New ZUMO 350LM Announced

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, Garmin, this one is a pig, regardless of the lipstick. I just hope this one doesn't knock the 550 out of their lineup as that is still the best MC specific unit to date, IMO.

No MP3 or XM. No Bluetooth phone connections (just outgoing BT sound to the helmet headset).

That screen had better have some real pop in sunlight or else this thing has no redeeming value what so ever.

How is this thing any better than a Zumo 220?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan anymore of the Garmin maps, after using my Droid Razr's (google loaded GPS maps) they blow the Garmin right off the map (no pun intended). I get full BT communication to my helmet, can make/answer calls... even has a Radar detector app that works.

So basically Garmin maps suck, maybe a few years ago they were considered good but shouldn't every freeqn town be named let alone too many streets just blank. Detail is cartoonish blah crapola.

Try a dual-core Android and get blown away by detail that Garmin can't produce (and understandably b/c they have to have the entire N. America preloaded vs. a few miles of high(er) detail transmitted images (maps) on demand. If your traveling outside your carrier (I use Verizon for the best all around coverage) then I load up "Backcountry GPS" with preloaded background maps that don't need cell coverage. You can even go Satellite image as a background, talk about detail!. U pick the area ahead of time you will be visiting, download it and when your in that area you have full GPS even without the cell coverage.

Map updates? haa, I don't think I have to tell you who wins this battle either ;)

I guess you never go anywhere that you can't get cell service? Or doesn't that matter on your Droid Razr's GPS (it does on my Crackberry's)

I just wish some other company would come out with a dependable motorcycle GPS. Garmin is the one-eyed man in the land of the blind. :glare:
Somebody please ring a bell when that "other" company makes a GPS that takes a map route right off Google maps without any other software involved, drag & drop so to speak. :glare:

I guess you never go anywhere that you can't get cell service? Or doesn't that matter on your Droid Razr's GPS (it does on my Crackberry's)
Yes it matters, as said if you go outside cell coverage I use Backcountry GPS app and loads immediately (no bootup or sat seeking crap). Once you have the icon/app loaded and you want to pre-load a map for non-coverage use; all you do is highlight (drag a square on your region to pre-download that map area) and click download, the selected map tiles start loading into your Droid with a timeline (progress bar). You can customize on how much magnification you desire also (saves download space/time if you don't need all the magnified super zoomed tiles) 15 is default and I usually go with that. The entire Adirondacks Mtns. [W-Tughill / E-Lk Champlain, Lk George / S-Thruway / N-Ogdensburg download for me took almost an hr. using wi-fi|dsl (I didn't have 4G coverage here at my store so the wi-fi|dsl was the better dload speed option as 3G is quite slow. On true 4G LTE you could cut that dsl download figure a quarter (maybe 15min?) so not too bad. Something that you wanna do the nite before your ride.

At anytime you can go into your stored map(s) and select update/refresh, delete or add new (select another area to download). When driving along and you get to that area not served by cell coverage you will automatically have that map pre-loaded and working just as if you had normal cell service.

This should clear up the myth of not being able to have maps in non supported cell areas for peeps with Androids (and maybe Blackberry's? ..not sure as I tossed out my old BB Storm a few years back)

yeah, I don't think my crappy BB curve could handle anything like that.

Plus Verizon has the GPS function locked down on it anyway.

My smahtfone ain't so smaht. Think I'll just stick with the Garmin zumo.

yeah, I don't think my crappy BB curve could handle anything like that.

Plus Verizon has the GPS function locked down on it anyway.

My smahtfone ain't so smaht. Think I'll just stick with the Garmin zumo.
Agree Fred, It's not like the Zumo is chopped liver either.

I will be seeing you next weekend for the 'Daks ride (good weather hopefully!)

its not A2DP (not stereo)

no MP3 (I guess why do you need it in mono?)

It also may NOT pair with a phone.

