New Lurker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog

Reaction score
I've always been FJR curious, and am again since I have sold my KTM 1290
My current "big" bike is a Tiger 900, and I love her, but she is a bit busy at speed on "boring" Roads
and I am considering some longer rides which can't all be twisties or beautiful scenery.
I really wish I could get a ride on an 2016 (or newer) FJR1300ES. I live in Western CO and there are none around.
I am a fairly aggressive rider, 65 years old and riding since I was 20. I've owned many many bikes, and I like to travel a bit
My biggest concern about the FJR:
1. Will I use it? Will I like the longer distance riding on that bike. I do 1-2 1000-2000 miles per year trips, but focus on Western US roads and don't actually get that far from home. 300-500 miles per day.
2. Riding position will definitely need work: I love the ADV style positions of my latest bikes, KTM ADVs and Tiger ADVs. I have really short arms and I like the bars high and bit back. I'm not a big man and it really works for me. I had an ST1300 and even with Helibars I suffered from neck and shoulder pain.
I look forward to doing some more reading and learning from the members.

Welcome from metro Seattle! Good luck with your search. Lots of good bikes out there...be patient and you'll find "the right" bike.

Happy hunting!

~G

Regarding point 2, Ever played with http://cycle-ergo.com/ ? Absolutely no replacement for getting some saddle time, but it at least gives you an idea of what the numbers look like. Can adjust for height and inseam, and add handlbar rise + pullback to see how adjusting the bars changes seating posture

1725631486014.png

FJR looks like it has a more "sport" position than the ST does, and it's something I personally find desirable. Less pressure on my tail-bone and lower spine means less back pain on long rides (lower back pain is my distance limiter, never had issues with shoulders or necks). I run the stock bars and can't comment on the impact of helibars or similar. I do see quite a few people that have turned the FJR into a sportier Goldwing by moving the bars back, adding driver backrests, etc.

If you ever find yourself in the NC/SC area I'll be happy to let you take mine for a spin.

Last edited:
BP, I had forgotten about this tool. I have used in the past trying to set up bike, but with the my ADV bikes all having regular bars I forgot about it. Thanks!
If I make it to NC/SC (have lived in both states back in the day) I'll hopefully be on an FJR... There is one in Myrtle Beach for a good price with low miles, and I could visit my ol' stomping grounds.

This is from a Tiger 1050, but close to my Tiger 900: No gold wing but with my Trex arms it gives me a similar set up like my dirt bikes. JUst works for me. I sit wayforward and hinge my arms in fast conditions, getting lots of weight on the front tire. OLD school Superbike ergonomics. My 65 back is in way better condition than my torn up shoulders.
AD_4nXd0BYvc6LBs0kilCeygEtVeI-bY8EjfeAkv-qOR92ILsbNntFIWS2ub1cTFFgGKdkdDKLluAlGYvVDSgyLPjUw4W9aa_UDHT7xQvQgNLRmNyujVSpZJ5VRcekMwMKjYiBt8NIDM1JCb0BjqmAz_7lll6k-1

TLDR: You will love the FJR for your stated purposes!
Now for some detail if you care to read

Had my 2015 since bought new and my concern at that time was adding another hundred pounds compared to the bike before. Most of my rides are flat out haul ass Country Roads and curvy Foothills and some serious twisty stuff in the Sierra east of California Central Valley. I did a 2000 mile road trip with a buddy also on an FJR through the Sierra, Death Valley, Utah national parks, and back through Nevada High Desert and the FJR ate up those miles and spit out the bones!
I just this summer did a guided 10-day tour through the European Alps with Lilly tours (look em up, what a great guy!), with 2600 km on a Husqvarna Norden 901(maybe most fun and most challenge I've ever had on a bike, and I'm 69) and that bike is more than 100 lbs lighter than the FJR, and while it was an absolute torquey BLAST to ride that over the passes and miles of stacked up switchbacks those Euros engineeredScreenshot_20240619_123717_Samsung Notes.jpg, the first ride I took on the FJ when I got back made me smile and realize just how much I like the planted feel of all that power in such a solid machine. If all I ever did was tight mountain twisties, well maybe a lighter bike would suffice, but if you want a bike that can do those roads plus miles of the curvy 60mph 4th gear asphalt to get you there, then take the windshield up a bit and set the cruise at 100 out on some road in bumfuck nowhere, well the FJR has your name writ large on that 5.5 gal tank. Enjoy your hunt for 2-wheel satisfaction friend!

