New Kuryakyns!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr._Gone

Reaction score
I just purchased a new set of Kuryakyn ISO black grips. (Awesome grips, by the way!) The throttle grip went on smooth as silk and with the glue, it's rock-solid — so no problem. The clutch grip, however, won't adhere, and twists around my 7/8" bar. I've seen a few posts regarding this issue on other forums (sport-touring.net and vfrdiscussion), and most advise using a layer or two of tape to increase the bar diameter, then installing the grip.

Questions: what type of tape? Will black electrical tape work? Will the tape bunch up as I slide on the grip? Should I still use the glue? Should I maybe change glue? (I'm currently using Scott Grip Glue.)

Or does anyone have a better idea?

Any advice would be most helpful.

I have used electrical tape and medical tape in the past. Electrical tape is probably the better choice because it is easier to slide the grip on. Just make sure to stretch the tape as you wrap it. The grip should be a tight fit. A solution of water and dish soap should be used to lubricate the grip as it slides on. The soap will cause the grip to rotate until it dries, but then should be solid.

Never have had to use grip glue.

Hairspray work really well also.
Had the same problem, two winds of electrical tape, add the glue and it fits solid. Why the slight clearance I do not know but the tape is a quick solution. What's more, you'll love the grips and lack of vibration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hairspray work really well also.
Had the same problem, two winds of electrical tape, add the glue and it fits solid. Why the slight clearance I do not know but the tape is a quick solution. What's more, you'll love the grips and lack of vibration.
I do love the grips. Black electrical tape worked, and I need a rubber hammer to get the grip on the last two inches or so. I needed four winds of the tape. However, if I really crank hard I can still get the grip to rotate. I will in all likelihood remove the grip this weekend, scrape off the tape, and tape the grip again... probably with six or maybe even eight layers. I'm thinking that should work.

But I agree with you... I love the grips!!!

if you can find it, gaffers tape. tough as hell, waterproof, will not slip, doesn't mind heat and cold etc...

spendy, but it will do a lot of things... including fixing a tear in rain gear that will not leak, holding a boot together, holding any part of a bike to any other part of a bike, repair seats, secure hardened criminals... you name it

never deploy or ride without it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GVVA0/

another idea is an specialty electrical supply company many have some large gauge heat shrink tubing...or even tape that would give you a rock solid base once activated...

i have seen it up to 1 inch ID...

What model bike did you order these for. They look awesome and I have been wanting to do a upgrade.
Timberwolf, I have a 2006 FJR. The throttle grip went on perfectly. I ended up having to wrap the bar on the clutch side about 8 times with electrical tape, stretched and wrapped very very tight. Then I dunked the grip in soapy water and hammered the clutch grip onto the bar. (I used a rubber mallet when hammering the grip end, and had a washcloth between the hammer and the grip so I wouldn't scrape it up.) It seems to have worked.

I love the look of the Kuryakyn black ISO grips, but I will say that without bar ends my right hand goes numb after about four hours of riding. I'm sure this has to do with the absence of bar end weights. And Kuryakyn does NOT make bar end weights for the 7/8" grips to match the black ISO, so I'm out of luck unless I want to go with something chrome.

Anyway, I do love the feel of the Kuryakyns... they are very fat and comfortable.

I hope this helps with your decision.

And Kuryakyn does NOT make bar end weights for the 7/8" grips to match the black ISO, so I'm out of luck unless I want to go with something chrome.
These?

WP_001268.jpg

And Kuryakyn does NOT make bar end weights for the 7/8" grips to match the black ISO, so I'm out of luck unless I want to go with something chrome.
These?

WP_001268.jpg
Yes, those! I called Kuryakyn and they said they didn't have black bar end weights for the 7/8" black ISO grips. Of course, maybe I was talking to the wrong guy.

But if you have them, please please please provide info. Or perhaps the 1" black bar end weights will also fit the 7/8".

Check post #30 on this thread...

I really do like them, by the way. The ISO grips were a great addition (I've used them on several previous rides) but there is a further noticeable deadening of the bars with these.

Check post #30 on this thread...

I really do like them, by the way. The ISO grips were a great addition (I've used them on several previous rides) but there is a further noticeable deadening of the bars with these.
You, sir, are a great man! I just ordered the black bar end weights from Kuryakyn. I too love the grips, but noticed after a 4-hour ride that my right thumb was numb. I'm hoping this helps. Thank you!!!

noticed after a 4-hour ride that my right thumb was numb.
If that's all it takes to be a "great man... Hmmm...

On the serious side, what size gloves do you wear? I fixed my thumb (and middle finger, actually) numbness issue by going up a size in gloves. I think the gloves were cutting blood flow...

When you install the bar ends, you'll remove the 4 small bolts, pry (CAREFULLY!) off the existing caps and add the bar ends. Be careful to retain the "ring" the goes between the grip and cap/end.

noticed after a 4-hour ride that my right thumb was numb.
If that's all it takes to be a "great man... Hmmm...

On the serious side, what size gloves do you wear? I fixed my thumb (and middle finger, actually) numbness issue by going up a size in gloves. I think the gloves were cutting blood flow...

When you install the bar ends, you'll remove the 4 small bolts, pry (CAREFULLY!) off the existing caps and add the bar ends. Be careful to retain the "ring" the goes between the grip and cap/end.
I've had the same summer gloves for a couple years now, and with a couple different bikes, so I don't think it's the gloves. I could be wrong, though, but I rode my FJR home for 3 hours after I purchased it and no numb thumb. For $40 I'm hoping the bar end weights will work, or at least get me to 6-8 hours of riding before the onset of numbness. Even on long trips, I don't ride much beyond 8 hours per day... I like to sightsee.

Anyway, the Kuryakyn bar end weights are on the way. I am hoping they help. I appreciate the help. Really. I am constantly amazed how helpful everyone has been on advrider.

These?

WP_001268.jpg
Yes, those! I called Kuryakyn and they said they didn't have black bar end weights for the 7/8" black ISO grips. Of course, maybe I was talking to the wrong guy.

But if you have them, please please please provide info. Or perhaps the 1" black bar end weights will also fit the 7/8".
Kuryakyn black bar end weights came in the mail today, and are installed. Perfect fit, and they look great. A day trip tomorrow will prove whether the bar end weights are worth the coin.

Also, HUGE thanks to txvoyager for showing me the light. Apparently Kuryakyn reps don't even know that their black bar end weights are the same for the 7/8" and 1" black ISO grips. I thought I was out of luck until txvoyager proved smarter than the Kuryakyn guys.