New 08AE Owner Information

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skruffy

Reaction score
As a new 08 AE model owner and new to Yamaha are there issues I need to know about regarding this model (ignition taken care of) for mechanical/electrical going forward? Any help from other AE owners would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you search the site for AE info you will find a lot if info about the AE. I have owned 3-AE bikes and one regular A bike. I have log in over 65K on AE bikes and can tell you they are different and take some getting use to. I had a very bad accident and my left foot does not work well enought to shift a regular bike so the AE has been a really blessing for me. If your 08 is a brand new bike that has not been run since new you may have some clutch issue to deal with. I bought another new 08 a few months back and the shifting was very bad. The dealer worked with Yamaha and they suggested they take the clutch out and leave it soak in oil and that pretty much solved that issue. The AE is very tricky at parking lot speed, I have found it best to leave it in 2nd gear when you are making slow turns and you will be much smoother. There are a number of tricks to the AE, too many for me to list, that will add to the enjoyment of the bike, most are listed on this site.

I have 28k trouble free miles on my 08 AE which includes a run from Houston to Valdez, AK and back. I got used to the AE quicker then I thought. The one issue I will caution you on is to use a new crush washer every time and torque the shaft drive drain plug. At 600 miles I changed the shaft oil and did a bonehead move by using the same washer and "tightened to what felt right". Went for a 150 mi ride and in the last few miles I smelt shaft oil at light and figured it was residue. Got home and noticed shaft oil all over back of bike.....drain plug was gone!!! Can't believe my stupid luck that I did not seize the shaft.

I've had two regular clutch FJRs and two AEs. The AE is kick ass fun for me and my learning curve was long, say two blocks or so. Easy-peasy.

As a new 08 AE model owner and new to Yamaha are there issues I need to know about regarding this model (ignition taken care of) for mechanical/electrical going forward? Any help from other AE owners would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for the response. I have been checking out the Forum and there definately is good stuff here. I pick the scoot up this afternoon so will get it on the road again and put a few miles on today and tomorrow. I already have been in the parking lot doing some of the ERC exercises just to get use to the slow riding. Been through a number of ERC's with the RoadKing and a modified Motorofficer Course which definately helps with technique. There is no question it will take some time developing different habits and be able to switch back and forth between bikes some. Since I am a MSF Rider Coach I definately have been on a number of different scooters so that definately helps but nothing like the FJR. An all new learning experience. My youngest son just picked up a 2005 FJRA for his primary bike so will have a partner in crime. Thanks again.