New shorts needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been down twice. Once on a blind turn at ~30mph on the ST2 and another one at a hairpin on a race track on the 900SS. Both times with Michelins and both times relatively slow speeds. When they go... they gone! Another good scare on the ST2 with the Michelins. I don't give a damn what Ricky racers or real racers say. I'd quit riding altogether if Michelin were the only tire manufacturer. Never again.
Did you see Gomer too when death was imminent? Just wunderin.....

Rad I'm not old enough to know who Jim Nabors is you will have to explain a bit, but I think I get the idea.
Jim Nabors, aka Gomer Pyle,Tdubs favorite TV show, also famous for his rendition of "Back Home Again in Indiana", Tdubs mostest favoritist song. Ever.

cpnaborsj.jpg

So then TWN's most favoritist phrases would be:

"Well, gah-ah-ahllllll-eeeee!

and

"Shazayam!"

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
...wet it looked like blackice in the highbeams.
Cold wet tar might as well be black ice. Nothing short of studded tires will help on that stuff. Wet painted areas are also rather slippery. It sounds like you did great just keeping it upright. Nice to see you or the bike weren't hurt. :clap:

Wasn't a fan of the Pilot Roads in the rain after multiple experiences similar to what you described.
Randy I am very courious to know what you use now?
Metzeler Z6. But, if you get them, you better not admit it here or admit that you like them unless you're fond of public floggings.

OK. So, sometime, and for either real of just accepted reasons, the rear tire will break loose. Now what?

Pull in the clutch. That prevents the "tankslapper" behavior. The rear tire either will or will not regain traction. If it doesn't, you Low-side. If it does, it will do so gently, and not "loose it again" because of the decelerative traction demand closing the throttle, or even holding it steady will make.

Why not just hold the throttle steady, or "gently roll off". Either might work - the operative word being "migth". Great riders, like at the top level of racing, have experience in "saving slides". But they still fail. Every High-side witnessed resulted from failing to effectively handle the initial Low-side forces - as did every Low-side too. You gonna do better than they do? At night? On a wet road? With no heated up rain tires? In the cold?

Good luck out there, guys. And good technique too.

Was my thread about smoking my tire and doing a stoppie to avoid a neighbor's cat so transparently a troll that I didn't get two pages of riding advice?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Torque, oil, rain, throttle technique, steering into/out of...heck, even the best go down sometimes and I'm just glad you saved your ass in a scary situtation instead of giving up and letting her go down! Good job!

I've been down twice.  Once on a blind turn at ~30mph on the ST2 and another one at a hairpin on a race track on the 900SS.  Both times with Michelins and both times relatively slow speeds.  When they go... they gone!  Another good scare on the ST2 with the Michelins.  I don't give a damn what Ricky racers or real racers say.  I'd quit riding altogether if Michelin were the only tire manufacturer.  Never again.
Did you see Gomer too when death was imminent? Just wunderin.....
I didn't see shit my friend. I was going about my business... and then I wasn't. But you know the old saying... there are those who have gone down... and there are those who will go down. Comes with the territory I suppose... In a way I felt stupid for going down and in a way I felt lucky for getting up cursing and screaming... No Michelins for me though.... In fact the dealer has been instructed already. If for whatever reason it comes with Michelins, swap them for Z6 Roadtecs...

How many miles are on the roads? On my 3rd set of roads, way better than the one set of Z6 I tried(see he was right about Metz. bashing). I think the key is lots of tread and throttle mgmt.Glad your ok. How long did it take to get the seat back in its normal position?

Rad,  I was wrong I didn't get it...I've read enough of your stuff that I should have but the light bulb was a bit dim this morning.  :D
Yeah, sure, blame it on the bulb when the drive mechanism was a fault. :haha:

Yeah, sure, blame it on the bulb when the drive mechanism was a fault. haha.gif
The wife checked the drive mechanism...its working just fine. How would you know about that are you a wee bit of a stalker? :D

One thing that I did not see mentioned and in the winter time is SALT. It may or may not have been on your road but that stuff when it gets damp does not help traction.

One tire a lot of FJR riders swear by for wet riding are Avons. My son says they are an inferior made tire, but what does he know, he rides a Honda. I'm currently on Pilots, but not so happy with the wear. At the current rate, they will be gone in 5K.

+1. 126 RWHP+Sport Tread Tires+Nightime+Jim Nabors=DeathRun2006
Rad I'm not old enough to know who Jim Nabors is you will have to explain a bit, but I think I get the idea.
Jim Nabors, aka Gomer Pyle,Tdubs favorite TV show, also famous for his rendition of "Back Home Again in Indiana", Tdubs mostest favoritist song. Ever.

cpnaborsj.jpg
That your personally autographed photo of Jimmy, there rad? C'mon, show the rest of his note thanking you for a real good time, 'back home in radiana'.

:****: :D

One tire a lot of FJR riders swear by for wet riding are Avons. My son says they are an inferior made tire, but what does he know, he rides a Honda.
My bike came with an Avon on the rear and an MEZ4 on the front. I'm happy with the front Metz, but I can't wait for the Avon to wear out so I can throw it away. It doesn't grip well in the dry until it's REALLY warm...I definately don't want to push it in the wet. Definately going to replace it with something else.

After reading all that Tire Bashing I'm not sure which tire is good to put on the FJR!

Has anyone tried Dunlop?

... Only the place where I was is more tar and less chip, wet it looked like blackice in the highbeams.
I high-sided off my Concours a few years ago on exactly the same pavement that you describe. Not only does it look like black ice, it's almost as slippery when the rain first starts. :eek: You can't be too careful when it first starts raining.

Funny,I did a week in WVA in steady everyday rain and never lost grip with my Avons.I love them.Some pretty spirited riding in the twisties,too,with a local Connie showing the way!