New guy ?s, yea I did a search...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
Just got a new FJR1300A, black cherry :clapping: . I have a couple of questions about my new bike. Have read a lot of posts and not seen any info.

In the "port" on the right fairing behind and level with the blinker there is a piece of gray foam rubber. It is visible from the driver position looking into the port. Is this normal (maybe to control airflow)? or did the dealer forgot to remove a piece of packing foam?

Next question. When I compress the fork while holding the front brake the fork makes a slight "thunk." With the bike on the centerstand and the front wheel in the air I can't feel any looseness, clicking, or thunking in the forks when I push/pull on the lower fork leg. What do you guys think? I suspect that this is normal suspension noise, just different from my prior bikes.

The local shop has only had 2 FJRs in the last year so I suspect that the shop will not be that much help.

The bike runs and handle great, can't wait for the first trip to the twisties.

Ross

Your guess about the foam is correct. It is there to force the air out through the vent rather than allowing the hot air to exit toward the cockpit.

The thunk can be many things...my first guess would be the steering stem torque (not just the visible stem nut). There are reports every year that they are not tight enough from the factory. It takes a special tool and your dealer may not have one.

Again, that's only a guess having not heard it personally.

Just got a new FJR1300A, black cherry :clapping: . I have a couple of questions about my new bike. Have read a lot of posts and not seen any info.
In the "port" on the right fairing behind and level with the blinker there is a piece of gray foam rubber. It is visible from the driver position looking into the port. Is this normal (maybe to control airflow)? or did the dealer forgot to remove a piece of packing foam?

Next question. When I compress the fork while holding the front brake the fork makes a slight "thunk." With the bike on the centerstand and the front wheel in the air I can't feel any looseness, clicking, or thunking in the forks when I push/pull on the lower fork leg. What do you guys think? I suspect that this is normal suspension noise, just different from my prior bikes.

The local shop has only had 2 FJRs in the last year so I suspect that the shop will not be that much help.

The bike runs and handle great, can't wait for the first trip to the twisties.

Ross
There are also a couple of other places there is foam for heat deflection.

My bike has also developed the thunk you refer to. It goes into the dealer tomorrow.

Could that noise be related to the floating discs?
Very unlikely. The FJR has semi-floating disks, and they are fairly tight right out of the crate.

The "thunk" is a relatively well-known issue with new bikes that do not have their steering stem bearings tightened to spec. Once this simple procedure is performed, the "thunk" is no more.

We hear about this same issue about this time every year as new models start to be delievered. It has been the same every year since the bike was was introduced here in North America in 2002. Why Yamaha can't get this right at the factory assembly line is a continuing source of amazement. Sorta like their proclivity to fail to adequately lube the driveshaft splines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Warchild, nice to see you here, too. Fireblades, STN, ezboard, and now here?

Another vote for steering stem torque. My steering stem nut was practically loose. A tiny bit of work with a wrench, and presto, I haven't heard that thunk in some 44,000 miles.

I was having the same clunk as you described on my 06 AE. Did all the normal checks, had the dealer check steering head tightness. Found that is was coming from play of the front floating rotors. To verify have someone closely watch the movement of the rotor as you rock the bike back an forth with the front brake applied. I was able to detect a definite movement between the floating disk and the small holding rings each time it clunked. Oddly the problem is not as pronounced now as it was when it was new. (or maybe I'm just use to it) :rolleyes:

My '06 thunked. I thought it might be the head bearing. Took it to the shop, the mechanic did a very thorough inspection, showed me in the end it was definitely one side rotor.

He said it would disappear with time/miles as the rivets "crudded up" (my words not his). He was right, at over about 1500 miles I never notice it unless I put the brake on whilst going backwards, this loosens it again. (I try to go backwards only when pushing with my feet.)

I have an occasional thunk, but it seems to be coming from the gauge cluster, rocking a bit. Everytime I hear it, the gauges pop forward a bit.

My '06 thunked. I thought it might be the head bearing. Took it to the shop, the mechanic did a very thorough inspection, showed me in the end it was definitely one side rotor.
He said it would disappear with time/miles as the rivets "crudded up" (my words not his). He was right, at over about 1500 miles I never notice it unless I put the brake on whilst going backwards, this loosens it again. (I try to go backwards only when pushing with my feet.)
Interesting. Since the rotors are semi-floating (or is it fully floating), I can see that there would be some play laterally, but from front to back? Well, as long as it's no more than an annoyance, I guess it's ok, just seems a little odd, s'all.

There is some play in the front brake calipers that is causing the noise you are hearing. The play is normal and it's nothing to worry about.

Yesterday after work I was able to sit on a 2006 with 2000+ miles and it makes the exact same "thunk." The owner standing 3 foot away could not hear anything so it is not so much a noise as a feeling thru the handlebars. I am going to assume that it is as spinner says, a normal mechanical noise. Will let the mechanic know when I do the 600 mile service.

Thanks all.

There is some play in the front brake calipers that is causing the noise you are hearing. The play is normal and it's nothing to worry about.

Have you added a Stem Mount in place of the Stem Nut that came with the bike???

If so, this nut has to be torqued back to 85 ft/lb and you need to loosen the upper fork pinch bolts, only, before tightening this nut or mount. Also, you will need ro re-torque the pinch bolts 24 ft/lb.

I had a metel type clicking, when I hit a bump, and needed to torque this stem nut to the proper 85 ft/lbs.

Noise went away.

See if this helps.

If by stem mount you mean the just the stem nut on very top of the top triple tree that is threaded for a RAM ball the answer is "no." However this looks to be one of my first farkles and I will do as you recomend when I get it.

Thanks

Have you added a Stem Mount in place of the Stem Nut that came with the bike???
If so, this nut has to be torqued back to 85 ft/lb and you need to loosen the upper fork pinch bolts, only, before tightening this nut or mount. Also, you will need ro re-torque the pinch bolts 24 ft/lb.

I had a metel type clicking, when I hit a bump, and needed to torque this stem nut to the proper 85 ft/lbs.

Noise went away.

See if this helps.