new front tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don handshy

Reaction score
After bar risers and handlebar adjustment, was still putting too much weight on my wrists and the steering was just way to quick for my me. Sooo, put a Metzler MEZ2 130/80-17 tire on the front to raise it up. This tire is 1.5" taller overall(3/4" above and below the axle) and barely fits beneath the fender. The tire is a H rated radial rear tire, with a front tire looking tread pattern. Have it mounted with the directional arrow pointing the correct way and have about 500 mi so far. I am very pleased with the outcome ...less pressure on my wrists and the steering is more to my liking. Have also picked up a bit of ground clearance, as the footpegs are scraping less. I believe that I will go with a 170/60-17 rear tire when its time, to further tailor the handling to suit me...don

I am no expert on steering geometry. but I think that raising the front a bit like that will make the steering a little less responsive, a little more like a standard or cruiser and less like a sport bike. Is that what you feel?

I am no expert on steering geometry. but I think that raising the front a bit like that will make the steering a little less responsive, a little more like a standard or cruiser and less like a sport bike. Is that what you feel?

thats correct...it slows down the steering a bit...I didnt want a sport bike...wanted a sport tourer...don

I don't know that I would do that but you've modified the bike for your needs and riding style. It probably doesn't affect the steering any more than those who have lowered the rear using dog bones to allow for being vertically challenged. Most are not aggressive riders so it's a winning combination for them.

Be careful that the tire doesn't rub "at speed". I put an oversized tire on my '89 Connie and it rubbed the inside of the front fender above 75 mph. I noticed little curls of plastic coming from under the nose of the front fender one afternoon. I'm thinkin' the FJR fender would be a little more difficult to raise than the Connie was,

I don't know that I would do that but you've modified the bike for your needs and riding style. It probably doesn't affect the steering any more than those who have lowered the rear using dog bones to allow for being vertically challenged. Most are not aggressive riders so it's a winning combination for them.
Be careful that the tire doesn't rub "at speed". I put an oversized tire on my '89 Connie and it rubbed the inside of the front fender above 75 mph. I noticed little curls of plastic coming from under the nose of the front fender one afternoon. I'm thinkin' the FJR fender would be a little more difficult to raise than the Connie was,
thot about dogbones but didnt want to lose the ground clearance...don

Remember one thing, rear tires are designed to push the bike forward and the front to stop it from going forward (Braking). 2 different design torque factors. Also the belts are designed to tighten with the respective tire in proper use. Might cause it to delaminate if ran in reverse usage over time. Not saying it will, just might. Something to think about.

Remember one thing, rear tires are designed to push the bike forward and the front to stop it from going forward (Braking). 2 different design torque factors. Also the belts are designed to tighten with the respective tire in proper use. Might cause it to delaminate if ran in reverse usage over time. Not saying it will, just might. Something to think about.

the tire is mounted with the directional arrow going the proper direction...don