New jacket help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc1974

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new jacket. I cuurently have a BMW comfort shell, it was expensive and after owning it i would not say it was worth the $$$. Quality and protection are most important to me, folowed by comfort of course. I want something that's 3 season as i live in iowa and can ride in 3 seasons in one day! Wondered what guys are wearing and like or don't like about them.

I'd also like to get my wife riding and would like to get her something, also wondering which way to go for her. I was thinkin maybe mesh because she won't get as much air being behind me on hot days. But that won't offer much for cooler weather. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about a new jacket. I cuurently have a BMW comfort shell, it was expensive and after owning it i would not say it was worth the $$$. Quality and protection are most important to me, folowed by comfort of course. I want something that's 3 season as i live in iowa and can ride in 3 seasons in one day! Wondered what guys are wearing and like or don't like about them.

I'd also like to get my wife riding and would like to get her something, also wondering which way to go for her. I was thinkin maybe mesh because she won't get as much air being behind me on hot days. But that won't offer much for cooler weather. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
I did a lot of research on this subject a few years ago. Wound up buying Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar. At the time, it was the only textile approved for racing. It was the user testimonials that sold me on the product, well that and the warranty, and the custom sizing, and the fact that I didn't need a summer suit as well as a winter one, and ... well, you get the idea. I love my Motoport. Have ridden year round in MN for several years. The only exception being this last year. Too much ice on the ground.

My wife and I both had Olympia Airglide3 pants, and we just bought the Airglide3 jackets to go with them. I have only put about 400 miles on the combo so far, but I have already ridden with all the liners in (jacket rain liner also has its own thermal liner), with just the rain liner and then without any liners. The armor is CE-approved at shoulders and elbows (has adjustment at the elbows to keep armor in place) and it also has a spine protector built in. I do not want to prove the protection part of the equation, but already I like the ability to convert to three different levels of weather conditions. With all liners out, I kept checking to see if I had forgotten to zip the jacket all the way, as I felt a lot of air moving through. I have yet to try this in weather above 80 though, so we'll see later this summer how cool I can stay. Coldest I've ridden in is about 57, so no real test there either. That will have to wait for the fall. With just the rain liner (no thermal), I wasn't getting a lot of airthrough (as expected), so it might prove to be a tad warm when riding in summer rains, but I suspect it would keep me relatively dry, as advertised. Again, haven't really tested that part yet.

Overall, the combo is comfortable and I don't think I'll have any issues with that on longer rides. The only real complaint is that when on the bike, the knee armor seems to slip to the inside (toward the tank). When I stand up, it goes right where it needs to be, but I wonder if I had a get-off if it would be where I needed it when I needed it. It's not inexpensive, but it so far seems like a decent investment.

I did a lot of research on this subject a few years ago. Wound up buying Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar. At the time, it was the only textile approved for racing. It was the user testimonials that sold me on the product, well that and the warranty, and the custom sizing, and the fact that I didn't need a summer suit as well as a winter one, and ... well, you get the idea. I love my Motoport. Have ridden year round in MN for several years. The only exception being this last year. Too much ice on the ground.
Motoport stuff is the bomb.

I'm thinking about a new jacket. I cuurently have a BMW comfort shell, it was expensive and after owning it i would not say it was worth the $. Quality and protection are most important to me, folowed by comfort of course. I want something that's 3 season as i live in iowa and can ride in 3 seasons in one day! Wondered what guys are wearing and like or don't like about them.

I also use the Olympia Airglide, but have closer to 50K miles on my Jacket. Pants have been replaced once. It is the perfect year-round setup. I have ridden from 110 F to 10 F with this gear. In very cold weather I supplement with a Warm & Safe electric jacket liner. It protects from wet weather, cold, and can be used as a mesh summer outfit. I have no intention to crash test this gear, so don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Joe Rocket's lineup of leather jackets. Very comfortable fit for the FJR's seating position. Fantastic airflow. I use the Blaster 4.0 I believe which was just replaced by the 'sonic 2.0' from what I can tell. Very warm jackets and the crash protection will be great. Extremely comfortable neck area, can button it so it bows out and does not touch your neck.

Warm jacket too, doesn't let much if any airflow through it with the vents closed.

I have a Joe Rocket not sure on model but I really like it. Fits me great and has a lot of protection. Plus very affordable as far as jackets go

+1 On the Olympia gear.

I did give up on the idea of one set for all seasons. Ended up with 2 complete sets. One for above 65 degree and the heavier stuff for below. Even with 2 complete sets, it was about a $600.00 investment.

If and when I need to replace, it will be with Olympia gear.

I concur with wnyfjr, TomInCA and ScottyUSN, Olympia gear is a very good bang for the buck. I'm not disputing Motoport's crash worthiness, just for me the Olympia gear is working out great for me and the wife. She has the AirGlide3 set up Ladies AirGlide 3 and loves it, works at 90 degrees plus for her and has kept her dry in wind driven rain storms. I recently got the Airglide 3 pants with the GT Air All Season jacket Oly GT Air and so far really like it with on the fly venting adjustments on the jacket. Haven't tried it in the rain yet, but am confident that the liner will perform as well as the Airglide 3 liners. The halfway fashionable liners work as casual gear in the evening reducing the packed load on trips as well.

