New top case no lock!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtman

Reaction score
I bought a top case for my 07 FJR from a local dealer. When I get it home I discover it does not come with a lock. One guy at the dealer tells me it should have a lock in the box another tells me every new FJR ships with an extra lock cylinder so when you get a top case you have a matching lock. The manual clearly states that the lock does not come with it. I had them order a lock for $89.62! including tax. I go to pick it up only to find out that it is 3 locks not just one. This really got me peeved. I don't think anyone at this dealership has enough experience to know what is really going on. I only need one lock so they were at least nice enough to charge me a third of the cost but only let me have one key so they could sell one of the other locks.

I can't help but think what they should have done was order one lock from Yamaha that was keyed for my bike. Am I right or wrong? I think I'm going to ask them for the other key when I pick my bike up from having tires installed.

I bought a top case for my 07 FJR from a local dealer. When I get it home I discover it does not come with a lock. One guy at the dealer tells me it should have a lock in the box another tells me every new FJR ships with an extra lock cylinder so when you get a top case you have a matching lock. The manual clearly states that the lock does not come with it. I had them order a lock for $89.62! including tax. I go to pick it up only to find out that it is 3 locks not just one. This really got me peeved. I don't think anyone at this dealership has enough experience to know what is really going on. I only need one lock so they were at least nice enough to charge me a third of the cost but only let me have one key so they could sell one of the other locks.
I can't help but think what they should have done was order one lock from Yamaha that was keyed for my bike. Am I right or wrong? I think I'm going to ask them for the other key when I pick my bike up from having tires installed.

Did you look under your seat ? If you're the first owner (ie, someone else hasn't removed it), there's likely a little bag there with a lock. There was no lock on my topcase, probably because the locks (3 - unless 2 of them have already been installed on the side cases) are all keyed to the ignition switch. One key fits all!

Did you look under your seat ? If you're the first owner (ie, someone else hasn't removed it), there's likely a little bag there with a lock. There was no lock on my topcase, probably because the locks (3 - unless 2 of them have already been installed on the side cases) are all keyed to the ignition switch. One key fits all!

I am the first owner. That's where the one guy said the lock should be but I haven't found any lock. Is the bag loose or strapped to something? Maybe it fell down in the bike somewhere or out on the road.

That sucks, i have a lock sitting on my desk here that you could have had for $25........

oh well

R

I am the first owner. That's where the one guy said the lock should be but I haven't found any lock. Is the bag loose or strapped to something? Maybe it fell down in the bike somewhere or out on the road.

The clear plastic bag was where the tool kit is; not much place for it to fall ? It was in its own little bag inside a larger bag that had spare plastic covers (the colour caps that's referred to in the New Owners section checklist ?). I just found mine today - coincidentally. I had bought my case a couple of months ago but just opened the carton this week. No lock. Had a brain fart today and went looking. :)

Many users report that they did not get the spare lock - the dealer may have jetissoned it as a leftover part after installing two of them in your side bags. I'm sure it is too late to claim it now.

If you didn't get the locks, did you get your bag liners? They come withthe bike too.

Most dealers don't sell many FJRs and so they often have no idea about the bike and it's little idiosyncrasies - that's why the site has the BIN 'O FACTS for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pouch of misc stuff and it was included in there with all of the warranty paperwork. Keep looking and i hope you find it. That really sucks.

The dealer handed me the extra lock and told me what it was for when I bought mine. I don't plan on using the lock and it will be staying in the drawer with the caps to cover the side boxes until I decide to clean the drawer. If you can return your 3 locks you can have mine with key for shipping cost plus cost to replace my extra key.

If you bought the bike new from the same dealer you bought the locks from I would lean on them a bit to get the lock that is keyed to the bike and should have come with it in the first place and give you your $90 back.

The clear plastic bag was where the tool kit is; not much place for it to fall ? It was in its own little bag inside a larger bag that had spare plastic covers (the colour caps that's referred to in the New Owners section checklist ?). I just found mine today - coincidentally. I had bought my case a couple of months ago but just opened the carton this week. No lock. Had a brain fart today and went looking. :)
Thanks! When you said spare plastic covers it jogged my memory because I knew they had given me those. It prompted me to look in unlikely places. I found the lock cylinder, decals and covers in a box full of computer parts in my closet. I'm all set for my trip now!

...I found the lock cylinder, decals and covers...
Decals? I'll read through the forum's list again, but I don't remember any decals. I certainly didn't get any with mine.

As an aside, my dealer was clueless about the FJR1300AE. During the 'instroduction' they gave me before I drove off, they told me that it was a "1 down, 4 up" gear shifter (incorrect), they couldn't get it into neutral, they had no idea what the covers were and were going to throw them away when they saw them in the glove box (those are my covers, thank you), they thought the seat lock was the helmet lock (ha), didn't know what the windshield buttons did ("it adjusts? cool!"), didn't know how to engage the finger shifters, yadda yadda yadda. They at least knew it wasn't supposed to have a clutch. No wonder these things just sit in their showroom, unbought and unloved--they have no idea how to sell it if it ain't a cruiser.

Pango

Decals? I'll read through the forum's list again, but I don't remember any decals. I certainly didn't get any with mine.
Not decals as in fancy, schmancy graphical ones. Transparent decals that go just below the side bag latch holes that help prevent scratches to the paint. They likely are already installed. You can see one in this picture.

My dealer ordered my top case(with a lock) and one key fits everything(ignition,sides top,seat). I made a deal with them when I bought the bike new. Your not the first, I've read this about few other people. I guess I just lucky to have a good dealer in my area.( D&E Yamaha Visalia, CA.)

As an aside, my dealer was clueless about the FJR1300AE. During the 'instroduction' they gave me before I drove off, they told me that it was a "1 down, 4 up" gear shifter (incorrect), they couldn't get it into neutral, they had no idea what the covers were and were going to throw them away when they saw them in the glove box (those are my covers, thank you), they thought the seat lock was the helmet lock (ha), didn't know what the windshield buttons did ("it adjusts? cool!"), didn't know how to engage the finger shifters, yadda yadda yadda. They at least knew it wasn't supposed to have a clutch. No wonder these things just sit in their showroom, unbought and unloved--they have no idea how to sell it if it ain't a cruiser.

Pango
thats hilarious,do they sell john deere tractors right along side the bikes.

The third lock should be with the bike, I was in the same situation as you. No one knew where the third lock was. So they ordered a set for me (3), exchange the saddle bags and the trunk so now I have a key for the ignition and I key for the bags. BUT yeah there is BUT. I actually love it. because I can open it with the bike running if I forget to get something or stick something in there.

Also I will take a picture and show you what I did but I cut the sides of the bag key a bit with a dremmell tool, just enought to fit it in a black Coke bottle cap. I glued it in there nice and tight. So it sits on the bag at all times, it does not fall, it blends in with the back top of the bags. and the bottle cap you just twist it to open and close. I love it. People are more prone to mess with your stuff if they see a key there, with me all they see if the little knob.

Many users report that they did not get the spare lock - the dealer may have jetissoned it as a leftover part after installing two of them in your side bags. I'm sure it is too late to claim it now.
If you didn't get the locks, did you get your bag liners? They come withthe bike too.

Most dealers don't sell many FJRs and so they often have no idea about the bike and it's little idiosyncrasies - that's why the site has the BIN 'O FACTS for reference.

10-Roger on the Bin 'o Facts!!

I got an extra lock with my 08, standard, under the front seat.