new cee baileys shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialk

Reaction score
Just put on a cee bailey's +3 +3 flip on my '08. I am getting buffeting ( think that's what it is...sounds like some one is hitting the side of my helmet with a hammer). I put my hand up beside my helmet while on the highway and can feel the turbulent wind. Should this be happening? I was expecting a much more quiet ride.

FYI. I'm 6', with 32" inseam.

Do I need a taller shield? Shorter shield? no flip?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
God that's annoying .. and typical. It's also the reason I ditched the Cee Baily's +4/+4 that came with the bike.

I solved it by going to a VStream and when it's really hot I have a cut down stock shield.

All I can suggest is that you try different shields until you find one you like.

I have a +4 +4 flip and it doesn't buffet me? 6 01 here. Tried Vstream and it was great on the shoulders but bad on the head. I need a +6+6 Vstream with flip. LOL

I have a +4 +4 flip and it doesn't buffet me? 6 01 here. Tried Vstream and it was great on the shoulders but bad on the head. I need a +6+6 Vstream with flip. LOL

should I try a +4 +4? Geez...I hope they are not going to slap me with restocking fees on all of these trials...that will kill this process in a hurry.

Well if you ride with yours up high and you have to duck down to get the buffeting to stop then yes. This is a hard thing to judge. Everyone is different and prefers different stuff..

I have a +2, +2 flip and don't notice any buffeting. I thought it to be a great improvement over the stock screen. I just adjust the screen up to where I'm just looking over it and I have a pretty quiet pocket of air. 6' 32-34 inseam.

Just put on a cee bailey's +3 +3 flip on my '08. I am getting buffeting ( think that's what it is...sounds like some one is hitting the side of my helmet with a hammer). I put my hand up beside my helmet while on the highway and can feel the turbulent wind. Should this be happening? I was expecting a much more quiet ride.
FYI. I'm 6', with 32" inseam.

Do I need a taller shield? Shorter shield? no flip?

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Hmmm, we could be twins. I have the same setup except I have +2 +3 and I don't get any buffeting. You can try lowering the shield while at speed to see if you get into a no buffeting zone.

Good Luck

I'm also 6'2"x32" inseam.

The "flip" doesn't work for me. That being said, I've tried a lot of different combinations over the years and have determined there is NO windshield nirvana for me.

What I'm using may not be applicable to a Gen II. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity what helmet do you ride with? Highway pegs? With my feet on my hwy pegs airflow is all jacked up...

Windshields are so personal and subjective. Try raising / lowering while riding to find the pocket you're looking for. Move your head around to try and find a location that is good.

Just out of curiosity what helmet do you ride with?
...this is an excellent point. Helmets have a huge influence for buffeting and noise. Good luck with your search for the perfect windshield...let us know what you find. BTW, If you have other FJR's near you, try and arrange swaps for comparison.

--G

these are all great ideas. thanks so much.

my current helmet is an AGV S-4.

I have tried riding on the highway at all different heights. I notice at lower heights, the buffeting goes away, but there is a lot of wind.

I may try a +2 +2 like some have. I am torn about the flip though. It looks nice, but I have heard many mixed things about. Actually, reading on calsci's website, they mention about why they have a cutout on the larger windshields...to get airflow behind the shield which prevents the hammering noise that I got. Calsci mentions that the hammering is caused bu vortices created from the flip. I think my next shield is definitely without the flip. I may try shorter though.

Windshields are so personal and subjective. Try raising / lowering while riding to find the pocket you're looking for. Move your head around to try and find a location that is good.

Just out of curiosity what helmet do you ride with?
...this is an excellent point. Helmets have a huge influence for buffeting and noise. Good luck with your search for the perfect windshield...let us know what you find. BTW, If you have other FJR's near you, try and arrange swaps for comparison.

--G

I have the Cal Sci Xlg and have no buffeting. (6' + 30"inseam and I usually wear a half helmet) This is the only non-oem shield I have ever used so I can't comment on the others. The only thing I would suggest for improvement is a wider shield for more cross wind protection.

The calsci.com site has some interesting info on "fair" shapes, vortices and turbulence. If you are looking for a windshield, check this out. (Scroll down the list of topics on the left side of the screen) Their windshields do not have flips at the top edge because, they claim, this causes vortices and buffeting. Sounds logical to me. I know the intent of the flip is to kick the airflow up higher, but any time you change the direction of airflow you introduce turbulence.

BTW, I use a Calsci medium (+2.5" over stock) which has no vents cut in the Gen II version. That's my cool weather shield; the OE shield works best for warm weather. Your results may vary.

pete

(6' tall and the seat is in the upper position)

I just got a new Shoei Multitec and wow what a difference just a good helmet can make. I ride allot with the modular flipped up...

I come from a V-Strom which is known for its horrible buffeting. FJR feels so much better but then I might not feel that way if I came from a Wing (I'm assuming that the Wing is whisper quiet).

I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam and I have a Cee Bailey +3 +3 w/flip. I also have Gen-mar risers with my bars in the last position (farthest back). All of this changes things when it comes to airflow and windshields. For me it is better than stock. I still get a little buffeting, the sweet spot for me is about 3/4 way up. Something else that helps is if I ride with my face shield raised. When it is in the right position the air will flow over the Cee-Bailey, across my raised face shield and over the helmet. Really quiet and no buffeting. I would think being 6' you would need a taller shield than me. Good Luck!

Not to hijack a thread, but I would like to know the relationship of inseam to windshield height. If you are sitting on your arse, what difference does it make how long your legs are?

Not to hijack a thread, but I would like to know the relationship of inseam to windshield height. If you are sitting on your arse, what difference does it make how long your legs are?
It matters how much the rest of you is sticking up above the seat. Longer inseam means less of you is over the seat its all legs. A 6'2" guy with a 32" inseam will sit 2" higher than a guy with a 34" inseam.

OK, now I understand. Inseam matters when used in conjunction with height so a comparison can be made. I neglected to note the posters were including their height.

Thanks for the gentle swat.