new saddle help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spencer seat mod, at about $75, is great for those on a tight budget: https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I went to this link but the e-mail listed does not work. Error report the server does not find this address.

So I called and left a message...no reply.

I would love to have Spencer do my seat,but?

Does anybody know what's going on?

The Spencer seat mod, at about $75, is great for those on a tight budget: https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I went to this link but the e-mail listed does not work. Error report the server does not find this address.

The URL worked for me?!?!?!? And, he did my seat and it is much better than stock.

The URL worked for me?!?!?!? And, he did my seat and it is much better than stock.

I had memory foam installed in my stock seat,fixed any issue's i had with my seat at half the price of a new seat. a little over pricing if you as me but save me money and got the job done. the nice thing was the guy said if i was not comfortable bring it back and he could adjust it till my butt was happy. the only draw back i have seen is when it's cold the foam is hard as a rock till your body heats it up and it will form to your body. that's the nice thing about the foam it conforms to you and it is not a one fit's all

Lord.......the Russell seat is $600.00 for the rider alone........... I will flip a coin maybe. Like Bounce said...why screw around.....spend the money up front and buyt the "best" the Russell seats get a lot of fanfare and good remarks...nothing negative that I've seen.
First of all, if you send just the rider seat, the Russell is $395 for vinyl or $445 with a leather seating surface - it's the S-1 code. If you have both the rider and pillion seat recovered, but just the rider seat customized, it's a "solo" S-3 and it's $480 vinyl, $545 leather.

The vinyl is fine and very durable, the leather is very, very nice.

I've had three Russells, two Rick Mayers, a Sargent, a couple of Corbins and a bunch of stock saddles. As Bounce said, you can spend a lot of money trying to avoid spending money on a Russell, but once you've had a Russell that really fits you, you're spoiled for anything else.

Bite the bullet and buy the Russell - there's a good reason for all of the positive feedback on them. I say that being a little peeved at Russell currently, because I tried to set up a group buy with them this winter and they kept saying "call us next month", until I called them one month and they said, "Group buy? - that was LAST month...". Their organizational skills leave something to be desired, but their saddles are the best.

Lord.......the Russell seat is $600.00 for the rider alone........... I will flip a coin maybe. Like Bounce said...why screw around.....spend the money up front and buyt the "best" the Russell seats get a lot of fanfare and good remarks...nothing negative that I've seen.
First of all, if you send just the rider seat, the Russell is $395 for vinyl or $445 with a leather seating surface - it's the S-1 code. If you have both the rider and pillion seat recovered, but just the rider seat customized, it's a "solo" S-3 and it's $480 vinyl, $545 leather.

The vinyl is fine and very durable, the leather is very, very nice.

I've had three Russells, two Rick Mayers, a Sargent, a couple of Corbins and a bunch of stock saddles. As Bounce said, you can spend a lot of money trying to avoid spending money on a Russell, but once you've had a Russell that really fits you, you're spoiled for anything else.

Bite the bullet and buy the Russell - there's a good reason for all of the positive feedback on them. I say that being a little peeved at Russell currently, because I tried to set up a group buy with them this winter and they kept saying "call us next month", until I called them one month and they said, "Group buy? - that was LAST month...". Their organizational skills leave something to be desired, but their saddles are the best.
Will the Russell Day Long work for a short 30" inseam guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. I don't have one on my FJR (yet) but I'm a 32" inseam and had one on a BMW R1150GS Adventure, which is a monstrously tall bike and it worked. Because they're wider than the stock saddle, Russells generally make the bike a little taller, but in building your saddle, they can also adjust the width of the saddle forward of the 'wings' to allow you to get your feet on the ground securely. They are a true custom builder and will work with you until the saddle works for you.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. I don't have one on my FJR (yet) but I'm a 32" inseam and had one on a BMW R1150GS Adventure, which is a monstrously tall bike and it worked. Because they're wider than the stock saddle, Russells generally make the bike a little taller, but in building your saddle, they can also adjust the width of the saddle forward of the 'wings' to allow you to get your feet on the ground securely. They are a true custom builder and will work with you until the saddle works for you.
Thanks Pete, I appreciate the information.