• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW - Doug Hines FJR1300 Handlebar Risers for 2006 Model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No lengthening of wiring/hydraulic lines etc needed? Any work required, e.g. remove the tank, unclip ty raps, etc, to make the lines long enough? Or is there enough slack to just simply install the risers?

--EDIT--

DOH! Read the website... no mods required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug,

Of note is that the bars are in the full forward position with the risers. Is there any rearward adjustment possible with these? My concern would be that the cables are not long enough to allow both upward and rearward adjustment.

Doug,
Of note is that the bars are in the full forward position with the risers. Is there any rearward adjustment possible with these? My concern would be that the cables are not long enough to allow both upward and rearward adjustment.
The above risers were installed in the full rearward position of the Yamaha adjustment mechanism. There is NO problem with the handlebar wires and cables fitting over the risers. NO modifications are needed to stock wires and cables.

Doug Hines

Doug,

The above risers were installed in the full rearward position of the Yamaha adjustment mechanism. There is NO problem with the handlebar wires and cables fitting over the risers. NO modifications are needed to stock wires and cables.

Doug Hines

Is there any facility to adjust the angle, or sweep, of the bars? And can you make 'em where the risers are not that tall?

Thanks!

Dallara

+1 with Dallara on this one; I don't need a lot of height to the bars, but I want to be able to adjust the sweep/ angle.

"...can you make 'em where the risers are not that tall?

+1 on not quite so tall.

Doug,

Doug Hines
Thanks, Doug

"...can you make 'em where the risers are not that tall?
+1 on not quite so tall.
I started out to make the risers 1" tall as my previous models. But I was unable to do this. The threaded stud that Yamaha put on the adjustable handlebar system and the height of it really screwed things up for the riser builders. The 1 3/8" is as low as I can go and still maintain the Yamaha adjustment system. I would try to explain why this is true but I'm sure it would confuse you and me both. I think I could make a better riser and more variations if I just ripped the Yamaha handlebar adjustment system out and started over, but I did not want to go there just yet.

I could have adjusted the sweep angle simply by angling the two pin holes for the handlbars on top of the riser and then rearranged the other two bolt holes, but for right now I'm going with same location as the factory setting.

I even thought about making a setback riser and mounting the riser with the Yamaha stud and socket head screw but could not devise a good way to hide the nut and socket head screw. Thus, what you see is what you get for the time being.

I am a short guy with short arms. These risers feel good to me and are very comfortable.

Doug Hines

Benton, AR

I started out to make the risers 1" tall as my previous models. But I was unable to do this. The threaded stud that Yamaha put on the adjustable handlebar system and the height of it really screwed things up for the riser builders. The 1 3/8" is as low as I can go and still maintain the Yamaha adjustment system.
Okay, well.... in my unsolicited opinion.... :D I'll stop just short of characterizing the 2006 FJR's adjustable handlebars as a bad joke, but IMO, that's not too far off the mark. I mean, c'mon Yamaha.... zero vertical adjustment, and a paltry 11mm of "sweep"adjustment range?! Big whup!

I would fabricate the risers such that they rise 1.0", and leave them permanently in the most rearward "sweep" position. Let's face it, the vast, VAST majority of folks who go after risers want them to come up and back, so... I wouldn't bother with making the risers to allow for the two "forward" adjustment positions.

Just bring them up an inch, and set them in the default most rearward position, and you'll have a serious winner on your hands.

In my unsolicitied opinion, of course... :D

I even thought about making a setback riser

I'm all for that. I could care less whether they are adjustable. If they have to be 1 3/8 up, that's cool. But what I would REALLY like is to have then set back 3/4 inch or so (more) beyond full aft setting. And I could also care less whether the hardware shows.

I agree with WC, Yamaha's answer to "adjustable bars" is a joke.

Doug, thanks for taking the ball and getting the risers going! Standing by...

Just to give everyone a heads up, I will be on a motorcycle vacation in the Deals Gap area from June 3rd thru June 11th so if you email or call me during this time you will probably not get an answer. Sorry, but everyone has to have play time. I truly expected to have these risers done 3 weeks ago, but they are so much more complicated on the 06 version and they have been a royal pain in the arse.

I talked with machine shop this morning and have good news and bad news. Good news is that he is looking to have risers cut out by Fri, delivered for powder coating on Monday or Tuesday and should be able to make the June 12th finished product as planned. Bad news is that he is charging me twice what he was making my old version of risers for, so I will be eating a loss on these first 20 sets of risers but will still honor my quoted price. During my time on vacation I have a machinist looking for another machine shop to cut risers at a more reasonable price and hopefully will not have to go up on price. Time will tell.

I have 15 paid orders at this time.

Just to give everyone a heads up, I will be on a motorcycle vacation in the Deals Gap area from June 3rd thru June 11th so if you email or call me during this time you will probably not get an answer. Sorry, but everyone has to have play time. I truly expected to have these risers done 3 weeks ago, but they are so much more complicated on the 06 version and they have been a royal pain in the arse.
I talked with machine shop this morning and have good news and bad news. Good news is that he is looking to have risers cut out by Fri, delivered for powder coating on Monday or Tuesday and should be able to make the June 12th finished product as planned. Bad news is that he is charging me twice what he was making my old version of risers for, so I will be eating a loss on these first 20 sets of risers but will still honor my quoted price. During my time on vacation I have a machinist looking for another machine shop to cut risers at a more reasonable price and hopefully will not have to go up on price. Time will tell.

I have 15 paid orders at this time.
A rarity in this time and space-an honest man. Were I in the market, I'd be 16.

Thanks, DRHines!

+1 one the order. Just sent you the $124.00 via PayPal for a set for my 2006. Can't wait to give my wrists a rest! :)

Take care on your trip!

Dallara

ps - sending you a PM, too.

Just sent you a PayPal payment...$124 for the 2006 version...thanks!

Last edited: