Newbie here, Question about 2 up riding...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine almost 5 months and finally got the wife to go along on a 3 day trip into Arkansas. First off she was surprised how much stuff she could put in one saddlebag; also being able to pack a liner then just stow it in the saddlebag - pop it put at the hotel. She is 5'-4" and had a little trouble getting on/off at first then got the hang of it (last bike had a lower seat). No complaints about the ride. We did about 250-300 miles/day of back roads and managed pretty good fuel mileage, 43-44mpg; not bad for hauling us up and down hills with all the power it has.......better than a Gold Wing. And when you need the power to climb a steep hill or pass a motorhome in a short distance, you got!

Get to a dealer and try one on. You will likely take it home. One other note about this past weekend in Arkansas, lots of HD's, some GoldWings, a handfull of Beemers, only FJR I encountered was mine. Had several of those riders asking questions about the FJR. Love it more each time I climb on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The X9 would commonly cruise on the hwy between 60/80 mph. I have had it up to 119 mph several times., The Vespa had a top speed of 80 mph, Took it to tecate mexico and back from L.A. I will still ride scoots and love em, These are fuel injected bikes and not your fathers scooter anymore. :rolleyes: dr

I'm sorry, but there is a big difference between a 450 lb scooter that can get up to 119 mph and a 600+ pound motorcycle that can get to 119mph in 5 seconds, Tiny tires and brakes notwithstanding, scooters are still scooters and not really performance machines. ...

I was asking if you had any experiance on a large motorcycle in the hopes you do not buy a FJR and kill yourself on it. This is not your fathers Sport/Touring bike........

KM
Thanks for your concern but I do have experience on conventional bikes, Although I will be moving up to more power and performance I did start my enjoyment of riding starting with scooters like the ones most folks are used to seeing like a vespa. The x9 had dual front disc brakes and a rear disc setup just like a conventional bike. PLus full size tires and rims. BTW I am a piaggio trained tech and have worked on and rode on Aprilia/Moto Guzzi bikes but have had to deal with the issues that plague piaggio with parts and service. Since I have sold everything on 2 wheels and am looking to start riding soon I think that a proven brand like Yamaha is a better choice for me and now that I have found this forum to gain more knowledge of this particular model It makes even more sense. I still like the Guzzi but the FJR is better. I appreciate all the advise and experiences I have gained from this forum. Thanks DR

Forgot to mention this: I don't think the Yamaha top box is easy to remove and reinstall, but the Givi is.

I had a Yamaha Factory Top box that I bought used, installed on my bike for a while, and then resold here on the forum. Once installed, it was just as easy to pop the trunk box on and off of the rack as a Givi (what I have now). What isn't as easy is installing the rack. The Yamaha rack requires you to drill two big holes in my tail section (I used a hole saw). The Givi rack is mounted quite easily with no drilling or non-reversible mods. (I now have two nifty looking hole plugs in my tail section <_< )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an FJR and a GL1500. my daughters ride with me a lot. for any day trips its the FJR hands down. for X-country it's the wing by a wide margin. biggest difference according to my girls is the wing has a LOT more room for the passenger. the wings intercom and radio are also a nice advantage.

The MotoGuzzi sounds like a boat load of trouble. read a review that mirrorred what was posted here.

Turn the key pull the release and off comes the bag how tough is that????
Uhh... Which way do you turn the key? What happens if you pull the release and then turn the key? Which way does the bag come off, up or down? Jeez, that sounds tough.

My wife and I bought the FJR specifically for two-up riding/touring. The Yamaha top box definitely helps for my wife... I added some spacers to the front bolts of the top box in order to make it more upright, so my wife wasn't hunched forward. I also machined 3/4" risers, which helped for a more upright position for me... definitely helped with my cartilage problems in my lower back.

Pros:

- Great power for all riding conditions

- AE model makes for comfy passes through cities and a lot of traffic

- Buffeting and wind not a problem, I've got the Yamaha touring windshield

- Tons of storage for both us to pack for long trips

- Fuel mileage was low to mid 40's while cruising 75-80MPH for hours at a time, mileage goes up dramatically below 70MPH

- Motor is smooth and doesn't vibrate either of us to death (throttle body sync very important to this)

- Fairing and such does very well for keeping both of us dry, even in heavy rain

- heated grips a definite plus

Cons:

- My wife complained of too much wind on her arms and shoulders, maybe a wider shield would help with this?

