New O6 Bugs Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
Lord. I'm covered in insect parts. Not used to that, on the Goldwing.

Picked the bike up at Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana this morning...what a wonderful bunch of people, professional, friendly, great price, I only had to wait about 6 weeks for the bike.

Rode almost 400 miles home. Initial impressions, from an old fart used to riding a Goldwing and a VFR.

There's no heat issue. The VFR used to cook my right leg. It got up to 92 in stop and go traffic as I hit Austin, and yes, I got hot, but no hotter than with any other bike.

I'm 5"11, 30-32" inseam, long-waisted. High or low seat position is fine for reaching the ground. I put it on the low. With the shield in the lowest position, wind noise is tolerable. Any position more than two inches above low all the way to high is intolerable. High is about one or two inches two low to put me in a quiet bubble. So I rode with it on low...tired me out, but frankly it's better than riding behind the monster GL1800 fairing for keeping cool on the road. I wear molded earphones. Also tried good quality foam earplugs, but the wind noise was too much...I have a severe hearing loss in one ear, and am very sensitized to any potential damaging noise.

Within 100 miles the bike began to loosen up, shifting was much smoother.

The little cubby never got very hot.

I averaged right at 40mpg on what amounted to a long, straightish slog on 2-lane roads, running 70-80 indicated.

Seat is VERY HARD. I hope it breaks in.

Grips are quite hard, too.

It's been a long time since I had an inline 4; I was surprised at the buzziness above about 6k, especially through the pegs,but since I won't be spending much time in that zone, I don't see it as a problem. The other thing I'd sort of forgotten about is the high center of gravity, but that's just acclimatizion.

Before I ordered the FJR I sat on a new ST1300 and then immediately sat on the FJR sitting next to it at the local dealership. The ST ergos were perfect for me, instantly. I read about the heat fix on the Yama, read about the adjustable bars, and took a shot. I put the bars on the far-back position...just right for me. So if the seat breaks in okay, it's the equal in comfort to the ST.

None of the above comments are gripes. The bike is a marvel.

First order of business is to put a couple hundred miles on it out in the curvy hill country west of Austin tomorrow, get used to the handling. Then install the Autocom (yay, the seat comes off easily, and there's room under there for the unit) and the Hepco/Becker rack and top box, and see how my wife likes it. She can go 600 miles riding pillion on the Wing and think nothing of it.

Once more: the dealership is the best part of this experience. I can't say enough good things about them.

I don't know much about the 06 as I have an 05 but I can confirm that your last statement about that dealership is accurate.

JWS

Both of you should add your personal comments on your experience to the YSS listing in the Dealer section...

Glad to hear the '06 is working out for you Mark... I too get covered in bugs, and am hoping maybe the Cal Sci windshield I have on order might help the situation somewhat. If not, I'll continue to keep a wetted microfiber cloth in a ziplock baggy in my front jacket pocket for de-gutzing my faceshield... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark, were you riding much after dark? I spent most of a month driving around Mexeco in my pickup a few years back. I always tried to get to my destination before nightfall but one time I didn't. No bug problems in the day but after dark it was really terrible. I will be riding my new FJR through Texarkan and then westward towards Amarillo on my way to Oregon in a couple weeks. I will only be driving during daylight hours. Hope the bugs aren't too bad. Of course I hear everything is bigger in Texas so maybe I should take that into account. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Mark, were you riding much after dark? I spent most of a month driving around Mexeco in my pickup a few years back. I always tried to get to my destination before nightfall but one time I didn't. No bug problems in the day but after dark it was really terrible. I will be riding my new FJR through Texarkan and then westward towards Amarillo on my way to Oregon in a couple weeks. I will only be driving during daylight hours. Hope the bugs aren't too bad. Of course I hear everything is bigger in Texas so maybe I should take that into account. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, it was all daylight. With the shield in the low position bugs get caught in the air stream and are pushed up and directly into your face shield. There's some very large bug in east Texas that has LOTS of yellow blood/guts.

