Needs a new helmet! ASAP!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found one of the Arai Quantum 2's while at Cycle Gear in Oklahoma City yesterday, I liked it a lot! It was like a glove for my face! Well more like a silk stocking...maybe I could go hold up a bank with it, or a 7-11, or maybe that corner kids lemonade stand...yeah that's it that damn corner kids lemonade stand...stupid corner kid...

In all seriousness I liked the Arai, the RF-11 was pretty cool as well. On to my next question for the masses:

What communications systems do you all use? I currently have a Scala Q2 and have come to hate its guts! The speakers suck donkey balls, and the mic transfers way, WAY!! too much noise, then add into the fact that I payed $300 for this damn piece of crap, with little more than the sales snots advise at my dealership. <----case in point on why I look toward the community at large rather than the damn kids my boss hires that don't know a good part from a damn hole in the ground.

What communications systems do you all use?
Start a new thread, tell us what your requirements are.
I'm an autocom guy because I hate battery power (that always go dead when I want it most) and otherwise, the stuff just works.
I rolled with a Scala Rider Teamset for a couple years. Bottomline....I think it's a toy but at big boy prices in comparison to Autocomm / Starcomm. You'll spend a little more to get the extra bells and whistles on the latter but it's a serious communication tool with outstanding expandability. Scala's just plain suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found one of the Arai Quantum 2's while at Cycle Gear in Oklahoma City yesterday, I liked it a lot! It was like a glove for my face! Well more like a silk stocking...maybe I could go hold up a bank with it, or a 7-11, or maybe that corner kids lemonade stand...yeah that's it that damn corner kids lemonade stand...stupid corner kid...
In all seriousness I liked the Arai, the RF-11 was pretty cool as well. On to my next question for the masses:

What communications systems do you all use? I currently have a Scala Q2 and have come to hate its guts! The speakers suck donkey balls, and the mic transfers way, WAY!! too much noise, then add into the fact that I payed $300 for this damn piece of crap, with little more than the sales snots advise at my dealership. <----case in point on why I look toward the community at large rather than the damn kids my boss hires that don't know a good part from a damn hole in the ground.
Very cool! I'm glad you like your purchase. It's obvious now your farkles will soon exceed you income. :p
Enjoy, and ride safe. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sported an EXO1000 for a couple years. It's a great helmet for the price-point as are the 700's and 400's like you have now. I was even able to crash test an EXO1000 and with an extreme side impact with asphalt, it got a 2 thumbs up from me. Not so much as a headache after the impact. The EXO1000 is a pretty heavy helmet since it houses that cool flip down visor (which I really liked) and that ultimately became the deal breaker for me. The 700's are quite a bit lighter but don't have the flip down visor.
My wife and I have since moved on to Arai. I sport a Corsair and her head fits the Quantum II. It's likely that I'll never buy anything but Arai again. These lids are awesome. I stepped away from the less expensive helmets with the cheaper polycarb shells. They obviously work but meet SNELL with that 1 impact rating. I've seen first hand a lot of these shells fracture after that severe impact. I want more. Chances are good I'll never take multiple impacts to my noodle if I go down but it's worth it to me to be prepared and have the best, IMO, for myself and my wife.

I offer up a pretty good video from Jay Leno's Garage featuring Bruce Porter from Arai talking about how to properly fit a helmet, which most have no clue how to do, and you'll see some pretty amazing stuff in addition to just plain excellent, useful information. The video sorta proves my point on shell construction.

Check it out....

https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160
Where can I find a dealer around SW Michigan that will fit me like the video says? Of the few dealers I have found that sell Arai, they only carry a very few helmets and seem to want to sell you an off the shelf model. Nobody has even hinted around that they will professionally fit me and change out pads as needed. Any suggestions?

I sported an EXO1000 for a couple years. It's a great helmet for the price-point as are the 700's and 400's like you have now. I was even able to crash test an EXO1000 and with an extreme side impact with asphalt, it got a 2 thumbs up from me. Not so much as a headache after the impact. The EXO1000 is a pretty heavy helmet since it houses that cool flip down visor (which I really liked) and that ultimately became the deal breaker for me. The 700's are quite a bit lighter but don't have the flip down visor.
My wife and I have since moved on to Arai. I sport a Corsair and her head fits the Quantum II. It's likely that I'll never buy anything but Arai again. These lids are awesome. I stepped away from the less expensive helmets with the cheaper polycarb shells. They obviously work but meet SNELL with that 1 impact rating. I've seen first hand a lot of these shells fracture after that severe impact. I want more. Chances are good I'll never take multiple impacts to my noodle if I go down but it's worth it to me to be prepared and have the best, IMO, for myself and my wife.

I offer up a pretty good video from Jay Leno's Garage featuring Bruce Porter from Arai talking about how to properly fit a helmet, which most have no clue how to do, and you'll see some pretty amazing stuff in addition to just plain excellent, useful information. The video sorta proves my point on shell construction.

Check it out....

https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160
Where can I find a dealer around SW Michigan that will fit me like the video says? Of the few dealers I have found that sell Arai, they only carry a very few helmets and seem to want to sell you an off the shelf model. Nobody has even hinted around that they will professionally fit me and change out pads as needed. Any suggestions?
Well I prefer to buy from a local dealer when it comes to helmets. But if they don't want to deal with you or treat you in an improper way I say use their helmets to see which size and pad fits you or significant other and then order off the internet or from someone else. Its your money. Good luck. PM. <>< :D