Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlreynolds75

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of an '06 JFR 1300 AE. Some of my other toys in the barn are a '12 Victory Vision Tour, and a WR250R. The FJR is the newest addition to my stable, and have already put about 700 miles in the last couple weeks. Loving it so far, and am starting to appreciate the auto clutch. I was hesitent at first, but am growing to love the function and smoothness of the system.

Attachments

• 20240428_232300.jpg
    20240428_232300.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240427_193107.jpg
    20240427_193107.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240427_193059.jpg
    20240427_193059.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Looks great. How many miles on it?

I see that the seat is in the lower position and the forks are up 3/4 inch or so in the triple clamp. Did it come that way or did you choose to do it to make it easier to flat foot? (Is the rear lowered as well using lowering dogbone links?) It appears that the sidestand is modified to accommodate the lowered bike.
With the lowered bike, be careful with the highway pegs - they will be easy to scrape on curvy roads. Centerstand will be harder to deploy as well unless it was also shortened.

Throttlemeister bar ends and highway pegs are nice, as is the aftermarket seat. (Sargent?)

Welcome from Canada's east coast.

Outstanding observations! It has 43,000 miles on it. But from what I'm finding that these will run 100xxx miles consistenly with normal maintenance. The previouse owner said the throttle body sinq had been performed last summer, but not sure about valve checks yet? I'm still figuring out what all has been done to it before. The suspension has been lowered with the lowering links in the back, along with a shorter kick stand. I can basically flatfoot the bike, which makes it very easy to balance. The center stand is a pain to use, but I've found if I drive up on a 2x4 board with the rear tire, I can then pull up on the center stand easily. With the lowered bike, I do find I'm often scraping the main pegs at times, and discovered that my boots will also drag during turns. I also have been scraping the center stand during turns when I have a passenger. I may consider putting the stock height back if it continues to restrict me that much. It does have the Hellbars bar risers installed, which gives it a very neutral feel. It has a sargent seat installed, which I'm still kind of on the fense about for comfort. I"m looking at mabe changing to something else. I have a Corbin seat on my Victory, which I love. It does have highway pegs installed, which have been surprisingly great so far. I find the placement is actually perfect for my short inseem, and I haven't had any scraping yet with them. I've been wrenching around the bike to familiarize myself with the bike, and still figuring things out. I replaced the headlight bulbs with a pair of LED lamps. This was a vast improvement for night riding. I had not had much luck in the past doing this on my other vehicles, but the LED bulbs I purchased seemed to focus quit well, and still project better than the stock halogens did. Time will tell on longevity of the bulbs. I think that about covers it for what I can think of for now.

Attachments

• 20240503_084737.jpg
    20240503_084737.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_233805.jpg
    20240428_233805.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240510_073948.jpg
    20240510_073948.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240510_074023.jpg
    20240510_074023.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • LED bulbs.pdf
    209.9 KB · Views: 0
Should easily be good for 100,000 miles if properly maintained. I got 186,000 miles out of my 2007 and it was still going strong when I sold it.
Bike is better at "normal" height but not always possible for someone with a shorter inseam. Throttle body sync isn't a big deal but you should do the valve clearance check if it hasn't been done. I haven't seen those particular LED headlights before. They appear to be nice and compact. Any trouble with installation? The older style with the fan on the back often requires minor trimming of the rubber headlight boot to get them installed.

Edit: Your sidestand will have to be modified (again) if you go back to stock height. Perhaps easier to find one on eBay.

Last edited:
The LED's were a direct fit. Aluminum structure, with no modifications needed. The metal retaining clip fit perfect with no modifications. The rubber boot fit perfectly over the house, I did apply some lubricant on the boot to help everything slide back together. I also re-aimed my headlight beams height. The overal focus seems to be good. It was a bit of a compromise with the adjustment between the low beam and high beam location. If I adjusted the low beam to perfect position, then the high beam was too high for my liking. So for now, I lowered the low beam a bit lower to accomidate. I cannot speak to longevity of the LED's and will only find out over time. The lamps do have a 5 year warranty, but I suppose that's only going to be good if they're still available in the future?

The LEDs should last a very long time. The usual cause of death for most H4 LED bulbs is overheating if the fan quits.
There are fanless ones out there but they are typically less bright. The price on those is less than premium halogen H4s so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of an '06 JFR 1300 AE. Some of my other toys in the barn are a '12 Victory Vision Tour, and a WR250R. The FJR is the newest addition to my stable, and have already put about 700 miles in the last couple weeks. Loving it so far, and am starting to appreciate the auto clutch. I was hesitent at first, but am growing to love the function and smoothness of the system.
Welcome from Langley CA. :)