New Technical service bulletin on FJR's 03-07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. That was great. Now I know why the turnk for my 07 is taking so long to ship. They must be trying to work the bugs out.
+1, I have been waiting since April for the one I ordered for my 06. The dealer couldn't get a straight answer out of Yamaha...Let's hope they will finally cut loose with the order and ship it.

There is a new Technical service bulletin out on 2003 through 2007 FJR1300's with the touring trunk installed. The bulletin is to reinforce the base that the trunk mounts to due to it fracturing. TSB# m2007-013.
That is all.
Thanks for the information. The base of my '06 topcase cracked a couple of months ago. I took it in recently and the dealer in Roseville, CA is attempting to replace it with a new one. However, after waiting for over a month now, I dropped by the dealer yesterday to inquire on the status of backordered trunks. Apparently, the topcases are made in Europe, and the factory has sent new topcases to Yamaha four or five times. In each case, Yamaha deemed the "new and improved" cases as unsatisfactory and sent them back. At this time, their is no estimated time in Yamaha's parts computer system for availability of these trunks. I asked the dealer if they would refund my money and they said that would not be a problem. There was no mention of the Tech Bulletin or the reinforcement plate kits by the dealer......I am grateful for the information you posted. I will be sure to drop by the dealer and give him a copy of the Tech Bulletin! Thanks again!

Shad 48 anyone?!
Update June 29, 2007............

Dropped by the Roseville, CA Yamaha dealer to pick an exhaust bracket for a dented tailpipe I am replacing. Low and behold, one of the parts guys (Josh) recognizes me and says he has a couple of replacement topcases and reinforcement kits in. So I got to pick it all up and check it out. The reinforcement kit is a steel plate with the recessed locking cutout that bolts to the existing bracket bolted to the rear of the bike. The topcase now has a steel plate attached to the bottom of topcase. Additionally, there is a rubber strip which runs along the bracket on the bike where the lip of the topcase slips in. The rubber piece came off my bracket. Yamaha apparently has acknowledged this also as the reinforcemtment kit includes a new rubbler strip or bumber with 2 push pin plastic fasteners......the idea I believe is to drill 2 small holes thru the strip at either end and thru the bracket. The strip attaches with the pushpin plastic fasteners, the strip probably has an adhesive back to it, however I have not opened the package yet. I will take some photos and post when I get a chance.

By the way, the Roseville, CA dealer as an 07 Cherry FJR on the showroom floor and the matching reinforced topcase and reinforment kit. Just in case someone is looking for an 07........

You would think Yamaha would have learned their lesson by now... I remember the old 1st and 2nd gen Ventures having much the same problem with their top cases. There was LOTS of discussion of this on "The Venturers" forum.

Ray

I just got a letter from Yamaha about the trunk issue dated June 21, 2007. Looks like all us trunk owners are in for some free upgrades. Yippie. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else having problems viewing that .pdf that un4gvn posted a link to??

I would like to print it and it won't let me do that either. That web page just does not load up properly for me at work or home. Any other versions out there with the photos?? The html version does not have photos. I would like to get a copy so I can do it myself. Any help would be appreciated.