New owner looking for advice on windshield and other accessories for 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in Ohio

Reaction score
I just joined today and would like some advice as to the best after market windshield, and other suggested items to my bike. Just bought a 2008 FJR with ABS.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '05, but here are my first top farkles!

Rifle windscreen

Wild Bill highway pegs

Vista Cruise throttle lock

Garauld tail rack w/ removable backrest

and of course get some kind of slider or tip-over-guard right away! the plastic is way expensive!

Congrats on the new bike. I have a 2008 as well.

Here are my first mods in order of installation:

•  
  • Sliders - no cut Delrin sliders are the best. I purchased Skyway sliders but I believe they are no longer in business. Check out Motovation or R&G Racing sliders for quality options.
  • Tank protection - I have the Bagster tank cover. However, there are other (many cheaper) options out there. The Geelong Carbon Fiber option is very nice.
  • Horn w/relay- I replaced the stocker with FIAMM Dual Highway Blasters and added a relay. Magnum Blasters may be louder but they are also a little larger for a small mounting space.
  • Throttle lock (or cruise control) - I have the MADCo throttle lock. Much easier on the hands.
  • WynPro kickstand pad - Sold on this forum. Nice low cost addition.

I am still using the stock windshield. However, Rifle, V-Stream or Cee Bailey appear to be highly recommended by Forum members. Your results may vary based on the size of the screen and your physical dimensions.

Congrats on the new bike. I have a 2008 as well.

Here are my first mods in order of installation:

•  
  • Sliders - no cut Delrin sliders are the best. I purchased Skyway sliders but I believe they are no longer in business. Check out Motovation or R&G Racing sliders for quality options.
  • Tank protection - I have the Bagster tank cover. However, there are other (many cheaper) options out there. The Geelong Carbon Fiber option is very nice.
  • Horn w/relay- I replaced the stocker with FIAMM Dual Highway Blasters and added a relay. Magnum Blasters may be louder but they are also a little larger for a small mounting space.
  • Throttle lock (or cruise control) - I have the MADCo throttle lock. Much easier on the hands.
  • WynPro kickstand pad - Sold on this forum. Nice low cost addition.

I am still using the stock windshield. However, Rifle, V-Stream or Cee Bailey appear to be highly recommended by Forum members. Your results may vary based on the size of the screen and your physical dimensions.
Cali Sci mid size windshield, throttlemeister, sliders.

Bill

Let me begin with what didn't work: I bought the Yamaha tall windshield but took it off and put the original back on. The tall shield was indeed taller but it curves toward the rider so much that I felt no additional wind protection around the head and shoulders.

I love my MC Cruise Control, it's a fully electronic, car style, cc. It's expensive at ~$900 and requires advanced skills for installation.

I love my Yamaha heated grips.

I installed a Powerlet directly to the battery, I use it for my heated vest and my battery tender.

I have a Zumo 550 mounted on a TechMount on the triple clamp nut.

This is a preference question so you will get a lot of different ideas. I would start with a v-stream and see how that goes. There is one available on the forum for testing. Just pay shipping to you. Or find some one in your area that will let you try out their shield.

And of course, there's searching, using the following format in Google: windshields site:fjrforum.com

Watch the spacing, just as presented. Works on your choice of subjects.

Congrats on your FJR.

Saw your post and have to add...

I have had my 2007 FJR for 2 months. On a longer trip I was going up 81 south of Hagerstown MD with a some brutal turbulence, I decided that the votex shedding from the OEM screen was, for me, basically nasty. If I hunched down 2" it was significantly better. I'm 6' 2" so my head was well into the airflow with the OEM screen, so I looked into a new bigger screen. The forum was very helpful in assessing the body size vs screen choice.

I just installed a Rifle windshield +5 taller and +4 wider. Took it for a test ride last night with the Temperature at 32F. The airflow is better at all screen height settings. With the creen lowered the airflow is smoother and with the screen up I'm in a "warmer" bubble. I have installed the helibar triple clamps to adjust the sitting position. Still have the FJR slightly agressive lean forward but more comfortable. Did a more extended run (and faster) today with the temperature at 36F, phenominal difference, I'd have been a popsicle with the OEM screen. Should be cool in the summer as well.

Hope this helps, ride and see what you need to be able to wear the machine not ride it.

Enjoy

Peter

Hmmm.. Well, I'm going to reply to your windshield question because that is what you ask for. I've had two Cee Bailys and loved them. I have an 08, I'm 5'-7". I believe I ordered it 3" taller and 2" wider. If you are bigger than I am you can order them in quite a few different sizes to meet your needs. Also it is a quality product. They also make windshields and widows for aircraft.

GP

Congrats on your 08! I also have an 08 and have a Yamaha touring screen on mine and I'm 6'4". Works just fine for me. There's a lot of good windshields out there. It just depends on how picky you are and how much you want to pay. I also have bar risers, heated grips, and Throttlemeister.

If you decide to get a GPS, get one with bluetooth, SD card storage and MP3 capabilities. Good luck and welcome!

The Rifle has all the raving reviews and seems to be the clear choice, and is what I purchased, but have not received yet...I might also put a Power Commander on your wish list.

Mike-

I purchased my bike and it had a Eagle Screen. I am 6'1 and with the shield full up it would get a little rumbly around 70-75mph. After test riding another bike with a V-stream shield I was sold. Price is about $160 and with the shield in full upright it is rumble free at 100+. I highly recommend it. Plenty of wind when it is down too.