New FRJ owner w/ stock bike, mods?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Crab

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the world of FJR (my other ride is a 2002 Ducati Monster Dark 620)

I'm about to take delivery of a 2007 FJR1300A (completely stock; not even the optional heated grips). I plan to do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife. Perhaps some overnight stays. Just wondering what you guys recommend as "must have" upgrades to this bike.

Here is a list of things on my shopping list that I plan to add immediately after I take delivery next week:

* Yamaha touring trunk w/backrest

* Vizi-Tec SupaBrake (have one on my Ducati and LOVE it)

* Motovation frame sliders

* Sena Bluetooth Headset and Intercom (2x)

I also want a good weatherproof GPS for the bike, so I'm considering the Garmin Nuvi 550 for $253 (don't want to spend the $$ for the Zumo). Anyone else use the 550? If so, what mount do you recommend?

Bike has the stock windshield. Do I need to buy the taller windscreen from Yamaha?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Do some searches on the site to answer all these questions. Cheaper and larger top cases out there, bracket really not necessary on gen II, sliders always a must have, gps is oh boy long story. Research and the answers will come to you. ;)

Do some searches on the site to answer all these questions. Cheaper and larger top cases out there, bracket really not necessary on gen II, sliders always a must have, gps is oh boy long story. Research and the answers will come to you. ;)

What do you mean by "bracket really not necessary"? Bracket for what? Thanks!

I've got an 07A Black Cherry Yamaha top case if you're interested. It has the factory bracket with it, but no backrest. You can always buy the back rest seperate though. Let me know if you're interested?

Lucas

If you are going to ride two-up, and depending upon how aggressive you ride, I strongly recommend a shock / spring upgrade. I ride 2-up all the time, but due to a lack of funds I have not yet upgraded; I did cheat a little, however, I changed out the dogbbones for a shorter ones, which lifts the back end up and gets me level when I am loaded for a trip.

Lots of places to get aftermarket luggage racks, trunks and mounts (ex. I have a Givi E52, bigger than the Yamaha), back rests, etc. Couple of places to start:

https://www.pca-one.com/

https://www.bikeeffects.com/categories.asp

Also search the site for the items you are considering, some of the members make find accessories like luggage racks, passenger floor boards, and so on.

I think you've got the basics down. Go to an FJR rally or two (SFO is coming up, then there'll be CFO, CFR, NERDS in August, and EOM in September; plenty of opportunities) and check out the parking lot to see what others have done.

Those damn rallies have cost me a shit-ton of money on farkles. :blink:

Oh - and stay away from Patriot's bike. You'll get lots of bad ideas. :p

One suggestion I have for you, though: a new seat. The wife and I did 550 miles one day on the stock seat and we were utterly miserable. I picked up a used Russell and now we laugh at only doing 550 in a day.

One suggestion I have for you, though: a new seat. The wife and I did 550 miles one day on the stock seat and we were utterly miserable. I picked up a used Russell and now we laugh at only doing 550 in a day.
What do you think about the Yamaha gel-seat?

What do you think about the Yamaha gel-seat?
I have never had the opportunity to ride on one. I went from the stock seat, to a used Bill Mayer, to the Russell. For me, the Russell is da bomb, and Sooze gives it "two buns up!"

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the world of FJR (my other ride is a 2002 Ducati Monster Dark 620)

I'm about to take delivery of a 2007 FJR1300A (completely stock; not even the optional heated grips). I plan to do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife. Perhaps some overnight stays. Just wondering what you guys recommend as "must have" upgrades to this bike.

Here is a list of things on my shopping list that I plan to add immediately after I take delivery next week:

* Yamaha touring trunk w/backrest (I don't have one but from what I have read there are better options.)

* Vizi-Tec SupaBrake (have one on my Ducati and LOVE it) ( not sure what this is?)

* Motovation frame sliders (absolutely first farkle)

* Sena Bluetooth Headset and Intercom (2x) (My wife just hits me when I don't listen!)

