New Pelican Case and Revised Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated my Pelican case to a 1550 and mounting bracket to a stud arrangement this year and documented the results. Check out my blog for details including pictures....yellow case naturally.

I'm not letting local snow stop me from starting up the Dam Tour and Big Money Rally Thursday. ;)

Nice detailed blog write up. You went through great lengths to get your frame fixed (which def. had to be done) and do this new mounting plate.

What do you specifically use this top case for? How much weight do you have in there? Have you considered using the Givi rack for your support base to this top case?

What do you specifically use this top case for? How much weight do you have in there? Have you considered using the Givi rack for your support base to this top case?
Laptop, camera, batteries, power cords, and other miscellaneous gadgets and goodies one needs in while doing things like the Iron Butt Rally. I haven't weighed it specifically, but having done nearly 150,000+ miles with it.......more than a little, but less than a lot.

I did consider a Givi, but it's compatible with the fuel cell I have.

Nice Iggy!

Why not get some Stainless Button Head Allen screws and bolt from the top?

Imagine it's 2 a.m. near Cheektowaga, New York....you've ridden 1500 miles in the last 24 hours and parked five yards from a very inviting bed at a cheap motel......it's raining.....and you really don't want to leave the contents of the Pelican case on your bike. Would you want to fumble with finding an allen head wrench to take off the case or get 5 minutes of extra sleep? Winguts and studs make removal and install easier without need tools. I'm even thinking of glueing the washers in place to reduce mount time a bit further.

yellow case naturally.
Better put the reflective stuff on it quick. No one is going to see that dull yellow :rolleyes:

I'm going to steal your idea on the wing nuts for my enduro tail bag. Nice set up.
Matt,

I have the perfect solution to high vis/color matching for you.

I have had them on my bike for 2+ years. Good for pading the side cases also.

Scroll down on this link for a shot of my bike:

https://www.gregrice.com/bbgweekend/BBGWeekend.html

I elected bi-color for a "What the heck is that" effect at night.

Imagine it's 2 a.m. near Cheektowaga, New York....you've ridden 1500 miles in the last 24 hours and parked five yards from a very inviting bed at a cheap motel......it's raining.....and you really don't want to leave the contents of the Pelican case on your bike. Would you want to fumble with finding an allen head wrench to take off the case or get 5 minutes of extra sleep? Winguts and studs make removal and install easier without need tools. I'm even thinking of glueing the washers in place to reduce mount time a bit further.
Opps, forgot your a Iron man!

I updated my Pelican case to a 1550 and mounting bracket to a stud arrangement this year and documented the results. Check out my blog for details including pictures....yellow case naturally.

I'm not letting local snow stop me from starting up the Dam Tour and Big Money Rally Thursday. ;)
Looks great!

I've been leaning towards the same Pelican case. Well probably not yellow. I had just read your blog details regarding the subframe repairs. Isn't the weight of the Pelican alone enough to require beefing up the subframe. You can't really do one without the other?

Isn't the weight of the Pelican alone enough to require beefing up the subframe. You can't really do one without the other?
No, not really. I mean it may be over for what Yamaha covers their butts about in the documentation, but the stock subframe (which this particular bike actually still has) will carry lots of load if you spread it over the area correctly. It's a load that is a large moment arm and fatigues the metal that I would be most worried about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was thinking that the >10 lb empty case would be excessive for the stock plastic rack to support too. If there was a way to replace the stock passenger handles with some steel struts, like the GIVI mounting rack does, that might help keep the subframe from breaking. Of course, sliding the whole affair towards the rider would also remove a lot of the moment arm you speak of and reduce the strain on the subframe too.

As for the mounting bolts, why not use the pan head screws from the top as suggested and install a soft-bag liner inside the case to hold your precious goodies. When you hit the hostel at 0' dark-thirty you grab the liner bag and run.

If there was a way to replace the stock passenger handles with some steel struts, like the GIVI mounting rack does, that might help keep the subframe from breaking. Of course, sliding the whole affair towards the rider would also remove a lot of the moment arm you speak of and reduce the strain on the subframe too.

As for the mounting bolts, why not use the pan head screws from the top as suggested and install a soft-bag liner inside the case to hold your precious goodies. When you hit the hostel at 0' dark-thirty you grab the liner bag and run.
I'm not worried about the subframe.

Remember that the subframe cracked because I DIDN'T use the existing rack and had an excessive moment arm force.....not because of a load on the rack. Nor is the rack at risk of breaking because I went from a 1520 to a 1550. I'll be monitoring with the new rig certainly, but I'm confident it will perform well.

No soft-bag liner because....they don't make one! Nor do I want to commission an expensive custom bag. I'll spend that money on another set of lights or something.

Besides, I occasionally want to take whole whole box off quickly too. And that works because I now have this very easy-to-remove Pelican case with cheap studs and simple wingnuts!

Maybe I should put the box in a big canvas bag and then bungee it on the back of the bike.....that'll come off even more quickly than a liner, studs, or screw fasteners. :rolleyes:

Looks great. Wing nuts are pretty good, but they are sharp and point. Have you looked at Dzus fasteners? Or the little quarter turn fold down do-hickeys? Just another idea. Keep you from having to unscrew four wing-nuts. Too bad there isnt some way we could pull two or four pins from the OUTSIDE. That way you wont have to dig thru the gear in the dark and the rain to get to the buried wing nuts. By the bye....are you keeping your smaller pelican? I would be interested in it for my computer and such on the back of my FJR..... :D P.S. you may get more snow than you bargained for. We are forecast 6-10" tomorrow. Hopefully the passes wont get hammered.

Looks great. Wing nuts are pretty good, but they are sharp and point. Have you looked at Dzus fasteners? Or the little quarter turn fold down do-hickeys? Just another idea. Keep you from having to unscrew four wing-nuts. Too bad there isnt some way we could pull two or four pins from the OUTSIDE. That way you wont have to dig thru the gear in the dark and the rain to get to the buried wing nuts.
I did think about a pin and cotter type arrangement, but didn't want vibration nor was bottom access that easy. Fishing inside will likely remain slightly easier.

Dzus! I was looking for those kinds of specialty fasteners, but couldn't think of the name or how to describe their function in Google. Yes, the spring-loaded plungers or quarter turn things might be even better! :clapping:

Thanks.

And, yes, I'm gonna keep the old Pelican for other things.

For people looking for an inexpensive pelican-like case, also available in Iggy yellow as well (as other colors), the Seahorse SE 720 case is a slightly lighter knock off of the Pelican 1520, and can be bought for $45 here. I have a pair of those boxes on my V-strom as the everyday saddlebags.

100_3097.jpg

Unfortunately, they do not make any slightly larger case equivalent to Matt's new Pelican 1550.

PS - Matt, the side racks on that 'strom are made by SW-Motech and are held on by some really stout dzus type, quarter turn fasteners. They have a large flat head screw for the moving part, and the other half is captive on the bike frame. Those might be a replaceable item, which could be a source for the fasteners if you want to go that route.

BTW, I wasn't thinking a custom bag inside your box, just some sort of off-the-shelf inner bag to hold your goods. Which still might make it easier to get at whatever fasteners you use inside.

Maybe I should put the box in a big canvas bag and then bungee it on the back of the bike.....that'll come off even more quickly than a liner, studs, or screw fasteners. :rolleyes:
I saw a local "good ole boy" yesterday morning on my way to work. He was riding and old Honda 750 with a milk crate bungeed to his rear fender. Seemed to work just fine! :lol:

A little trick on wingnuts, is to double them. Use the first upside down,hand tighten till it digs in a bit,then top off with one wings up as a locknut.