New FJR Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Stephens

Reaction score
Well, I just put down a deposit on a 2009 FJR. It's so new it's still in a crate!

Once the weather clears up enough here in Calgary, I'll have the dealership put it together and I'll pick it up - probably sometime in early March.

I'm upgrading from a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive. I've really like the Burgman for around town, but I was unhappy with the performance on the highway. I've been on three multi-day trips on it, and while it was ok, the Burgman lacks power when it was needed.

So I'm thinking the FJR will be a big improvement on the highway.

Looking forward to getting some farkles for it too!

ian

I do not know what other bikes you have ridden or if the Burgman was your only experience, The FJR is a very fast bike and can get you to where you are going on the road sometimes before you are quite ready. BE somewhat cautious for a bit.

I've been on the Burgman for the past 5 years. I'm also 48 years old and have a clear sense of my mortality. Believe me - I've been warned many times about the power difference between the two rides - especially from my wife!

Welcome from Perth (Western Australia).

Congratulations on your purchase. hmmm...luv the smell of a new bike, the sound of the exhaust and engine internals 'popping and cracking' as you wait at the lights. Betcha March can't come quick enough.

I'm upgrading from a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive. I've really like the Burgman for around town, but I was unhappy with the performance on the highway. ...
So I'm thinking the FJR will be a big improvement on the highway.
Oh yes. Each twist of the throttle is joyous. I can hardly wait for the next break in the weather so I can get the bike out.

A pretty big jump in rides. I think you will like the FJR a lot. The B650 handles surprisingly well, the FJR is even better and faster doing it.

You're gonna love the new bike and you will love being a member of this forum.

Now you get to hang with Lovers of sheep, armadillos & lizards!

Oh I almost forgot, Welcome from Arizona!

I've lurking on the forum for some time - the information here on this board was a major reason why I choose the FJR over similar bikes from BMW (K1300), Suzuki (Bandit 1250/VStrom), Kawasawki (the Connie) and some others.

ian

Ian, Welcome to the Forum from West Palm Beach, FL. You touched a soft spot with me about the Burgman 650. I baby sat a Burgman 650 for one of my best

friends for about two years. I kept it in my garage and he had access to it 24/7. It was funny as hell! He would sneak in and get it like a thief in the night to go

ride because his wife said she would divorce him if he ever got a motorcycle, (Poor Bastard)!. I washed it, kept all the maintenance up and he told me to ride it

whenever I wanted. At first I wasn't interested, all I wanted was for him to have a little fun in his life. His wife was/is a piece of work. That "I'll divorce you if "

crap extended to everything else in his life. I was more than happy to have it gassed up and ready to ride for him. I then started hanging out with a wonderful

lady who was petrified of motorcycles. Knowing that I was going to ride with my friends at the drop of a hat when called, she agreed to jump on the back of

the "Scooter" to give it a try. So, I broke it out and we started riding it. She fell in love with it and so did I!! That bike was great! I rode the hell out it. I even

went grocery shopping with it. The cargo capacity under the seat was unbelievable! From a standing start, that thing had some get up and GO! On a straight and

level flight, you can hit 130mph easy! It wieghed 525lbs and had a 60" wheel base. It was NOT a light bike. But, you're right, at highway speeds, if you needed

to pass someone in a hurry, It didn't have the muscle. But, all in all, I enjoyed the hell out of that bike. If you rode one for 5 years, you will blend right into the

FJR with no problem. I'm sure you are well aware of the difference in HP. If you twist the throttle on the FJR like the Burgman, you'll be in trouble real quick!!

You are going to love it. It's like a big Burgman, except the FUN factor will be exponential. Take it easy at first and you'll be just fine. Thanks for bringing those

memories back. :yahoo:

Ian,

I trust you will be thrilled with your new purchase. I bought my 07' just last week and can't get the grin off my face. I have been riding BMWs and Harleys for 25 yrs, and this is the most fun I have had in a long time. Enjoy it.

Tom

Congrats on your new purchase.I rode the 650 Burgman for 3 yrs as my 1st bike before moving up to an '09 FJR AE.I found the transition smooth since I never developed the clutch habit.Still have both bikes and like both very much.For tooling around locally and running errands,I prefer the Burgman.For sheer fun and touring I prefer the FJR.Since my daily commute often leads to a joy ride at the end of the day,the FJR gets the commute nod.You have one of the best looking,best handling bikes on the road.Ride safe.

I've been on the Burgman for the past 5 years. I'm also 48 years old and have a clear sense of my mortality. Believe me - I've been warned many times about the power difference between the two rides - especially from my wife!
Welcome from another noob, I've had my '08 FJR for about 5 weeks and 1500 miles. Your Burgman could probably blow the doors off my last ride (Ninja 250) on the highway. If it had doors.

I doubt if you'll have any problem adjusting to the FJR.