So it might be iphone to sena in A2DP, zumo to sena in headset mode. No dialing from zumo;

Not *may*. It has no phone support.

There is no support for a traffic receiver in the bike mount (which is weird - then again they don't say that they support traffic in the bike mount on the 660 and I have one installed on the bike - however they're explicit about it).

None of the 2012 series navigators has an MP3 player.

It DOES support 100 routes where the 660/665 only have 10 on line at any one time.

The 350 was there yesterday and could be selected for a model comparison, but is now off the motorcycle web pages for the Zumo, though there is an animation on the welcome page that includes it. Note that on the new Zumo pages the 550 is not included, though it still shows as a current model on the Motorcycle product page.

And they recommend the Montata for offroading as well

you may wanna check your unit again Bramfrank...my 665 stores 20 routes. Maybe some are on the micro sd card?? :huh:

you may wanna check your unit again Bramfrank...my 665 stores 20 routes. Maybe some are on the micro sd card?? :huh:
Mea Culpa - Should have put '20' - still less than the 100 that the 350 supports - yes, the 660/665 can both have additional routes on the MicroSD.

On further reflection, I believe it is Garmin's intent to position this zumo 350 between the zumo 220 and the zumo 660. Feature-wise that is how it appears, and the model numbers would support that this is their marketing plan. They just need to adjust the msrp to be in betyween those prior models and it will make more sense. The initial prices we saw are out of line for the units lack of features.

Then they will probably eliminate the zumo 550 from production, which is really too bad, as it is still the best motorcycle specific GPS, IMO. The reason they need to eliminate the 550 is because it is too close, feature-wise to 6xx series and is cannibalizing sales of those newer models, which are most likely more profitable than the older 550. It also is more expensive to support multiple platforms. The 6xx series is the same platform as many of the nuvi products in a different package.

Some folks may have noticed that, in several different threads, I've been exploring the possibility of using bluetooth to the helmet, and as far as I can determine, unless one wants to use in ear monitors (headphones) it appears that none of the bluetooth headsets are loud enough to use with 33 DbA earplugs, which means that I am resigned to remaining wired to my Starcom1. For people that are wired this way, the zumo 550 is still the best bet in a full featured GPS.

Everybody seems to be hung up on GPS "features" other than getting from A to B and points in between. I use other stuff for "features" like XM, MP3 and what not. I just picked up yet ANOTHER 2730 specifically because of the ease of routing and actually GETTING SOMEPLACE. I can't count the number of times I've been standing next to my bike, doing an on-the-fly route change and the guy I'm riding with mentions how much easier to route the 2730 is that his 6XX, 5XX, etc.

YMMV

I'm not a fan anymore of the Garmin maps, after using my Droid Razr's (google loaded GPS maps) they blow the Garmin right off the map (no pun intended).
Can you load detailed pre-planned specific routes?
Here's an Android app, BestRoute Pro, that does waypoint routing. Link I've been meaning to download and see if it's any good but haven't gotten around to it. User feedback is good.

It's also possible to pre-load up to 10 200 square mile Google map tiles if think you might go out of data coverage range. Link

I'm not a fan anymore of the Garmin maps, after using my Droid Razr's (google loaded GPS maps) they blow the Garmin right off the map (no pun intended).
Here's an Android app, BestRoute Pro, that does waypoint routing. Link I've been meaning to download and see if it's any good but haven't gotten around to it. User feedback is good.

It's also possible to pre-load up to 10 200 square mile Google map tiles if think you might go out of data coverage range. Link
Agree (and like that app) but still like the Backcountry app with arial background images from mapquest (you get to choose what map provider you would like to load and you can switch back and forth).

Agree (and like that app) but still like the Backcountry app with arial background images from mapquest (you get to choose what map provider you would like to load and you can switch back and forth).
I inspired myself to try out both BestRoute and Backcountry yesterday on my Android Razr Maxx. While the maps are better than Garmin neither can touch Garmin when it comes to complex multi-waypoint routing. Bestroute is the closest but their method requires manual updating after every waypoint - not something I'd want to do while riding the bike. IMO, seamless integration with Google Nav is required for this to work. AFAIK, no app can do that.

