New shorts needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebullet

Towing the Short Bus
Reaction score
I was just riding home from work, yes it was 62 deg. F in Indianapolis today and still 46 at midnight, and I caught a light sprinkle on one of the back roads I live on. I was just leaving a "T" intersection and accelerating in 2nd when the back end of the bike moved to the right about 4ft. I chopped the throttle and it brought the back way to the left and then right and back again several times. I almost lost hold of the front end it was whipping so hard. Finally it got itself right and I rode real slow for a bit thinking how I had almost dumped the bike at midnight on a very lonesome backroad and nobody would have found me for hours. I thought these pilot roads were supposed to be pretty good in the wet but now I don't trust them too much. Still the front end did hang on during all the whipping around. I'm going to burn these tires up going to EOM and back then I'll get something different. Ok my heartbeat is back to normal I'm turning in for the night.

It's not your tires. The FJR throws down some pretty good torque. You need to be smooth in the wet weather. I'm not saying you weren't I'm just tossing it out there.

-r

+1

The pilots are one of the best tires in the rain. But the FJR puts out 100Nm torque at 300rpm. That's more than most bikes do at max torque.

When it first starts to rain, thats when it is the most slippery. The rain brings out the grease and oil in the pavement.
+1. 126 RWHP+Sport Tread Tires+Nightime+Jim Nabors=DeathRun2006

It's not your tires. The FJR throws down some pretty good torque. You need to be smooth in the wet weather. I'm not saying you weren't I'm just tossing it out there.
-r
+1

As you said, it was a light rain and the accumulations of road spooge weren't washed away yet. As was also noted, the FJR has mondo torque. Those 2 things combine to make "early wet" something to respect no matter what tires you spoon on.

I dunno. The 3 of us involved with the "Powerslide" thread each have different tires on our bikes. Nobody had less or more problem than another rider.

It's easy to lean the FJR over and shift gears, unleashing mondo-torque. I've had Avons and 020s sidestep. But, if you're uncomfortable with the tires, use'm up and change'm. What'll you do when it happens with the new tires?

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with the torque thing and this particular piece of pavement is not asphalt but what we call tar and chip (basically spray oil and throw pea gravel in it). Only the place where I was is more tar and less chip, wet it looked like blackice in the highbeams. As for the first rain thing, I don't think so because it has been raining here for days. There hasen't been time for buildup to make the slick mix. This kind of pavement tends to lend to a permenant oil water mix in the rain though. I was having too good a time on my first riding day in 3 weeks and should have been smoother on the throttle. When I only have one day a month to ride I get a bit right hand heavy, I really really like my 100nm of torque @ 300 rpm, it moves my soul.

.....I chopped the throttle and it brought the back way to the left and then right and back again several times.
Your lucky. When the rear kicks out, "chopping the throttle" is inviting a high side. Reducing the throttle might have produced a better result.

Wasn't a fan of the Pilot Roads in the rain after multiple experiences similar to what you described.
Randy I am very courious to know what you use now?

Your lucky. When the rear kicks out, "chopping the throttle" is inviting a high side. Reducing the throttle might have produced a better result.
Bike Effects

Thanks! I will remember this. It caught me offguard this time and I went into self presevation mode. I think the only reason I didn't highside is the tire never grabbed the road all at once. I just slid around till it stabilized.

Hey guys,go easy on ole Blue. Most of us know the right thing to do in an emergency but most of us do not have the training,experience and nerve to always do it.

Hell,we probably all know better that to "chop the throttle" in most emergency situations but I'll bet most of us do it anyway.

Avons are your best friend!

Paint

+1. 126 RWHP+Sport Tread Tires+Nightime+Jim Nabors=DeathRun2006
Rad I'm not old enough to know who Jim Nabors is you will have to explain a bit, but I think I get the idea.
Jim Nabors, aka Gomer Pyle,Tdubs favorite TV show, also famous for his rendition of "Back Home Again in Indiana", Tdubs mostest favoritist song. Ever.

cpnaborsj.jpg

Rad, I was wrong I didn't get it...I've read enough of your stuff that I should have but the light bulb was a bit dim this morning. :D

I've been down twice. Once on a blind turn at ~30mph on the ST2 and another one at a hairpin on a race track on the 900SS. Both times with Michelins and both times relatively slow speeds. When they go... they gone! Another good scare on the ST2 with the Michelins. I don't give a damn what Ricky racers or real racers say. I'd quit riding altogether if Michelin were the only tire manufacturer. Never again.