new ecu and mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
I just returned from my first trip with my new ecu 2007 fjr. I noticed about a 4 mpg loss on the highway portion of my trip over the original ecu. The bike ran flawlessly. I'm guessing the new ecu richens the fuel to air mixture. Any other members getting poorer mpg after the new ecu installed? Thanks, Don.

Yep, slight reduction in gas mileage of approximately 1.5 mpg. But I'm also running a PC-III. Have gone back to the stock PC-III program until someday when dyno time can be arranged.

In the meantime, bike runs better than my 05 did, which is saying a lot!

Mine too, but I am not sure if it is the ECU or switch to winter fuel formula. I will know for sure in the spring. :)

I was just reading the posts here and a question suddenly hit me. Did Yamaha enrichen the mixture now that the bikes are used and do not have to meet standards.

Just wondering, don't mind if they did.

Mac

30.9 average with the new ECU. A bit lower than it use to be, but I can live with it.

I always get lower mileage in the winter. Bikes and cages. Has something to do with winter mix and with riding/driving longer distances before getting completely warmed up. I think. I'll wait until spring to check.

The reason I ride a bike though is so that I don't have to worry about gas mileage. Just twist the throttle.

Could also be because the colder air is more compressed and the fuel/air mixture is different (more fuel/air) than when the temps are warmer. Bike runs better because of the dense cold air thus more fuel used? Sounds plausable. Didn't use to care that much but since gas is $3.53 a gallon right now....PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean we should change our CO settings leaner for our Barbarian Mods? I just set mine to +7. What do you think Jeff?

I've noticed at least a 2mpg drop in fuel economy since the new ECU was installed. Averaging 41+mpg, vs. 43+mpg. I can hardly complain; there's not much else in the driveway, that will get better than 16-20mpg.

Might be your winter fuel blends.

I'm in Arkansas were they don't have ethanol blended fuel.

My mileage with the new ECU is unchanged.

Might be your winter fuel blends. I'm in Arkansas were they don't have ethanol blended fuel.

My mileage with the new ECU is unchanged.
'
Same here. I rode mine over 100 miles from Ft. Smith today, after the change-out. No change in engine power or mpg.

I did my first long(ish) rides since having the new ECU installed late last fall; 160 mi on Sat., 02/16, and 255 mi on Sun., 02/17. Over the 2 days, my mileage averaged 39.5 mpg vs. 44.7 mpg pre-updated ECU. Given that I live in a rather mountainous area (between the Cascades and Coastal ranges) and ride at higher altitudes frequently, I'd say that the trade-out, i.e., sacrificing gas mileage for no altitude sickness, was indeed worth it. If I lived in the plains states where I grew up though, I'm not so sure I'd arrive at that same conclusion...

I've put on about 3000 miles since the ECU was swapped out in early Nov. I lost about 3 miles per... I run at altitude most of the time, and it sure helped! Now i'm not afraid of launching off a turn , once the ECU recalibrated and caught up to the throttle setting. I still get about 47.5 per gallon now. :yahoo:

I got the new ecu within a week of getting my 2007 so I have no comparison. However, I am shocked at the high mileage several members posted. I am on my fourth tank and am consistently getting 33 MPG on a route which is half city and half highway (80-90 MPH). This is even with keeping my revs down since I am following Yamaha's break in of 4500 RPM or less (please do not start a thread on the different break in philosophies since I have read them and sided with Yamaha's engineers). I just sold my Susuki GSX1100G where I always got 33 MPG as well while the GSX1100G group claimed you should get 40 MPG. Am I just buying lemons or is there something about my riding style?

I got the new ecu within a week of getting my 2007 so I have no comparison. However, I am shocked at the high mileage several members posted. I am on my fourth tank and am consistently getting 33 MPG on a route which is half city and half highway (80-90 MPH). This is even with keeping my revs down since I am following Yamaha's break in of 4500 RPM or less (please do not start a thread on the different break in philosophies since I have read them and sided with Yamaha's engineers). I just sold my Susuki GSX1100G where I always got 33 MPG as well while the GSX1100G group claimed you should get 40 MPG. Am I just buying lemons or is there something about my riding style?

I've had an 04 and an 06. I almost always averaged mid to high 40's after break in was done.

Did my first good ride today with the new ECU. Temps ranged from high 20's :cold: to high 40's, not a lot of stop and go and a fairly sedate pace, averaged 45.1 over 250 miles. This is right in line with the averages prior to change out and those of my previous '04 as well. To the new ECU I say... :good:

--G

QUOTE (johndaub @ Monday, 18 February 2008) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... However, I am shocked at the high mileage several members posted. I am on my fourth tank and am consistently getting 33 MPG on a route which is half city and half highway (80-90 MPH)... Am I just buying lemons or is there something about my riding style?

I suspect it's the type of journey you do. Mine does about 38 mpg UK (32 US) commuting, about 54 mpg UK (45 US) touring. On a mixed journey tankfull, the lower figure always seems to win. And, consumption gets rapidly worse with speeds above 70.

fjr10_miles.jpg

You can see my full fuel log here.

Last edited by a moderator: