New FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider2

Reaction score
Got my used (barely) 2008 FJR AE this morning. I am very satisfied with 2 exceptions:

1. The stock windscreen needs help at speed. I am 5'10" and fairly long waisted (30" inseam) so what direction should I go in. Do laminar lips work? On other bikes I have tended to end up with a collection of windshields and I would like to avoid that, if possible, this time around.

2. I need some kind of throttle lock but don't want to send a lot of money on it. The guy at the bike shop said that there was not enough room for the thumb lock type of lock. What do you guys think? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Got my used (barely) 2008 FJR AE this morning. I am very satisfied with 2 exceptions:

1. The stock windscreen needs help at speed. I am 5'10" and fairly long waisted (30" inseam) so what direction should I go in. Do laminar lips work? On other bikes I have tended to end up with a collection of windshields and I would like to avoid that, if possible, this time around.

2. I need some kind of throttle lock but don't want to send a lot of money on it. The guy at the bike shop said that there was not enough room for the thumb lock type of lock. What do you guys think? Any and all suggestions appreciated.
1.) Rifle Windscreen

2.)Vista cruise throttle lock

3.)FJR Facts section is loaded with info. including links to how-to sites that are invaluable

4.)use the search function and you'll find enough hits on these two topics to keep you busy for awhile

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike has a thumb type throttle lock. Not sure of brand, either. There are a lot of owners that have them. It'll likely take moving the controls around a bit. Wish I could give you more info but my lock was on the bike when I bought it.

Check out California scientific windshields. I'm 5 ft 8 and the medium worked for me. The web site will give you a heigth chart. Trottle meister at $130 is easy to install and works perfectly for me.

Bill

If you have some local forum guys, see if you can switch out windscreens with a couple of them, rather than sending checks out here and there and starting a new collection in your garage. It's subjective, but you'll find one you like more than others. I'm pretty bullish on CalSci too, though.

Congrats on the new bike, too.

p.s. The Vista Cruise is something rare: a $20 farkle. That works.

With the heated grips on the AE you need to use the universal Vista Cruise, not the one for Yamaha. The universal one has a couple flex points so it doesn't work as well as the Yamaha specific model.

The one documented on this install page won't work with the heated grips.

As an example here's a link to CA Sport Touring that has pictures of both versions. You will need the universal type.

Brian

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride! I am 6' with 30" inseam and have a National Vstream windshield which works perfectly for me. It came on the bike when I got it so I don't have any experience with any other windshield.

Instead of the Vista Cruise, there's always an electronic cruise control like this one:

https://www.mccruise.com

Very spendy but I love mine.

For the screen, I'm also happy with the CalSci large. Works great. And be sure to spend some time searching the forum and looking at what others have done to their bikes. Lots of good ideas on how to empty your wallet on lots of accessories.

On other bikes I have tended to end up with a collection of windshields and I would like to avoid that, if possible, this time around.
hahahaha, good luck. :lol:

It's been said before windshield nirvana on the FJR is generally a quest, and not a destination. To add more to the mix, I recently went with the CeeBaily's +2 +6 w/flip and am liking it. It'll end up as my staple for the cooler months, with the stocker for the summer..

I have the same bike.

I'm 5"11 w/33 inch inseam, No complaints with my CalSci +4 inch Windscreen for winter (stock for summer). I've not seen too many owners complain about any of the aftermarket screens, so consider price. The reason I chose the CalSci is the vent hole that relieves potential buffeting without any other modifications.

Throttlemeister throttle lock does the job just fine, and is a good looking bar end with some additional weight.

I used the Vista Cruise as shown on the FJRTech link as mentioned by Big-B. Originally bought the universal but did not want the bar crossing over the controls so I bought the one in the first link. I did not have to move any of the controls but I did shave down the end of the grip by about an eighth of an inch.

If you are looking to buy the universal vista cruise I still have one for sale.

I am on a quest for a new screen as well and have been reading and reading and reading. Let me know what you pick up as I am about the same size as you.

good hunting

Thanks for all the help guys (girls?). I am going to try to fit a thottlemeister that I had installed on a BMW to see if it will work, if not then I will go with Vista Cruise. Simpler is always better.

As far as windshields, I will probably end up getting a rifle. Expensive but it appears to be a well designed and manufactured item. I had a CalSci screen in the past and the finish did not impress me. The next question is what size to get...

I went about 175 miles today and my right hand went completely numb and my ears are still ringing from wind noise. The bike is great but in its present configuration too painful for long trips. I am 62 and have two metal hips so comfort is important to me!

Fuzzy, here's some thoughts on the numbness:

Cheap fixes: ($10 or less)

1. Install a pair of grip puppies (mine slid over the stock grips, using a little bit of Dawn and water for lubricant)

2. Get a cramp buster

3. Relax your grip.

More expensive things that also help:

1. Heli bar risers (they push you up and back a few inches, more upright seating, and they take the weight off your wrists more), about $325

2. Bar weights (the Throttle lock will double here as a bar end weight)

As for the noise, a box of Howard Leight foam ear plugs should do the trick...