New bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmemorris

Reaction score
I just picked up my first bike ever, and after a lot of nationwide searching, I think I did pretty good. This site has been beyond helpful and after reading hundreds and hundreds of pages of posts, I feel like I know way more than I should about the bike. Always a good thing though.

The bike is an '06 non AE model, blue, 19,000 miles, rifle shield, rick mayer seat, frame sliders, highway pegs, larger passenger pegs, AVCC, intercom system, hyperpro springs, heated grips, bar ends, outlets for two heated jackets(only got one from him), gloves, flashing LED brake light, helmet, throttle fix, chrome exhaust shield, fender extender, backrest/rack, tank bag, rear bag(not hard case), side panniers, hand guards... That's all I can think of right now.

I had a couple dirtbikes when I was younger, but never having ridden on the street before, I was a little nervous. When I picked up the bike, the PO drove it on to my trailer and I strapped it down. I had heard people saying that this was definately not a beginner bike, but after I backed it off the trailer, I hopped on and headed down the road(back roads near my house). I was just going along slowly, but I was amazed at how well it went. The nervousness was gone very soon. I put 50 miles on it that day. The sad part about that is, the road I was riding on was only about a 3 mile round trip back to my house... Now for the sad part. I'm a field engineer for an oil company and I got a call later that night to head out to work 600+ miles away. Pretty frustrating! That was two weeks ago, and I think I have spent atleast 8 hours a day since then reading up on everything possible about the bike. It's even my background picture on my computer.

I'm very excited about getting to put this bike to use. I wanted to thank everyone on here for all of the time they have spent helping out on other's questions. I've read everything on this forum, so it has definately helped me out too.

So... Back to my post's title. I picked it all up for $5300. That was his asking price and I thought it was such a great deal that I didn't have it in me to try and haggle him down. Pretty good deal? Best I could find in the US, and only ended up having to drive 400 miles.

I think I accidentally posted this is the wrong section...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome and congrats on your new ride, that's a great price, you may want to prepost in the New Fourm Member section.

After everything I had read, I would have been happy with either gen bike. From what I had been finding, this was cheaper than similarly set up gen 1's with even more miles. I like that the gen 2's have higher gearing though. I plan on many long distance trips, so that'd be a nice little bonus for mileage. And I know everyone says just to ride it, and that after paying a bunch for a bike, not to worry about a few miles per gallon. But... My daily driver(lifted dually) doesn't get the best mileage, so it makes my purchase feel even more reassuring when I look down at the gauges and see that I'm getting over 3 times better mileage than in my truck.

Congrats on the new bike. Sounds like a good deal. Give me a shout if you're down Waco way. :)

Will do Monty. If they would hurry up and finish drilling this well out here in New Mexico... I live NNW of Houston about 45 miles, but am planning on making a trip to Lubbock and Abilene in the next several weeks.

Way to go Morris :clapping:

No get out there and put about 5,000 miles on it yourself, and get back to us with an updated report. :D

I would love to put 5000 miles on it! But I only had it for one day before leaving town. I wanted to bring it with me to work to ride around Carlsbad Caverns, and down to Big Bend, but, my tailgate is about chest height, and the stacks on the truck would have had it pretty black by the time I got here. Didn't trust a trailer on some of these ranch roads. I've had bad luck with four wheelers on trailers in the past...

I'm trying to hold off on ordering new things for it until I get a few good rides under my belt and have a better idea what I really need. It's so hard! I've got a spreadsheet made on my desktop of everything I'm considering, as well as the best prices and links to them. My per diem while out working is $45, and I live off about $5 of food a day(kitchen provided), so I figure it's only fair to put that extra $40 each day towards the bike!

I'm trying to hold off on ordering new things for it until I get a few good rides under my belt and have a better idea what I really need. It's so hard! I've got a spreadsheet made on my desktop of everything I'm considering, as well as the best prices and links to them. My per diem while out working is $45, and I live off about $5 of food a day(kitchen provided), so I figure it's only fair to put that extra $40 each day towards the bike!
1.) Don't worry about it being in the "wrong section". Most of us "Check New Content", anyway.

2.) Great find....Congratulations!

3.) Absolutely do not add "parts" until you've ridden it for a few hundred miles. Actually, within the first 100 miles you will know if you need to change a couple of things (windshield, for instance).

After the first long day in the saddle you will know if the seat is going to work for you or you need an aftermarket replacement.

Remember....it's all part of the ownership fun. Welcome to the family!

After everything I had read, I would have been happy with either gen bike. <snip>
Pay no attention to the nut roastin' Gen I types! They're just jealous!

You did great IMO. I've not ridden a AE, but those that have them like 'em alot! Now post up and start going to your local (or not so) FJR owners meets!

Congrats on the new ride, you'll love it! That was a killer deal!

Might I suggest you consider attending a local MSF course to get yourself up to speed since it's your first street bike. Pretty fun and interesting way to brush up on your skills. ;)

Congrats on the new to you FJR sounds like a great price, I'm laid off so can you get me a job? lol :rolleyes:

If you happen to have any experience as an MWD/LWD engineer, then I could help ya out some. I was living in Pennsylvania last year working for Baker Hughes and have some contacts there. Not much help elsewhere cause I'm stuck working out of town most of the year.

After over two weeks, I finally get to head home in a few hours! I've got the bike keys in my pocket and they're getting put to use before my house key will!

Congrats on the purchase...you did good!

If you happen to have any experience as an MWD/LWD engineer...
Small world, I did that stint for 7+ years in West Texas, NM and finally offshore. Got involved in some pretty deep gas wells in the basin. Wouldn't do it again...unless I was starving to death! ;)

--G

Congrats on the new ride, you'll love it! That was a killer deal!

Might I suggest you consider attending a local MSF course to get yourself up to speed since it's your first street bike. Pretty fun and interesting way to brush up on your skills. ;)
+1

Conga rats,

It's always a good idea to take a riders course, even after you think you know what your doing. It helps you remember all the things you forgot, or never knew you need to know.