New Owners change your oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac

Reaction score
I picked up my 06 today and rode 50 miles through some nice roads on the way home. I changed the oil as soon as I got home and I am glad I did. It was gray in color and loaded with very fine metal particles. I am planning on changing it again in another couple hundred miles after seeing the condition of the oil. For those new owners out there, do not wait for 600 miles. I needed a breaker bar to loosen the drain plug and a pipe wrench to loosen the filter. I guess torque specs are optional at the factory.

By the way, the bike handles very well and is very comfortable. It fits me perfect the way it is.

When Frank was new, I changed at 20, 150, and 500. Less innards dust each time. Don't forget to do the final drive at the same time. ;)

Picking up my 06 tomorrow. I figure I should pick up the materials for the first change at that time. What materials should I request? I see the crush washer on the oil drain bolt. Is there also one on the final drive?

Don

Yes.

They are reusable but the consensus here is change them every time. They're cheap, too, so grab a dozen or so, if you plan on keeping the bike for a while.

Get a couple extra OEM oil filters, also.

No recommendation on engine or final drive oils. See Pointless and Recurring for this ;) .

Friends,Just took delivery of my 06A a couple weeks ago.When I picked it up,I also got some Yamalube & a

filter.Previously I had purchased some drain plug washers & had also bought a drain plug that has a magnet

in the middle of it-it is a OEM part.I had intended to use it for the final drive ,when I change the lube.BUT

when I pulled the plug on the engine I was surprised to find the it did NOT have a magnet in it.So I used the one that was intended for the final drive,for the engine.Ill get another for the rear,which probably does'nt

have one.It may be a small thing but I had it -might as well use it. Sliick2

There are actually three crush washers, one for oil drain plug, one for final drive drain plug, and one for final drive fill plug. All three are the same size and interchangeable.

My 05 pumpkin drain plug does have a magnet, oil plug does not. Pumpkin filler plug has a crush washer?! Mine doesn't, maybe it did but not anymore.

Friends,Just took delivery of my 06A a couple weeks ago.When I picked it up,I also got some Yamalube & afilter.Previously I had purchased some drain plug washers & had also bought a drain plug that has a magnet

in the middle of it-it is a OEM part.I had intended to use it for the final drive ,when I change the lube.BUT

when I pulled the plug on the engine I was surprised to find the it did NOT have a magnet in it.So I used the one that was intended for the final drive,for the engine.Ill get another for the rear,which probably does'nt

have one.It may be a small thing but I had it -might as well use it. Sliick2
It does have a magnet, and that plug is interchangeable with the engine drain plug, which is what I did.

Great idea Rad, I just changed both fluids, I'll see if I can hold the bike upside down and switch the drain plugs....I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Yeah, change out that oil so the engine is in perfect condition after you wreck the bike anyway. LOL.

But, seriously, folks... how do you know that there isn't something special about the factory oil that Yamaha intends to have it in the engine awhile to assure proper seating of the internal parts?

Cripes, I have engines that have been worked hard for as much as fifty years... engines that did not even have the benefit of detergent oil for the first twenty years of their use... engines that have factory new compression to this day... and I'm supposed to change out the oil three times in the first 600 miles? Why is that? Can't Yamaha build an engine right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just call Gary at University Motors and order up the final drive plug. Best prices, best service, a boon to the FJR community since it's inception.

Yeah, change out that oil so the engine is in perfect condition after you wreck the bike anyway. LOL.
But, seriously, folks... how do you know that there isn't something special about the factory oil that Yamaha intends to have it in the engine awhile to assure proper seating of the internal parts?

Cripes, I have engines that have been worked hard for as much as fifty years... engines that did not even have the benefit of detergent oil for the first twenty years of their use... engines that have factory new compression to this day... and I'm supposed to change out the oil three times in the first 600 miles? Why is that? Can't Yamaha build an engine right?
You can change it my way, or can leave it in till it's asphalt. No one gives a shit. :glare: If you don't understand why it's a good idea to get break in splooge out of your new toys motor, no one here will be able to explain it.

:poster_stupid:

You can change it my way, or can leave it in till it's asphalt. No one gives a shit. glare.gif If you don't understand why it's a good idea to get break in splooge out of your new toys motor, no one here will be able to explain it.
LOL. But, let's hear your insightful explanation.... "my way or the highway" really doesn't shed much light on anything.