New FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhb820

Reaction score
After many months of agonizing over whether to buy a Goldwing or FJR, I walked into a local Yamaha dealer Friday afternoon (not expecting to buy one) and picked up my new 2010 FJR Saturday afternoon. All I can say is wow! I've been riding a Honda Shadow 1100VT for 6 years, and this FJR is unbelievable. I put 140 miles on it Saturday and now I'm on vacation and can't wait to get home to ride it again. I have concluded that I made the right decision. I did notice that my ride hand became very numb after a short distance, but maybe it's simply due to a totally different position than what I'm used to on the Shadow. I'll give it a few more rides before I determine if any mods are needed. I'll be checking this forum frequently for any ideas.

Congrats to you and the new FJR. You will enjoy even more as time goes by. Many options for improvements but just ride and enjoy first.

Excellent choice! I went from a Goldwing to a VTX1800F and then to my '08 FJR. I have had MANY bikes over the years and the FJR is the finest one I have ever had and the most fun to ride. Enjoy!

You made the right choice. An FJR will tour all day long comfortably, and still run like heck in the twisties. A wing is a nice machine, but it won't touch the FJR for just plain fun.

Enjoy!

I'm new on here also and a new FJR 07 owner. This is a great forum with some really nice people that helped me make my decision to buy a FJR, just by reading their comments and feedback. I was down to a Kawi and the FJR and I definitely made the right decision for me.

Best of luck to you!

From a Gold Wing to a Feejer!!

WOW, you must feel like you've gone to Heaven!! (Like the Rest of Us) Welcome to the Club!!

On the numb fingers... I get that randomly once in a while on either hand... Short of the great notes here on the forum to cure that, I just put my fingertips back up to the Clutch/Brake Lever and "tap/strum them" to restore some circulation. It generally takes about 3-5 minutes and it is once again gone for hours.

I've spent upwards of 14 hours in the saddle on the Feejer, and I have this happen about once a month.

Hope this helps!

Scott

WOW, you must feel like you've gone to Heaven!! (Like the Rest of Us) Welcome to the Club!!

On the numb fingers... I get that randomly once in a while on either hand... Short of the great notes here on the forum to cure that, I just put my fingertips back up to the Clutch/Brake Lever and "tap/strum them" to restore some circulation. It generally takes about 3-5 minutes and it is once again gone for hours.

I've spent upwards of 14 hours in the saddle on the Feejer, and I have this happen about once a month.

Hope this helps!

Scott
For what it's worth... Try relaxing your shoulders and bring your elbows in. The angle of the handlebars seem to come in slightly and it seems I put pressure on the outside heel of my hands. This is what "seems" to cause that for me. Only thing I found that helps is to bring my elbows in slightly to change the angle of my hands on the bars.

Hope this helps!

Scott
For what it's worth... Try relaxing your shoulders and bring your elbows in. The angle of the handlebars seem to come in slightly and it seems I put pressure on the outside heel of my hands. This is what "seems" to cause that for me. Only thing I found that helps is to bring my elbows in slightly to change the angle of my hands on the bars.
Thanks for the input. I'll give your suggestions a try. I rode 170 miles today and numb right hand just about the whole time...crazy!

Today was my second "full day" of riding my FJR. As a newbie, I'm still dealing with my right hand going numb, too. I'm breaking in a new seat, so my arse is hurting and my helmet fits too tight. Ha ha. It was a blast. I bought this thing called a crampbuster for $10 and it really doesn't take much effort and seems to work pretty well.

The FJR is a performance machine, incredible. I do love this bike! Riding today, it sticks in the curves and has more power than I will ever need. But the power is there!! Ha ha.

You picked the right bike and I did too! :eek: )

Today was my second "full day" of riding my FJR. As a newbie, I'm still dealing with my right hand going numb, too. I'm breaking in a new seat, so my arse is hurting and my helmet fits too tight. Ha ha. It was a blast. I bought this thing called a crampbuster for $10 and it really doesn't take much effort and seems to work pretty well.
The FJR is a performance machine, incredible. I do love this bike! Riding today, it sticks in the curves and has more power than I will ever need. But the power is there!! Ha ha.

+1 on the crampbuster.

You will get a soar arss after 150 miles on the stock seat. I joined the group buy on the russell seat and can't wait. I am currently using the Yamaha Comfort gel seat which used to get me about 300 comfortable miles. I have now also added an alaskin sheepskin with a 1/2 thick excersize pad cut to fit underneath the sheepskin. I have managed a few +700 mile days with this combo. lets see what the russel will do next season.

The feeejer is a blast,

ride safe,

Dave

Where did you join the group buy for the russell seat. I am looking to get in on this wonderfulness as well.

+1 on the crampbuster.

You will get a soar arss after 150 miles on the stock seat. I joined the group buy on the russell seat and can't wait. I am currently using the Yamaha Comfort gel seat which used to get me about 300 comfortable miles. I have now also added an alaskin sheepskin with a 1/2 thick excersize pad cut to fit underneath the sheepskin. I have managed a few +700 mile days with this combo. lets see what the russel will do next season.

The feeejer is a blast,

ride safe,

Dave

After many months of agonizing over whether to buy a Goldwing or FJR, I walked into a local Yamaha dealer Friday afternoon (not expecting to buy one) and picked up my new 2010 FJR Saturday afternoon. All I can say is wow! I've been riding a Honda Shadow 1100VT for 6 years, and this FJR is unbelievable. I put 140 miles on it Saturday and now I'm on vacation and can't wait to get home to ride it again. I have concluded that I made the right decision. I did notice that my ride hand became very numb after a short distance, but maybe it's simply due to a totally different position than what I'm used to on the Shadow. I'll give it a few more rides before I determine if any mods are needed. I'll be checking this forum frequently for any ideas.
You made the right decision. I bought a new 2010 FJR in May 2010 and have loved it. Let me know if you have any 2010 specific questions, as there aren't all that many members on here with 2010's.

Be safe and enjoy!

Grats on the new purchase. When I first rode the FJR I noticed a type of harmonic buzz in the handlebars. After the first throttle sync it was much better. With Grip Puppies and some nice gloves it was no longer an issue. Today it wasn't even a thought till you mentioned it. Sheesh. :yahoo:

Good riding.