New seat better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camdenlake

Reaction score
So i am looking to get back to FJRdom. I am aiming for 2009 +. I had a 2005. I had upgraded it to a russel seat if i recall. I have been told by a few "sales" people that i may not dislike the newer seats as much. What say you all?

New seat better???

Thanks again.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Negotiate hard on the price so you have money left over to buy the Russell again. Clear enough?

Joe

So i am looking to get back to FJRdom. I am aiming for 2009 +. I had a 2005. I had upgraded it to a russel seat if i recall. I have been told by a few "sales" people that i may not dislike the newer seats as much. What say you all?

New seat better???

Thanks again.

Josh

I found the GENII seat to be much better than GENI...but only you can be the final judge!! ;)

We upgraded to the comfort seat when the SO began riding as pillion, that was much better than stock.

--G

Every one is different.

In my case I coulden't wait to get rid of the POS stock seats on my "08. <_<

I would suggest however that you try out the stock seat and decide for yourself.

I thought the stock seat on my '07 was fine. Afterall, I was good for 500-600 miles/day. Until I swapped out for a Corbin. Wish I had done it 4 yrs ago <_< .

I have a Sargent I love. The Russell's and some others have those "wings" that stick out and I've heard it makes it difficult to slide off the seat in the twisties BUT everyone says they're really comfortable.

I have a Sargent I love. The Russell's and some others have those "wings" that stick out and I've heard it makes it difficult to slide off the seat in the twisties BUT everyone says they're really comfortable.
I just got my Russells so I'll find out!

I decided on getting a diffrent seat on the way home from picking up my bike at the dealer.

However, as mentioned, butts are diffrent, so put some miles in the stock before you decide. I found the sharply angled edgheld the stock seat to feel like it was trying to cut my legs off. Picked up a Corbin and life us good again.

Yep, only your azz can be the judge. For me, the stock seat was downright painful...there was alot of pressure on my tailbone. I've had a Corbin Saddle for a right number of years now. Its a firm seat, but it fits my bum like a glove.

Yep, only your azz can be the judge. For me, the stock seat was downright painful...there was alot of pressure on my tailbone. I've had a Corbin Saddle for a right number of years now. Its a firm seat, but it fits my bum like a glove.
I was concerned about the Corbin when I put it on b/c it is such a firm saddle. I've got about 6k miles in it now and hardness be damned, for me it's way more comfortable than the stock seat.

I have and 09 and my butt was in pain at 150 miles. I have a Russell and love it. Would buy it again. M wife loves it too. We can go for 2 hours or more and are both happy. It is more challenging to move around on a Russell in the twisties due to the wings but that is what helps distribute the load to alleviate pressure points. I don't mind giving up a bit body English and in fact have got rather good moving around on the Russell.

I bought a Corbin seat on Ebay and life is a lot better. I imagine a Russell could be even better, but unless you are doing lot's of distance, Corbin or Sargent could work for you very well.

The stock seat was growing teeth after an hour. Got an Alaska sheepskin gel pad and it didn't help much-added a half hour before pain. My dealer gave me a great price on the gel comfort seat and now my back is the limiting factor. Jeff

I was concerned about the Corbin when I put it on b/c it is such a firm saddle. I've got about 6k miles in it now and hardness be damned, for me it's way more comfortable than the stock seat.
+1 on the Corbin, wife and I just completed a 5 day, 2,300 mile trip on them with no problems. Previously, my wife was only good for about 175 miles on the stock seat and she was screaming in agony!