After several trips through the European Alps I firmly believe that riding a moto through the Swiss Alps should be on every rider's bucket list. There is nothing that compares.

Here's my photo of the old Tremola cobblestone pass on my 2009 FJR from last summer.

20230709_150259-XL.jpg

And another Swiss pass.

20230709_125334-XL.jpg

TLDR: You will love the FJR for your stated purposes!
Now for some detail if you care to read

Had my 2015 since bought new and my concern at that time was adding another hundred pounds compared to the bike before. Most of my rides are flat out haul ass Country Roads and curvy Foothills and some serious twisty stuff in the Sierra east of California Central Valley. I did a 2000 mile road trip with a buddy also on an FJR through the Sierra, Death Valley, Utah national parks, and back through Nevada High Desert and the FJR ate up those miles and spit out the bones!
I just this summer did a guided 10-day tour through the European Alps with Lilly tours (look em up, what a great guy!), with 2600 km on a Husqvarna Norden 901(maybe most fun and most challenge I've ever had on a bike, and I'm 69) and that bike is more than 100 lbs lighter than the FJR, and while it was an absolute torquey BLAST to ride that over the passes and miles of stacked up switchbacks those Euros engineeredView attachment 8064, the first ride I took on the FJ when I got back made me smile and realize just how much I like the planted feel of all that power in such a solid machine. If all I ever did was tight mountain twisties, well maybe a lighter bike would suffice, but if you want a bike that can do those roads plus miles of the curvy 60mph 4th gear asphalt to get you there, then take the windshield up a bit and set the cruise at 100 out on some road in bumfuck nowhere, well the FJR has your name writ large on that 5.5 gal tank. Enjoy your hunt for 2-wheel satisfaction friend!
I am in the Fresno/ Clovis area, and love riding the Sierras. Awesome write up! Note...6.6 gal tank!

After several trips through the European Alps I firmly believe that riding a moto through the Swiss Alps should be on every rider's bucket list. There is nothing that compares.

Here's my photo of the old Tremola cobblestone pass on my 2009 FJR from last summer.

20230709_150259-XL.jpg

And another Swiss pass.

20230709_125334-XL.jpg
You guys came to europe??? with fjr and everything ???? Super!!

You guys came to europe??? with fjr and everything ???? Super!!

Yes! I shipped one of my FJRs over there in 2019 for a two-month moto trip. After that trip I kept it there at Knopf Tours in Heidelberg, Germany. He only charges $350/yr to store and has a Moto BnB. I brought it back after last year for some major maintenance due. So, four out of the last 5 years I have been over on your side of the pond loving life!

i have been asking myself how much it cost shipping a FJR from USa to Europe, since they aren't sold here anymore, but it seems i can not import a usa bike and put a belgian numberplate on it, due to the Euro norms for emissions ...

i have been asking myself how much it cost shipping a FJR from USa to Europe, since they aren't sold here anymore, but it seems i can not import a usa bike and put a belgian numberplate on it, due to the Euro norms for emissions ...
The FJR sold quite well in the U.K. Brexit dumbass crap made importing one more difficult and expensive than pre Brexit but there are quite a few for sale second hand there. I was looking for months in Spain but there are very few for sale here, especially six speed variants that I wanted, but the U.K. has quite a good selection, there may even be the odd brand new one in a shop somewhere if you want that.