- Stock seats good for about 500 miles a day (I'm OK with just about any mileage, but my wife was getting pretty sore at 650 miles/day), we are going to try Russell day longs next spring so we can really rack up miles

- Needs cruise control, but doesn't every touring bike? easy fix for this

- since I own a fab shop, I will be making some pegs/boards for the both of us so we can move our legs around a bit during the long stretches of highway... not a necessity, but definitely could be a benefit for the knees

This is all I could think of right now, but we are seriously considering a ride out to California or Texas next year and would feel very comfortable with the ability and comfort of the FJR. Not to mention, the FJR is a great bike just for me to ride around and play a bit. Definitely a do it all bike, not many out there like that.

Take care,

Dan

My wife and I, yes we are both girls, enjoy our FJR two up. It is the primary reason we bought one. We are barely two hundred pounds combined so we might not be the best example.

How is the FJR when you ride with a passenger, I am bikeless right now but want an FJR. I was also thinking about the Moto Guzzi Norge. I would like to have my wife go with me riding sometimes, I used to have super scooters(Piaggio X9 500) and Vespa GTS 250, Decent power but the passenger was cramped on the Vespa and the footpegs on the X9 was hard for my 5'0" wife to reach. Lotsa comfort though on the X9 for me. Does the topcase come off easy? On the X9 it was blocking the battery case. Would like some opinions and advise about riding with a passenger. thanks DR

I am hoping that you have more 2 wheeled experiance than just riding scooters...

KM

I rode 2 up on a Burgman 650 2 up for the year I had it and the ride is harsh in comparison and it only puts out 60 or so HP. Maybe Ok where you and plan on traveling to, are but some of the WA fun roads are up to 6-9 k and it eats power. Surprisingly the FJR even new gets better MPG than the 650 Burgman did, even riding hard. After market rear seat back rests are available, too. I am very happy with mine.

Cons:
- My wife complained of too much wind on her arms and shoulders, maybe a wider shield would help with this?
:huh:

Did you happen to mention to her that she's riding on the back of a motorcycle? :blink:

Well I tried to remind her of that, but you know how they are :) Seriously, her opinion was based on other bikes that didn't produce such a turbulent wind on her arms and shoulders... it's not much of an issue above 50°F, but when the temp drops, it starts to make her quite uncomfortable. You may not ride two-up yourself, but my objective is for the both of us to comfy, not just me ;)

Take care,

Dan

Turn the key pull the release and off comes the bag how tough is that????
Uhh... Which way do you turn the key? What happens if you pull the release and then turn the key? Which way does the bag come off, up or down? Jeez, that sounds tough.
Key turns to the right (just like ignition, seat lock, side bags, etc.)!

Release won't pull if you don't turn the key (just like bike won't run, seat won't remove, side bags won't remove unless you turn key)!

Which way does bag come off? You're kidding right? OK, if you're not, UP! Oh yea, in case you couldn't figure out, down to install.

Bought my bike 6 days ago. Came w/ the matching Yamaha trunk and backrest, had to order and pick-up the mounting bracket (2 business days and $72.95). Installed yesterday (piece-of-cake). After practicing 2 times can remove or reset in under 5 seconds (how tough is that?)

Forgot to mention this: I don't think the Yamaha top box is easy to remove and reinstall, but the Givi is.

I had a Yamaha Factory Top box that I bought used, installed on my bike for a while, and then resold here on the forum. Once installed, it was just as easy to pop the trunk box on and off of the rack as a Givi (what I have now). What isn't as easy is installing the rack. The Yamaha rack requires you to drill two big holes in my tail section (I used a hole saw). The Givi rack is mounted quite easily with no drilling or non-reversible mods. (I now have two nifty looking hole plugs in my tail section <_< )
I know that Fred knows this, but for the benefit of new members: Gen II bikes (06 and up) don't require any drilling to install the factory trunk mount rack. It's a very simple 3 bolt attachment that should take all of 2 minutes to accomplish.