I also want a good weatherproof GPS for the bike, so I'm considering the Garmin Nuvi 550 for $253 (don't want to spend the $$ for the Zumo). Anyone else use the 550? If so, what mount do you recommend?

Bike has the stock windshield. Do I need to buy the taller windscreen from Yamaha?

Yamaha touring seat: Better than stock and even better with alaska sheepskin covers. I now switch back and forth with my russel. You will eventually get the russel.There is usually a group buy in the fall.

I have done a lot of two up riding aggressively on stock shocks. It can be done. If you have the money but its not a must have unless you are on the larger side of the scale. :rolleyes:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

* Yamaha touring trunk w/backrest

* Vizi-Tec SupaBrake (have one on my Ducati and LOVE it)

* Motovation frame sliders

* Sena Bluetooth Headset and Intercom (2x)

Ok I also started with the cheapest mods I could do to my FJR for two up riding. The stock seat didn't work for me but I think my wife was ok with it. So I tried the Yamaha touring seats(they are wider and flatter than the stock seats plus have gel in them) because they were the cheapest and the first season I used them my wife and I loved them. Then the second season came around and for some reason our old asses didn't like the Yamaha seats anymore. So I sold them and tried the Sargent seats and so far for two seasons my wife and I have been happy with them. I also put the passenger footpeg extension on and that added to her comfort. Most seem to be unhappy with the stock windshield. There are alot of different windshields to try. I have tried a few and the ones I have settled with are the VStream for colder temps and a Ceebaileys darksmoke stock size with Laminar lip for summer months works best for me. But I'm only 5'6" with a 28" inseam so your results may differ.Here is a pic of the Ceebaileys with Laminar lip

Memorialweekend2010006.jpg

Here is a pic with the OEM trunk and the Yamaha gel seats

NewapartmentandFJR004.jpg

Here is a pic of the Sargent seats

MaineFJrally002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your tank bag... and tell me more about your GPS setup... what kind of GPS? I was thinking about a Nuvi 550 (Garmin)... I like your mounting position, what kind of mount are you using?

Oh, someone asked about the Vizi-Tec SupaBrake... it's a tail light flasher. The first time you hit the brakes, the tail light strobes 4 or 5 times. if you let off the brake, then hit it again a few seconds later, it won't flash (it will be steady-on like stock). It's a really nice system... real attention-getter for traffic behind you. And it's not annoying like some systems that flash the tail light every time you hit the brakes. I have one on my Ducati, my brother saw it and immediately bought one for his VStrom. It's one of my must-have safety items... upgrading the horn is another must-have.

I like your tank bag... and tell me more about your GPS setup... what kind of GPS? I was thinking about a Nuvi 550 (Garmin)... I like your mounting position, what kind of mount are you using?

My GPS is a Magellan you see in the picture but it is no longer with us. RIP GPS. I now have a Nuvi 550 (mounted the same way) which is water proof for Motorcycles. I have a ram ball on the steering stem nut. I just recently got a longer ram arm so it brings the GPS up closer to my older eyes.

MaineFJrally002.jpg

I see you have the factory top box mount, but what kind of setup is it hooked up too.?? The arms look black, did you just paint them or is it a stronger setup. Also what is that cord (with red top) just near bottom of fuel tank on left.

I see you have the factory top box mount, but what kind of setup is it hooked up too.?? The arms look black, did you just paint them or is it a stronger setup. Also what is that cord (with red top) just near bottom of fuel tank on left.

Yes I have the Givi trunk mount on the bike and I welded a couple plates to it so I could mount the Yamaha trunk mount on it. I also mounted it a little further back so my wife has more room. Yes the red plug is for my tourmaster heated vest.

I have a ram ball on the steering stem nut. I just recently got a longer ram arm so it brings the GPS up closer to my older eyes.
I can't seem to find the steering-stem nut RAM ball. Where did you get yours? Do you have a part number? thanks!

I cant beleive no one has mentioned FZ1 mirrors and the WynPro kick stand puck...sliders you mentioned, but those two, for safety reasons, are essential IMHO.