Newbie here, Question about 2 up riding...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention this: I don't think the Yamaha top box is easy to remove and reinstall, but the Givi is.

I had a Yamaha Factory Top box that I bought used, installed on my bike for a while, and then resold here on the forum. Once installed, it was just as easy to pop the trunk box on and off of the rack as a Givi (what I have now). What isn't as easy is installing the rack. The Yamaha rack requires you to drill two big holes in my tail section (I used a hole saw). The Givi rack is mounted quite easily with no drilling or non-reversible mods. (I now have two nifty looking hole plugs in my tail section <_< )
I know that Fred knows this, but for the benefit of new members: Gen II bikes (06 and up) don't require any drilling to install the factory trunk mount rack. It's a very simple 3 bolt attachment that should take all of 2 minutes to accomplish.

You give me too much credit. I actually didn't know that 2nd gens required no drilling.

Guess I just learned my new thing for the day. ;)

Turn the key pull the release and off comes the bag how tough is that????
Uhh... Which way do you turn the key? What happens if you pull the release and then turn the key? Which way does the bag come off, up or down? Jeez, that sounds tough.
Key turns to the right (just like ignition, seat lock, side bags, etc.)!

Release won't pull if you don't turn the key (just like bike won't run, seat won't remove, side bags won't remove unless you turn key)!

Which way does bag come off? You're kidding right? OK, if you're not, UP! Oh yea, in case you couldn't figure out, down to install.

Bought my bike 6 days ago. Came w/ the matching Yamaha trunk and backrest, had to order and pick-up the mounting bracket (2 business days and $72.95). Installed yesterday (piece-of-cake). After practicing 2 times can remove or reset in under 5 seconds (how tough is that?)
Thanks for the clarification.

:coolsmiley03:

Last edited by a moderator: