New member also w/clutch issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean, I also had the dreaded clutch relese problem on my 2007 FJR, starting at about 1,200 mi. I had the local dealer bleed the system and replace the fluid in total. This helped but did not completely cure the problem. A local mechanic and FJR owner recommended changing the engine oil to Honda HP4, a synthetic w/out molly (prevents clutch slippage), and periodacly hold the clutch lever in during warm up to allow fresh, warm oil to the clutch. He also recommended letting the motor warm up to operating temp before riding. I followed the recommendations and the problem went away immediately and has not reserficed with 8,427 miles. I do not ride my FJR hard- - -usually shifting at about 3000/3500 RPM and curseing at 4000 RPM (80 MPH) or below. Love the bike - - - good luck! Wes

Sticking clutch fixed!! What a nice change.

The dealer was great also. I explained the problem - the clutch does not disengage when down shifting for 1-3 seconds. also when first starting it shifted into first with a lurch.

I tried various things from the forum to fix it. After every oil change I thought it was better but not really.

The dealer said at first the clutch was a customer issue and not a warrantee issue. I asked that he call Yamaha and stressed many others had this problem and Yamaha has fixed it. He said there was no service letter on it. I asked politely and he did call and Yamaha said yes it was an issue with some clutches being built with "dry" plates.

He ordered the gasket - called me when it was in - It took just two days to get it back.

I'm thinking of removing the shift lever now because it shifts with only a thought. Really nice. Actually now it is as nice as the 05 I had.

While the dealers may not be aware of the issue, Yamaha is. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

I'm very disappointed with the overall clutch/transmission operation on my '06. I experienced the same when riding an '05 before I bought this one, but wrote it off as being particular to that bike. I've had two dealers ride imy '06 and check it out and they just say that they're all like that, and that that's just the way it is. Bottom line, my '05 Harley Sportster has a smoother clutch/transmission action than my '06 FJR, and I never thought I'd say that.
Hmmh. This is the first thing I've read that makes me glad I got the AE.

Me too, I was always glad I bought the AE. Maybe these guys should UPGRADE?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would shifting the same clutch pack with a solenoid change how the plates were installed? Maybe that lurching issue AE reviewers complained about in the beginning was due to sticky plates or something.

Mine has the same issue, dealer says to just "hold the clutch in" and rev it a few times. That helps the "lurch" but I was having a bit of issues of disengagement when upshifting. My warranty expires next month but they aren't budging on the "remove and soak" recommendation. But after the oil change things shift smoother but even with a warm gearbox I have to match RPMs or hold in the clutch in and pause momentarily before shifting. It's like it takes time to move out after it's pulled in.

I'll make sure when the clutches get replaced in the future that they're properly soaked.

I'm very disappointed with the overall clutch/transmission operation on my '06. I experienced the same when riding an '05 before I bought this one, but wrote it off as being particular to that bike. I've had two dealers ride imy '06 and check it out and they just say that they're all like that, and that that's just the way it is. Bottom line, my '05 Harley Sportster has a smoother clutch/transmission action than my '06 FJR, and I never thought I'd say that.
Hmmh. This is the first thing I've read that makes me glad I got the AE.

Me too, I was always glad I bought the AE. Maybe these guys should UPGRADE?