new owner, first long ride impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
:yess: :yahoo: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :punk: :clapping:

Put 380 miles in on the saddle Saturday. Mostly back roads in the mountains with very spirited to mild aggressive riding ending up with an hour long 100ish MPH run up 75 on the way back.

Simply put...... amazing machine! Everything about the bike is what I hoped for and the YCCS is just incredible. Only negative is the 4500rpm bar buzz but thanks to my bike already having a Throttlemeister on it, it was an issue easy to deal with.

I could've easily hoped right back on and done another 400 no problem.

I'm soooooooo glad I purchased my '06 AE!

OH that liquid like application of power is so addictive, especially on such a sizeable and stable machine. What amazed me so much was that 100 mph was so easily reached, i simply changed the way I percieved speed. Ride safe and have fun!

Bob

OH that liquid like application of power is so addictive, especially on such a sizeable and stable machine. What amazed me so much was that 100 mph was so easily reached, i simply changed the way I percieved speed. Ride safe and have fun!
Bob
That's exactly what blew my mind on my first longer ride -- had to pass 12 or so Harley riders on a 2-lane highway, so I dropped down a gear and gunned it. By the time I was past them and moved back over I was going 110 mph. :rolleyes:

Took mine up to 145 on Sat. Was on a stretch of road you could see at least two miles ahead bike dead stable at that speed.

Bob
That's exactly what blew my mind on my first longer ride -- had to pass 12 or so Harley riders on a 2-lane highway, so I dropped down a gear and gunned it. By the time I was past them and moved back over I was going 110 mph. :rolleyes:

I do believe that it's mandatory to "pass 12 or so Harley riders" most every time your FJR spots such a group.

Spook,
was your 145 achieved with that top box on there? I find that my higher speed explorations are a little wiggly with my Givi V46 mounted.

Top box off this time. I did a 130 run with no wiggly with top box on but I am a very big guy as in 310 lbs.

I do believe that it's mandatory to "pass 12 or so Harley riders" most every time your FJR spots such a group.
Washington State law does allow you to exceed the speed limit during a passing maneuver on a 2-lane highway:

"Provided, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety."

There is no question in my mind that this law was solely created because of Harleys and to allow the rest of us to get to where we're going. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington State law does allow you to exceed the speed limit during a passing maneuver on a 2-lane highway:

"Provided, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety."

There is no question in my mind that this law was solely created because of Harleys and to allow the rest of us to get to where we're going. ;)
What a sensible law!

Absolutely illegal here in the UK. Used for topping up coffers from speed camera fines on the "wrong" side of the road as you overtake. (No, not me, but I do know of it happening.)

In any case, most of the HDs I see are parked while their owners lounge around trying to look like Easy Riders.

:poster_oops: It's not Friday, is it? Sorry.

Top box off this time. I did a 130 run with no wiggly with top box on but I am a very big guy as in 310 lbs.

Now thats what I like to see; more of us "normally" dimensioned guys.

......ending up with an hour long 100ish MPH run up 75 on the way back.
Sounds like you had a great time....my only question is why you weren't keeping up with traffic on 75N???? If you ever take to the streets heading in the direction of Nashville let me know...if we can we will hook up with you and do a little riding!

Enjoy the FJR. There's some great roads in N. Georgia. I know what you mean aout the Atlantans and their driving on I-75. Keep your eye on them because they usually aren't watching for you!