New to me Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotride

Reaction score
I scored a used smuggler off the forum last month (Thanks Graler and Bluesy for the heads up) and had it sent to Garauld to be painted black. I was very excited when it was finally delivered this morning. Garauld is the go to guy for paint. It matches perfectly and looks brand new.

My only disapointment was finding out that it does not fit with the Givi rack. I had to remove it and put the stock rack back on. Not a big deal as I would only use the topbox for longer trips and it swaps out pretty easy.

DSC06202_zps3ea58804.jpg

DSC06199_zps9e9c6f21.jpg

DSC06196_zps64238563.jpg

AWESOME! Christmas in January!

Yeah you can't use the stock Givi mounting H/W with it. Not sure if the other plate thangy you can buy for the tail that holds a Givi will work. Ask fairlaner, he had one of those plates on his 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME! Christmas in January!
Yeah you can't use the stock Givi mounting H/W with it. Not sure if the other plate thangy you can buy for the tail that holds a Givi will work. Ask fairlaner, he had one of those plates on his 2008.
I figure I will just swap it out for the longer trips. I wont be using the smuggler anyway on the trips since I usually like to strap a bag on the back seat. Its only 5 bolts and takes about 5 minutes to swap.

"Dear Admins,

Please, in the future, automatically DELETE any and all threads from these bastards FJR pilots who put Smugglers on their bikes.

.....at least 'til I get one!"

Thank you,

RadioHowie

You may want to check out Premire cycles and see if there rearmount bracket will work it is made for a givi mount . Great peope to deal with , the owner Dan rides a fjr also. I have purchased from them and wsas very happy.

Yep I have spent a nice chunk of change with Premier and always had great service. I dont trust the "other" racks that bolt on the the oem rack. When you have the oem and givi in your hands you can really see how much more support the givi has. I have been behind a few bikes with the topbox bouncing around and have seen enough broken sub frame pics on here to say No Thank you
weirdsmiley.gif

You may want to check out Premire cycles and see if there rearmount bracket will work it is made for a givi mount . Great peope to deal with , the owner Dan rides a fjr also. I have purchased from them and wsas very happy.
Premier Cycle is owned by Duane.....

R

Could send that pad back to Corbin and they will match the cover to your seat...or not...[i'm cursed with some Teutonic genes]

I have an '05 with the GIVI rack and Smuggler installed. Had to slightly modify the Smuggler by reducing the height of that little ridge on top of the part that fits under the Givi rack bar. Also slightly 'compressed' the bottem of the Givi tube that the Smuggler fits under inorder to get the necessary clearences. All fits as 'snug as a bug in a rug ' now after the mods.

Premier Cycle is owned by Duane.....

R
I have the Premire rack and Smuggler, I like the Premire's low profile mounting.

I have an '05 with the GIVI rack and Smuggler installed. Had to slightly modify the Smuggler by reducing the height of that little ridge on top of the part that fits under the Givi rack bar. Also slightly 'compressed' the bottem of the Givi tube that the Smuggler fits under inorder to get the necessary clearences. All fits as 'snug as a bug in a rug ' now after the mods.
On a Gen I FJR, the smuggler works with the Givi Rack. (And a Russel Day Long saddle).

What I'm reading is that it won't work on a Gen II (Gen III), which is a bummer. Anyone have pics of by how much it doesn't fit, and/or where it hits?

Need to get organized, I have a Gen I RDL seat and Smuggler I need to sell.

PCA owner does indeed ride an FJR... accurate there... but his name is Duane

Edited: I see this has already been addressed. Please disregard.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dear Admins,
Please, in the future, automatically DELETE any and all threads from these bastards FJR pilots who put Smugglers on their bikes.

.....at least 'til I get one!"

Thank you,

RadioHowie
Well get Mrs. RH to loosen the farkle budget and I might have just what you are looking for. It's only money. Would you rather give it to your daughter?
smile.png