or supports his family? I refer you back to my post about not knowing the dynamics of his household.

How does that famous quote go? "Its easier to ask for forgiveness then to beg for permission" Not sure thats quite right but it will have to do for now.
With my wife, she knows that it comes out of "my money" as opposed to "her" money or "our" money. (Trust me in that I have the smallest pot!) But I'm totally with Mike on the not knowing the dynamics of your house. My point from an EBay ad that was so good I saved it:

Gixxerforsale.jpg

You're totally spun in with lust right now, but how're you going to be when the bike's outside and you have to go to bed?

Ideas: Give it a couple of weeks and see if your lust wears off some. Do more than one test ride if you can, or even rent one. (Yes FJRs can be rented in a lot of cities.) Do you even have a current bike? What about an earlier year that may be easier to justify to her honor? I've got a 2004 and really like the newer models but mine's paid for and I enjoy it just fine, but a lot of guys here have an earlier FJR because they can't afford a new one.

Bob

Food for thought:

You can ride the bike way more than you can her and with less hassle.

In the long run the bike will cost you less in overhead, upkeep, maintenance and, farkles.

The bike never talks back.

Never spends the mortgage.

Can be ignored for days when you don't talk to it or show it attention yet it will roll over and warm up the moment you touch its starter button.

The FJR will never say, "Honey, guess what we made two weeks ago? A BABY".

The FJR will not get jealous when your ride another bike. Now? Can you say that about your wife???

The lists goes on and on and on and on...

If you let her read this post and get smacked upside the head, don't blame us. And of course now you know why I am single and have logged almost 4k miles in the 3 months of owing my 08.

Then tell her to go buy that horse she wants.
Please, don't do that!!! As horse owners, I can assure you that money and horses are mutually exclusive. Motorcycles can never, ever reach the expense and time consumption levels of a horse. On the other hand, the years (decades actually) of horse riding has made my wife the Perfect Pillion, as they say in horse parlance, she sits the perfect seat. She also takes awesome pictures while under way, no matter what.

RoadView.jpg

Amen brother. The new GF is awesome on the pillion and she to is an avid horse rider.

As with boats, jet skis and some other items it is best to have friends that have those items, not own the yourselves.

Again not knowing your entire situation, if you have a stressful job, work a lot of hours, take your family and work responsibilities serious you need a healthy outlet.

Life is short and the time I have spent riding adds so much to the quality of my life.

I have MS and enjoy every day that I can ride and there are a lot of days I can't ride. Ride while you can, enjoy life while you can, because when you get to the day where you can't ride and never did it will be the regret of your life. Always work towards having the least amout of life's regrets when the big curtain comes down.

Roger

OLD GUYS RULE

See, I can say that crap too. Just choose not to, therefore I'm multi-divorced. :)
Rookie :glare:
I was looking at this thread for what was to be the last time. Then I saw Robin's post and thought...

Oh, I gotta see what the newlywed just posted.

:)

And hey, where's Mrs. Howie at when you need her opinion???

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one that is supposed to get "them" off the hook all the time.

"But honey it was on sale and I save us all kinds of money"...

Try that one.

Man this is cool from 3000 miles away.