Hello Mark,

Interesting review of the 06 FJR. You might be interested in a reverse review of the 06 GL1800. I picked one up in March and have about the same number of miles on it as you do on your FJR. I also have an '03 FJR which I purchased in '02. The FJR has been farkled and modded almost to the max and is a very good bike - maybe the best I have ever ridden. This said, I thought I would try something new.

The 'Wing is a thing of wonder. I'm quite surprised at the handling and power of this beast. It's a level 4 with the comfort (read: heat), GPS (Garmin basic) and ABS. Unlike the FJR, absolutely no front end dive when braking. Good mileage - but then you knew that. Fairly comfortable at first. Probably more so if one is a little guy. And no bugs hit the face shield. Oh yeah, tires last about 3 times as long from what I hear.

That's the upside. But I was battling heat (and won for the most part) with the 'old' '03. So yesterday I ride the 'Wing up to Rocky Mountain National Park and as it got warmer, I realized the rider area of the 'Wing gets pretty warm. No breeze to speak of and with a temperature in the 80's it got quite toasty. I wasn't surprised though. Also for such a big machine, the ergoes are quite cramped. Not so much at first, but after a while it becomes apparent, especially in the back. I did mount some highway pegs, which will help on a long haul run.

As far as the bugs in the face on the FJR, one has a choice, bugs or heat :) I don't know if the Laminar Lip will fit on the '06 model, but it sure makes a difference on my '03.

As far as comparing the two bikes, they are apples and oranges, but both are excellant machines. I'm just going to have to accustom my old body to the ergos on the 'Wing.

I think you are going to love your new FJR as I do mine.

Lord. I'm covered in insect parts. Not used to that, on the Goldwing.
Picked the bike up at Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana this morning...what a wonderful bunch of people, professional, friendly, great price, I only had to wait about 6 weeks for the bike.

Rode almost 400 miles home. Initial impressions, .....
I could have written the same without changing much.

I've got fewer miles but similar impressions.

The windscreen is a big disappointment - hard to understand why they would ship it with such a poor design.

The engine, handling and tranny are terrific.

Fit and finish top notch.

Probably have to replace the seat as well - something else that could have been done better.

Heat is not noticeable, but it's still cool here.

I'd say more, but I've got to go ride.

With the shield in the lowest position, wind noise is tolerable. Any position more than two inches above low all the way to high is intolerable. High is about one or two inches two low to put me in a quiet bubble.
Would guess this has alot to do with rider height, and helmet design, but I found just the opposite to be true. Windscreen down was very loud (and windy) Higher I went with the windsreen, the quieter and more "still" it became. I now ride most of the time with the sheild up..and although I am 5'9" with a 31 inseam..I agree the sheild should be 1-1/2 to 2 inches taller...but on my rides the sheild was lttered with bugs and not me.

The firmness of the seat feels fine to me, but I do not like the "non slip" texture. The sides of the seat have sharp edges that actualy left marks on my ass. The seat should be rounder there.

The adjustable handlebars are fairly useless to me, as they do not adjust where I would like them. This seems like a answer to a question no one asked...I would have sung praises of Yamaha if they had made the handlebars adjust UP AND DOWN instead....lol

Passenger comfort is reported to be just great, BTW..

KM

The adjustable handlebars are fairly useless to me, as they do not adjust where I would like them. This seems like a answer to a question no one asked...I would have sung praises of Yamaha if they had made the handlebars adjust UP AND DOWN instead....lol
I agree KM - I look forward to an aftermarket riser that lifts the grips (on the '06) up by maybe 2"

Wait. Hold on a sec. You found curves in Texas? ;)

Your experience models my own. I love this bike.

I did spring for a Corbin seat. A thousand miles on the bike and I placed the order without hesitation. I hate the stock seats. I put on another thousand waiting for the seat. This last thousaid (just clocked 3k) has been joy.