I'm a died in the wool Aerostitch Roadcrafter fan, been wearing one for over 5 years, (suffered through a summer in Phoenix), but the Olympia gear vents soooo much better in the California heat and although some may say it's a trade off in protection, the Olympia has 2000 deiner CORDURA on the shoulders, elbows, forearms, sides and back, where the Roadcrafter has 1050 deiner on shoulders, forearms,knees & shins. Not starting a debate on which is better, as stated, I like them both, but the more I ride with the Olympia gear (6 lbs. lighter than the Roadcrafter), the more I like it. YMMV.

I'm a died in the wool Aerostitch Roadcrafter fan, been wearing one for over 5 years, (suffered through a summer in Phoenix), but the Olympia gear vents soooo much better in the California heat and although some may say it's a trade off in protection, the Olympia has 2000 deiner CORDURA on the shoulders, elbows, forearms, sides and back, where the Roadcrafter has 1050 deiner on shoulders, forearms,knees & shins. Not starting a debate on which is better, as stated, I like them both, but the more I ride with the Olympia gear (6 lbs. lighter than the Roadcrafter), the more I like it. YMMV.
I hear ya. I, too, love the protection of my Roadcrafter, but for trips with the wife where we stop and browse or whatever, getting into and out of that 'stich and then cramming it into the side case (yes, it will fit if stuffed!) is a bit much. And in the heat, the ventilation of the 'stich isn't bad, but the Airglide is hands-down the winner for airflow. Yes, i's a trade off in safety to some degree (and I'd like to keep that an unknown quantity!), but so far, I'm loving the Olympia gear in the warmer weather.

I have a Cortech ("up-scale" from Tour Master) HRX mesh jacket I've been wearing close to 4 years. Crashed twice, still wearing it, although an inch of stitches had to be repaired in the second crash (30-mph low-side.) It has leather impact surfaces, very good armor, although I did have to replace some armor I neglected (forgot) to remove for a laundry cycle, said armor got brittle and broken after that.

Cortech and Tour Master jackets have the 2-way linings with them, a lighter waterproof windbreaker and a heavier quilted thermal liner. Without the liners it's good for summer heat. I've ridden it down to 25 degrees, with an additional fleece jacket and sweatshirt underneath.

I wear Tour Master mesh overpants as well, also crash-tested, and replaced when the side zipper quit working after 3 years.

Depends on budget and what makes you feel good.

Motoport is great stuff but very pricey.

Tourmaster and Olympia both have really good solid gear that you ought to check into. They aren't bottom of the chain, but still the Air 2 Tourmaster in a new Webbikeworld article retails for $179 and you can find discontinued models online for less. Both do offer mesh jackets that have liners to configure for the current conditions. They also both have Men's and Ladie's lines so you and the wife can go coordinated.

+1 on Olympia gear. They make quality gear at attractive prices. I've put almost 30,000 miles on my Airglide 2 jacket & pants.

They protected me well. Ask me how I know.

+1 on Olympia gear. They make quality gear at attractive prices. I've put almost 30,000 miles on my Airglide 2 jacket & pants.

They protected me well. Ask me how I know.
Ok 51btrout, how do you know that the gear protected you well?

I've been considering the Olympia gear as well, specifically the GT Air All Seasons Transition jacket & pants.

You'll do well to take a good look at the Firstgear TPG Rainier Jacket.

I bought mine two years ago and have put 58,000 miles on it. I ride all four seasons and can't give it enough praise. Great customer services as well.

Great Protection - Waterproof (even without the liner) - Great Functionality - Very High Quality Workmanship - Great Liner. It's well worth your consideration.

Keep Going!

I'm lusting for the Firstgear Rainier Jacket. It's got the d3o armor dealio that i've been waiting to see on motorcycle jackets for years. They did a great demo at the bike show with the stuff where you wrap it around a finger and smash the stuff with a hammer and you can't even feel it. Amazing stuff and really light. The jackets got waterproof zippers like you find on a wet suit. It's probably the best thought out jacket in the industry. Now all i need is $500 smackers.

I have the Olympia one piece suit. Olympia Phantom

I found it on sale for a price well below the cost of separate pants and jacket.

It's much easier to put on than you might think - I expect I can put it on quite a bit faster than a two piece set. I'm very pleased with the fit and quality of construction. I haven't had it long enough to know what it will be like in hot weather, but the vents seem very effective. If I leave them open I freeze in cool weather. It's certainly very warm in cold weather.

I have some bad news: There is no "perfect" gear for every weather occasion. That's one of the reasons that my closet is (ridiculously) full of many different options. That said, the gear that covers the most range is the Olympia Airglide mesh. With liners in you'll be comfortable down to maybe 45 degrees and without up as high as you can go. There is really nothing availbel with any substantial protection that will flow more air than the Airglide. Below 45 you really need a different (looser) setup so you can layer up, and / or use electrically heated liners.

So, +10 on the Olympia.

There is really nothing availbel with any substantial protection that will flow more air than the Airglide
I disagree. Motoport Air Mesh Jackets. IMO the best protection you can buy, backed by the best warranty in the market. With my rain/wind liner out it feels like I am not wearing a jacket. The wind flows right through.