I just wish some other company would come out with a dependable motorcycle GPS. Garmin is the one-eyed man in the land of the blind. :glare:
A big +1 on that!! Garmin needs some REAL compitition. Maybe then the prices of these things will come down. I have a 665 but Damn it was 800 bucks!!

A big +1 on that!! Garmin needs some REAL compitition. Maybe then the prices of these things will come down. I have a 665 but Damn it was 800 bucks!!
I fully understand this sentiment. We all want what we want, and we want it NOW (and cheap)!

But, playing the devils advocate here... just perhaps it is harder or more expensive to develop those technologies than what you are thinking it is.

The reason I am saying that is because, If it wasn't, wouldn't there be a whole line of other people trying to dip into that juicy gravy train? :unsure: We all realize that the actual cost of producing these units (hardware) is a small percentage of what they get for them. So there must be a lot of back office costs involved. No?

Then they will probably eliminate the zumo 550 from production, which is really too bad, as it is still the best motorcycle specific GPS, IMO. The reason they need to eliminate the 550 is because it is too close, feature-wise to 6xx series and is cannibalizing sales of those newer models, which are most likely more profitable than the older 550. It also is more expensive to support multiple platforms. The 6xx series is the same platform as many of the nuvi products in a different package.
I've always liked my Zumo 550. I bought it with my Moto Guzzi Norge in 2007. It failed in early 2008 and Garmin replaced it at no cost. I've had the second unit ever since. I have not bothered to update maps or software, but have just used it in its 2008 form.

Recently I acquired a BMW Nav IV (for the K1600 GTL) and a Nuvi 2555 LMT (for the Prius). These both featured lifetime map updates, so I hooked them both up to the Garmin web site and went through the 6+ hours of monkeying around with each of them to get them recognized and current. This inspired me to also do the Zumo 550, so this morning I hooked it up.

On the bright side, Garmin's web site recognized it immediately and knew when it had been registered. Their web site recommended software and firmware updates, and noted that map updates were available for purchase (they weren't giving free lifetime maps in 2007).

I tried to update the software and the web site determined that there was inadequate free space. It recommended I contact Garmin customer support. I called them at 8 am cdt when they opened and had a very short wait before a tech support person took my call.

Again, on the bright side, the tech support guy spent half an hour on the phone with me as we worked our way through clearing space on the 550 and installed software and firmware updates. At the end of half an hour the Zumo 550 was current as far as software and firmware were concerned. Garmin had invested half an hour. I had not had to fork over a penny. I thought this was very nice support for a device that was originally purchased 5 years ago.

I was now ready to update maps, and I was willing to pay for this service. As we were parting company on the phone, the tech support person told me "The Zumo will not have enough memory to accept the full map updates. You will have to put the updates on your computer, and then pick some geographical subsection to reside on the 550."

I asked him if it was likely if the 550 would accept just the continental US, and he said "Probably not." The full update is for North America. It was 3,077 MB and it went on both the Nav IV and the Nuvi 2555 without either one choking.

I looked at the report on the 550, and it said that after all our removal of extraneous files, there was 125 MB of free space available. I would have been able to put something like the Southeast region of the US on the device, but it would not have come close for the full continental US.

Suffice it to say that I decided to live with my 2008 maps, which appear to be functional over the entire U.S. after today's software and firmware updates. The Zumo 550 won't know where the latest hotels or restaurants or road projects are. If I wanted, I could use the SD card approach, and that would work just fine.

I am thinking that maybe the 550 ought to go on e-bay for a good price. I have all the original accessories, paperwork, etc. Maybe I'll get around to that later in the week.

Meanwhile, I think this memory storage capacity issue is probably THE major difference between the 550 and the more recent high end Garmin models.