I sprung for the heated seats - that's an experience ;)

I always find it interesting how people can experience the same bike in so many different ways. Regarding the FJR:

• Some find the stock seat uncomfortable. I've found that after 10 minutes or so, it develops the perfect cup to hold my rear-parts. I have no desire to change it.
  • Some can't wait to change the windshield. I run with the stocker all the way down unless I get cold (Colorado, you know). With a full face helmet and ear plugs--which I too always wear to save the small amount of hearing that 29 years of flying jets left me--it's very comfortable.
  • Some like the bars as they are. I could use a little more up and back, but I have an old worn-out neck.
  • Some seem to be able to tolerate the small-diameter, hard-as-a-rock grips. Grip Puppies went on my bike immediately (which I highly recommend).
  • Some fault the suspension and fiddle with adjustments nonstop. For me, it works as it came from the factory. I flip the lever between hard and soft depending on whether I'm one- or two-up, but don't really know if it makes any difference.
The list could go on, but the point is that no bike is right for everyone; otherwise, there's only be one bike to choose from. The great part is that while we all seem to disagree on the small points, we all agree that the FJR is a great bike. Congratulations on your choice, and welcome to the zoo.
By the way, I forecast you'll love the FJR in the Hill Country.

Seat is VERY HARD. I hope it breaks in.

The other thing I'd sort of forgotten about is the high center of gravity, but that's just acclimatizion.

I thought the same as well. I purchased a Corbin (rider and passenger). While the Corbin "feels" harder than the stock seat, I will say that it is more comfortable. (1) It forms to your rear (it's "cupped") and (2) it sits you lower "in" the bike, unlike the stock seat wherein you feel like your sitting on top of the bike. The Corbin, for me, makes me feel like I'm a part of the bike.

The only drawback on the Corbin is while the overall seat height might be a touch lower than the factory low setting, the Corbin is wider. So for me, I'm about the same when it comes to my feet touching the ground - on the balls of my feet (I'm 5'7").

My husband has a Gold Wing and when we go on trips we switch bikes from time to time just for a break. I love the wing but when we come to the twisty roads, I want my bike back! Although the wing is a great bike I adore my FJR. Two completely different bike but both are wonderful. As for the seat..I preferred the stock seat on the '05.

A Cee Bailey 2" X 2" widshield with the slight flip at the top will resolve 90% of the bug problems. Try some sheepskin on the seat it seemed to help me, 400 mile days of back roads are not a problem. I came off an 05 BMW LT and it took a while, 5000 miles, to get use to this bike. I never thought it could replace my LT but I now have 10k on the FJR and the LT is gone. Some things it does not do better than the BMW but there are others that it excels on and that I my opinion was enough to choose the FJR for my main ride. RIDE SAFE

I forget to mention this but "grip puppies" are only like $10.00 and they will solve the hard grip issue and just slide over your existing grips. If you have the AE changing grips will not be a good option because of the heated grip that come standard. The grip puppies have work out just fine for me. RIDE SAFE

I believe a lot of preferences on seat/bar position derive from which bike we came off of (or which bike is our "other" bike). I have been riding a Honda CBR1000F, equipped with Heli-Bars for about ten years. Compared to an FJR, the CBR is on the Sport side of Sport-touring. A Goldwing is obviously firmly in the touring camp. I liked the riding position on the CBR and even put in a 1,000 mile day last year whin I was 63. I kept the stock bar placement on my '06 FJR and keep the seat in the lowest position. I ordered a Cee Bailey windscreen in a minus 3" configuration. This gives me some good airflow (needed most of the time in Southern Arizona), and a riding position that is more upright and relaxed than the CBR. I have yet to take the FJR on a long trip, but I suspect it will be more comfortable as the miles and my age increase. The CBR is more enjoyable in the "twisties", probably because of its more aggressive riding position.

Everything is a compromise. I ride with a full-face helmet, earplugs, and keep a can of plastic cleaner to remove bugs. If you want an open face helmet, no earplugs and a more upright riding position, then moving the bars back and/or up and a taller windscreen certainly makes sense (and a Goldwing makes even more sense). Some years back I went to a lot of trouble modifying the riding position on a ST1100 but never did get it just right.

To keep the pegs off the pavement and provide the rider with a relaxed rising position, the FJR's seat is too high for me - my only complaint. The CBR has a lower seat (I can flat-foot the CBR), but has a much more cramped (folded) leg position. Both bikes are great. We are sooo lucky to chose between excellent products.

Dick