New ZUMO 350LM Announced

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, I think this memory storage capacity issue is probably THE major difference between the 550 and the more recent high end Garmin models.

Nay, nay, Mr Bull. I've solved this little issue, and posted about it here: Click for zumo550 enlightenment

You can load the entire North America mapset and more!! Just be sure to put it onto the SD card (8GB recommended if you also wan to load 1000 mp3's) not the Garmin's internal memory.

Meanwhile, I think this memory storage capacity issue is probably THE major difference between the 550 and the more recent high end Garmin models.

Nay, nay, Mr Bull. I've solved this little issue, and posted about it here: Click for zumo550 enlightenment

You can load the entire North America mapset and more!! Just be sure to put it onto the SD card (8GB recommended if you also wan to load 1000 mp3's) not the Garmin's internal memory.
Well, I asked the tech support guy about the idea of using the larger SD card to just move everything to the device, and he said it couldn't be done. If you've done it, then this is a flaw in the Garmin support .... or maybe their subtle ruse to steer you toward the newer devices.

I'll check out your link. If I could carry the full N.A. maps on the 550, I'd pay for the update and then install it on the FJR.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't want/need all the extra features in a GPS. Of course I'm still sporting a Streetpilot III. :D Call me a cheap bastard.

What I WILL complain about is the total lack of memory in these things. Map storage and limits on routes is ridiculous. I read they started removing small towns and street names to save memory space. Memory prices are dirt cheap these days. If they don't want to give me lots of memory, then why can't these devices come with a basic internal memory and let me slide in an off the shelf media card. Surely a 32GB SD card could hold all the maps and routes we could possibly want.

Well, I asked the tech support guy about the idea of using the larger SD card to just move everything to the device, and he said it couldn't be done. If you've done it, then this is a flaw in the Garmin support .... or maybe their subtle ruse to steer you toward the newer devices.

I'll check out your link. If I could carry the full N.A. maps on the 550, I'd pay for the update and then install it on the FJR.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Oh yes, you can. No doubt about that. I'm running it this way for a while now on 2 550s (mine and sons)

And if you are considering upgrading the maps, and you like your current GPS, it makes financial sense to get the nuMaps lifetime upgrade from Amazon.com for $79 rather than paying the going rate for a single map update. I just bought this for our son's 550.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memory prices are dirt cheap these days. If they don't want to give me lots of memory, then why can't these devices come with a basic internal memory and let me slide in an off the shelf media card. Surely a 32GB SD card could hold all the maps and routes we could possibly want.
That's what I just said. Yeah, you CAN do that.

Memory prices are dirt cheap these days. If they don't want to give me lots of memory, then why can't these devices come with a basic internal memory and let me slide in an off the shelf media card. Surely a 32GB SD card could hold all the maps and routes we could possibly want.
That's what I just said. Yeah, you CAN do that.
Well that's what we get for typing at the same time! :D

Great minds think alike? So do demented ones! erm.... :D