Needs a new helmet! ASAP!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you would imagine from my last post, I don't think too haighly on "flip" helmets. I don't trust them. I've heard of other sport bike forums where people were seriously injured (facial) from their flip helmet failing.

Take a look at SkooterG after his **EDIT**flip didn't hold up to a moderate crash. :dribble:

IMG_5298-1.jpg
... My flip-faced helmet opened up hence the bloody lip. Fortunately it was a light hit on the ground and only a cut lip on my teeth. Scary. Not sure why the helmet opened. I know this particular helmet won't fully latch if I don't close it with some authority, but I usually make sure I do that. I don't know????? I do know I love flip or modular helmets, but I am rethinking them now.
There are many forum members that have flip helmets and love them. I would like one too, I think the flip feature is awesome, I just don't trust them. That's just me though.

As I previously mentioned, as long as it's at least DOT, you're good to go. There are many good helmets out there, think of the following things when purchasing a helmet.

1) DOT and or SNELL certified.

2) Head shape and fit. Check out Arai's head fitment for the different head and shell shapes. A few other helmet mfgrs offer different shapes too. Pressure points on your melon hurt.

3) Helmet weight is a huge factory with fatigue, etc.

4) Wind noise (lots of external vents can mean more noise).

5) Shield type, ratcheting, smooth etc. Some only open at half way point or above (usually ratcheting style with detents). Some are smooth and open and stay open at any point.

I'm not trying to scare you or persuade you, just to help inform you so you can make an educated decision. The more you know and understand, the better.

Good luck in your quest for a new helmet. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also don't like flip-ups...

...but don't use SkooterGs incident as support for your argument that a flip up won't handle the forces. SkooterG isn't sure...but possibly did'nt have the cover fully latched.

I have my full-face Shoei that I use...spendy...but comfortable for me with good venting...and my head is worth it. I think so anyways.

I also don't like flip-ups......but don't use SkooterGs incident as support for your argument that a flip up won't handle the forces. SkooterG isn't sure...but possibly did'nt have the cover fully latched.

I have my full-face Shoei that I use...spendy...but comfortable for me with good venting...and my head is worth it. I think so anyways.
I specifically used SKooterG's own quote to show he wasn't sure. It's for him to decide.

My .02

Had a Multitec, loved the fit and the flip. Totaled an '08 but don't think that I ever really hit my face/head when I landed. Reassessed the whole modular thing and decided to go full face. Could not get a Shoei to fit well and found a nice ARAI Quantum II that rocks. Fits like OJ's glove and no problem putting it on with ear bud's (for the GPS of course)

Go to Cycle gear if you have one. You can try a helmet for a week and if you don't like it, they take it back. I went through three Shoei's that way. The whole time that ARAI was on the shelf. The Quantum was a return and I picked it up for cheap (you can sometime find returns for good deals, or just find what you like, return it and order online for a better price) The returns are usually in good shape as people tend to take care of them so they can return 'em if they don't like them. Either way, you get to test out the helmet to see if it works for you. Nothing worse then paying $$$$ only to hate what you got and spend more.

Greg

+1 on Cycle Gear. I went to the one in Bakersfield and they were very helpful. I got to try on several different brands and sizes. That's a good deal letting you try it for a week to see if it is going to work. I ended up with a Shoei RF1100 and am very happy. It fits my head well and it has good ventilation. I switched over from a flip up. The flip up was nice but it was just one of those safety items that I felt was worth giving up convenience for IMO a safer lid. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands as long as they fit you well and you take care of it. Whatever you get make sure it has a replaceable liner. My only issue with the RF1100 is that it whistles a bit but this isn't much of an issue because I wear ear plugs.

I am headed to Cycle Gear right now actually! Mainly because my shop is closed till Tuesday. I will have my mind made up by the end of the day hopefully!! :construction:

I sported an EXO1000 for a couple years. It's a great helmet for the price-point as are the 700's and 400's like you have now. I was even able to crash test an EXO1000 and with an extreme side impact with asphalt, it got a 2 thumbs up from me. Not so much as a headache after the impact. The EXO1000 is a pretty heavy helmet since it houses that cool flip down visor (which I really liked) and that ultimately became the deal breaker for me. The 700's are quite a bit lighter but don't have the flip down visor.
My wife and I have since moved on to Arai. I sport a Corsair and her head fits the Quantum II. It's likely that I'll never buy anything but Arai again. These lids are awesome. I stepped away from the less expensive helmets with the cheaper polycarb shells. They obviously work but meet SNELL with that 1 impact rating. I've seen first hand a lot of these shells fracture after that severe impact. I want more. Chances are good I'll never take multiple impacts to my noodle if I go down but it's worth it to me to be prepared and have the best, IMO, for myself and my wife.

I offer up a pretty good video from Jay Leno's Garage featuring Bruce Porter from Arai talking about how to properly fit a helmet, which most have no clue how to do, and you'll see some pretty amazing stuff in addition to just plain excellent, useful information. The video sorta proves my point on shell construction.

