New owner's first impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolton

Reaction score
Just bought an '06 FJR last night and the first ride was today. I bought this bike (6,600 pampered miles on the clock) so that my girlfriend and I could tour two-up. I also own an '04 naked Suzuki SV650 which has many performance modifications. I know that you can't compare the two bikes but one can't help noticing a difference if that's the only reference point you have. One things for certain, these two bikes are outstanding in their own fields.

First of all, I rode with my girlfriend on the back as I would prefer to become familiar with the bike under the conditions which it will be used most.

-I found the gear box to be alarmingly noisy when changing gears. Could be that my technique needs improving. The SV shifting is utterly silent by comparison.

-I had expected to be surrounded by calmer air at speed, instead I was buffeted quite a bit. I played with the windshield a fair bit and it's calmer in the full up position of course. Not that I mind a windy ride, being that I'm used to the SV, I consider that part of the whole motocycling experience.

-I found the clutch to be very stiff. I had thought that a hydraulic clutch would have been much easier to pull and hold in.

-The trottle is very stiff also but I had read that prior to riding

-The engine is more like a jet turbine than anything else, very impressive! I don't think I've found the sweet spot yet. The SV likes to be run at 5000 to 7000 rpm. I was spinning the FJR at 3500 to 4000 most of the time.

-The bike feels very smooth and balanced, even at lower speeds. Very nice.

-I found I was going much faster than I had thought most of the time.

-The throttle doesn't seem to like being blipped like I'm used to with my SV. It sort of stutters and actually died out on my a couple of times doing that. Seems smoother throttle action is the ticket.

-I'm used to the SV being very touchy at on/off throttle transitions and the FJR is the same.

Overall I am very pleased and thought I would share my first impressions with the group. Any comments or advice is welcomed.

If your blipping during downshifts I've found you need to let the clutch out sooner than on a rocket. Maybe due to a slower reving engine? Took me a little practice, now I hit it almost every time. Good Luck!

Agree with all your observasions...I too thought the the gearbox was a bit clunky, but in time I learned to adjust my timing a bit and now the shifts are quiet and flawless. Clutch did not seem that stiff to me, and after some time that too should feel more natural (as your hand gets that exercise...)

It's hard going from one bike to another as each has their own little quirks. Once you get the shifts going well on the FJR your only problem will be remembering how if you spend alot of time on the SV.

I decided one bike was enough for me , so I won't have that problem...(sadly)

KM

Welcome to the Board!

I would say invest in some simple mods like a taller srceen. There are alot out there from the OEM tall screen to a host of after market suppliers.

Then I would say the G2 throttle tube to help with the on/off touchy throttle and consider releasing the throttle spring by one revolution. Also consider a throttle lock, throttlemiester, vista cruise, etc. are some of the popular ones.

Just these things should address the concerns you have mentioned.

Good Luck with the new/used bike!!!!!

I'm glad to see there are others that share the same thoughts as me. I'm finding it very difficult to part with my FZ1, it's just so much more fun to ride. But I don't have enough time for 1 bike let alone 2 :huh:

Welcome,

I acquired my 07 mid summer and it took a little getting used to. Traded a Suzuki DL650 for the FJR. The Suzi was just plain fun but I like long trips on weekends and the Feejer is much more stable at high speeds. Clutching took the most getting used to. The technique I use is a quick pull to disengage the clutch followed by a slower smooth reengagement. Results in smooth shifts. Once I got used to it, it turned out to be an awsome machine. Hope your experience is as good as mine.

If your blipping during downshifts I've found you need to let the clutch out sooner than on a rocket. Maybe due to a slower reving engine? Took me a little practice, now I hit it almost every time. Good Luck!
I'm not blipping during downshifts. My SV has a full Yoshimura racing exhaust system and when I blip it at a red light or similar it sounds amazing. I was doing that with the FJR (just out of habit I suppose). Just a quick and slight flip of the wrist whilst at a standstill. The FJR seemed to hic up when I did that as if it were too abrupt for the engine to respond. If I did it a little slower and smoother then the engine responded to the input just fine. And it too sounded amazing, in a different way.

I found that the shifts were quieter after I changed the oil. I bought the taller wind screen for the same reason you mentioned. YOu are going to love this bike for many years to come.

-I found the clutch to be very stiff. I had thought that a hydraulic clutch would have been much easier to pull and hold in.-The bike feels very smooth and balanced, even at lower speeds. Very nice.

-I found I was going much faster than I had thought most of the time.

Overall I am very pleased and thought I would share my first impressions with the group. Any comments or advice is welcomed.
Definitely agree with those comments. It took me a little while to transition from a different style of bike but was well worth it when I got more familiar with the FJR.

Absolutely MUST watch the speed unless you're looking for a performance award. It will sneak up on you very quickly and quietly.

The clutch will build up the muscles in your left hand after a while. I'm used to mine now and its no big deal but when I got my Ninja I was just amazed at how easy that was in comparison.

You're going to have soooooo much fun with this bike.

Jill

I have an '05 FJR and '04 SV-650s and you are correct - the FJR trans is downright clunky compared to the SV but thats mostly the difference in shaft vs chain drive.

The stock windscreen on an FJR is too short and too narrow so it does buffet the rider. I use a Cee Baily +2+2 with flip to provide much better air flow.

Comparing the FJR in-line four cyl to the SV v-twin is truly apple to orange comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not blipping during downshifts. My SV has a full Yoshimura racing exhaust system and when I blip it at a red light or similar it sounds amazing. I was doing that with the FJR (just out of habit I suppose). Just a quick and slight flip of the wrist whilst at a standstill. The FJR seemed to hic up when I did that as if it were too abrupt for the engine to respond. If I did it a little slower and smoother then the engine responded to the input just fine. And it too sounded amazing, in a different way.
The FJR seems resistant to this habit. For some reason, the combination of engine mass, vs. cam timing vs. injector/ECU lag or whatever, the FJR engine reacts badly to little "blips" of the throttle. Longer duration or a bit higher rev "blips" seem to be okay, but not small "off idle".

I suppose you're going to have to break that habit.

Zolton, congradulations on your purchase.

You are going to find that the one size fits all product that Yamaha has tried to make is very close to perfect in that regard, in that they have tried to make the FJR for all types. Obviously making the perfect bike for everybody is impossible.

If you are looking for what I think is the perfect bike, you have got the right platform now and you are on the right track to having YOUR pefect bike. Study the recommended mods that others here are making and try and see what you think will be good for you.

As an example I bought and sold 5 different windshields before I found the "one" to have. What is one guys perfect windshield will not work for you, same could be said for seats, bar risers, tires, women, etc.

You have a great bike, you are just a few tweaks away from making it an incredible bike!

GoodLuck!

I have an '05 FJR and '04 SV-650s and you are correct - the FJR trans is downright clunky compared to the SV but thats mostly the difference in shaft vs chain drive.
Comparing the FJR in-line four cyl to the SV v-twin is truly apple to orange comparison.
I agree. These engines are similar in so much as they are both outstanding. That's where the similarities end.

The bike is great, your Avatar is better! PMSL. :lol: :lol:

Re the blip-stutter-cough......check out this thread...CLICKY Bottom of page 2 for the conclusion.