New Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisson

Reaction score
Hi,

I just picked up a 2006 FJR with 18k on the clock this weekend. I am very excited about the bike and cant wait to get out there and test it out.

So far I have only ridden it 10 miles and below are my initial impressions. I think it is important to note that my my most recent bikes have been a KTM 950adv, BMW 1200gs, KTM690, Aprilia Tuono, Suzuki DR650.... I have only owned one other inline 4 and that was a track bike only. So this is quite a change for me.

My initial impressions from riding it 10miles is that it has plently of power! Not the torque of a V Twin - but smoother, linear and FAST. The bike is extremely stable and offers great protection. The bike is comfortable and everything is where it should be.

What I need to look further into is this abrupt initial throttle response.(I read the G2 throttle tube should help.) Also need to go through and make sure the suspension is set properly. Seemed a little soft mid corner...

The bike takes a little more work in slow speed transitions. - I know it is relative but the heaviest bike I have ever owned is the BMW and that was barely 450lbs. So at 600+ I notice the weight. (I dont mind it - just notice it)

Right now I am happy with the purchase just need to get some miles on it to see how it does on the long hauls. (That is why I bought it!) I will repost a detailed report by Sunday...

Look forward to joining the community.

Congrats on your new ride, I have the G2 throttle tube and Power Comander with a new map and it helped the jerky throttle, lots of great info on this site.

Congrats on your new ride!!! Here's a link that shows step by step on how to unwind the throttle return spring. Some unwind it 2 turns but 1 turn worked fine for me with the G2 throttle tube added and a cramp buster. While some don't remove the rear tank mounting bolt I found it easier to move the tank back out of the way. Of course with such a large tank run it until it starts the reserve count down and it's an easy job.

Clicky

Oh and here's a great article on suspension settings.

Clicky#2

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on getting the fastest color! The G2 tube made a huge difference. I never unwound the spring and after 30K miles it loosened up or my right hand got stronger but I don't worry. When I have the farkle money, a member convinced me a Power Commander is in my future.

If it doesn't have them, GET SLIDERS ON IT... seriously, it is highly likely you will drop it like most on the forum.

All your observations appear spot-on with comments over the years here. You may want to run the VIN through a Yamaha dealer computer system to make sure all the recalls have been done. When you have a chance take a peak at the grounding connectors for corrosion to get some preventative maintenance in.

Best of luck with your new girl. Got a name for her yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up my new 09 on the 28th and as of yesterday have just over 100 miles on it. This is by far the biggest, heaviest and most powerful bike I have owned. In the past I have had a YZF 650 and then moved to dirt and DS rides with my 08 KLR650 which was too heavy for the trail riding I like to do. Moving the bike around in the garage is a little scary especially with a full tank of fuel. I'm still trying to adjust my riding style and think it will take a good couple hundred miles and a few longer trips to get it figured out. I'll most likely be replacing the seat to get something with a backrest for 2 up riding when I take the wife out. Other than that just getting to know the new girl and trying not to step on her feet.

I got my 07' in January. It came nicely farkled and already had the power commander so I don't know what is was like before, but I love it the way it is set up. At first I thought the stock seat was going to be too hard, but after almost 10,000 miles it has broken in nicely and is just fine.

Enjoy your new bike!!!

...What I need to look further into is this abrupt initial throttle response.(I read the G2 throttle tube should help.) Also need to go through and make sure the suspension is set properly. Seemed a little soft mid corner...

The bike takes a little more work in slow speed transitions. - I know it is relative but the heaviest bike I have ever owned is the BMW and that was barely 450lbs. So at 600+ I notice the weight. (I dont mind it - just notice it)

The FJR is a great bike, I think you'll enjoy riding it. I installed a G2 on my 06, and it helped, but I also increased the idle speed up to about 1200-1300 and I think the combination of both those changes helped quite a bit.

The FJR carries a lot of weight on the front end, which can be good and not so good. If you use much "trailing throttle" on corner entrance you'll find it scallops front tires within the first 3,000 miles or so. I've found it best to keep the front tire pressure up at 40psi cold or so, and try to stay on the throttle a bit through the corner even if it means slowing slightly for the entrances.

That aside, I think you'll find the FJR is really an enjoyable bike to spend time on.

WWWobble

Update:

After 300 more miles she is really starting to grow on me! I was disappointed at first but I think that was because I was expecting it to be something it is not.

The bike is effortless to drive and has great handling characteristics. I did 200 miles on it yesterday and barely realized it. The power is amazing - never had anything so quick and so smooth. (I was doing triple digits along the highway and didnt even realize it.)

I ordered my throttle cam this weekend. The bike came with a CeeBailey screen that was not working for me. I found the stocker to be much better. Other than that I just plan on riding it.

Looking forward to some sport touring - see you all on the road.