Check it out....

https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160
Thanks for the video! I think I am going for an Arai for my next lid. Very educational and informative!!

First off....nice video. Thanks for the link.

I guess I've been fortunate in having had a good dealer help me fit my first helmet a number of years ago, so I have a good idea of what to look for. Neither Arai nor Shark (nor Nolan, etc, etc) fits my head shape properly, not even the Arai Quantum. I have owned Shoei as they fit the shape of my head best, and most recently upgraded from an RF1000 to an X-Eleven on close-out in order to get improved ventilation. For whatever reason, the Scorpion EXO helmets never felt as good on my head, and few other helmets offer quite the solid quality of the Shoei's.

So, I echo the comments made by one poster above - find the one that fits you well, and is snug, but comfortable. Leave it strapped on your head and walk around the store for at least 30 minutes...more if you can stand it. I've never had a dealer question me walking around for an extended period to make sure it fits right. A snug-fitting helmet can develop pressure points on your head or face or whatever over time that you will not feel when you just put it on quickly. Your head will likely have a different shape than mine or others..so get what fits.

Once you find what fits, there is a recent owners satisfaction survey by brand, published on WebBikeWorld, that may help you decide if you are on the fence.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-new...ction-study.htm

Here is a good place to look up the Sharp Safety test results, by model. Note - these are Euro model names, but there is usually a comparable US model name.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...m#sharp-ratings

Thanks for the video! I think I am going for an Arai for my next lid. Very educational and informative!!
Just make sure the helmet shape fits your head. Just because it's an Arai doesn't mean it's the right helmet for you. I almost fell into that trap, got it in my mind that I really wanted an Arai, but turns out my head shape doesn't fit it very well. Went with a Shoei RF1100 instead.

"As you would imagine from my last post, I don't think too haighly on "flip" helmets. I don't trust them. I've heard of other sport bike forums where people were seriously injured (facial) from their flip helmet failing."

My Nolan with a flip us is fine. I only have to trust myself to assure that it is firmly latched. I've looked at the steel latching mechanism very closely, tried to make it fail and it doesn't. Human error is the downfall with these.

"As you would imagine from my last post, I don't think too haighly on "flip" helmets. I don't trust them. I've heard of other sport bike forums where people were seriously injured (facial) from their flip helmet failing."
My Nolan with a flip us is fine. I only have to trust myself to assure that it is firmly latched. I've looked at the steel latching mechanism very closely, tried to make it fail and it doesn't. Human error is the downfall with these.
Put that Nolan on and have someone smack you in the side of the head with a hammer where the steel latch is located. Then report back to us on how it did. But I do agree with you that human error is a big problem with flips. They also have less room front to back than regular full face helmets.

I have an exo 1000 and love it. I plan on replacing it with another when the time comes. Scorpion has been great with their customer support. I looked at the exo 900 which is the only flip helmet certified in the EU as a full face helmet but I just can't bring myself to get a flip, yet.

And I don't think scooter really crashed. I think Jane beat him up again and so he went a rubbed some dirt on face to make it look like crashed. I mean how many times can one guy "crash."

Just make sure the helmet shape fits your head. Just because it's an Arai doesn't mean it's the right helmet for you. I almost fell into that trap, got it in my mind that I really wanted an Arai, but turns out my head shape doesn't fit it very well. Went with a Shoei RF1100 instead.

Perhaps you're aware, perhaps not. Arai makes 4 different head shapes that cover a wide variety.

Corsair V: Intermediate Oval

Quantum II: Round Oval

Profile: Long Oval

Vector: Intermediate Oval

"Put that Nolan on and have someone smack you in the side of the head with a hammer where the steel latch is located. Then report back to us on how it did. But I do agree with you that human error is a big problem with flips. They also have less room front to back than regular full face helmets."

Send me another helmet first and I'll do it. PM me for the address.

+ 1 on the Shoei RF -1100 I just ordered a multi from compacc.com for 359 :)

www.compacc.com (minor typo above)

The Competition Accessories main facility is located only 25 minutes from my house, with a showroom that is open 7 days/week! It's kinda dangerous having all of that stuff so close, accessible, and tempting to my wallet. I've been known to ride there on occasion.....

Perhaps you're aware, perhaps not. Arai makes 4 different head shapes that cover a wide variety.

+1 on Arai, they also have different cheek pads thickness for a custom fit. the head liner is also interchangeable. The proper way to find the right size for an Arai is to take out the cheek pads and see how the crown of your head fits in the helmet, them adjust the cheek pads to fit snug enough to when you open and close your mouth you don't bite down on your cheek. when you twist your helmet left and right your forhead should move with the liner. the Arai shells share 2 sizes. ie Med and Large has the same shell. I know this might be too much info but I get the best helmet I can and as others have posted , how much is your head worth? when your lying on the ground thinking was that $100.00 -$200.00 savings worth it? well that's my 2 cents.

No, I wasn't aware. My dealer must've either not had all the various shapes out to try on, or I didn't notice. I'll have to revisit them the next time I'm in the market.