Newbie to GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnCaged

Reaction score
StreetPilot 2820

Garmin's full-featured GPS navigator

for your car or motorcycle

With preloaded street maps and built-in Bluetooth® wireless capability, Garmin’s StreetPilot® 2820 is the ideal road companion for your car or motorcycle. Featuring hands-free calling, real-time traffic capabilities, MP3 player, audio book player, and an extensive points-of-interest database — this deluxe navigator has it all.

I know Zero, Nothing, about GPS systems, But I've come to the time in my biking adventures that I must get one, I have a habit of just jumping on my bike and end up somewhere I don't know where the hell I am :dribble:

The above unit sounds good, but can ya'll give me some basic pointers. I have been reading and using this forum and found it helpful, but thought some very,very basic knowledge would be good, I don't even know what to look for or what to ask!

(Can you use a handheld, I mean do you have to spend 8 to 900 bucks?) I was thinking 2 or 3 hundred would be ok?

So thank you for ya'lls feed back! B)

Uncaged

Last edited by a moderator:
You can spend a little, or you can spend a lot. They all have the same basic capabilities, in that they'll tell you where you are and they'll tell you how to get where you want to go - assuming you have the appropriate maps installed.

I came the conclusion that I needed a GPS one day when I found myself at the end of a 2 lane road (unpaved) with no civilisation in sight and my bike running on fumes.

Yes, I had maps, but maps are only good if you know where you are. And maps don't have databases (albeit incomplete ones) of gas stations and restaurants.

So when I got home, I spent a day researching the market and bought the then state-of-the-art Streetpilot-III. I had come to the conclusion that Garmin's maps are somewhat better then the others and that the company seems to be more consumer oriented than most.

The SP3 does not have a sunlight readable screen (neither does the 2610 for that matter) by the way.

Since then I have reviewed several tens of different units and I now run a 276c for a number of reasons - I don't need Bluetooth and I have an iPod connected to my Autocom. What I wanted was the larger, higher resolution screen that the 276c has. I also wanted the much larger tracklog that the Quest and 276c/376c and it's cousins share.

It wasn't as important to me to have the entire of North America preloaded - 1/4 of the continent is more than adequate with a 512 meg memory chip. But battery operation was a plus - in case I got stranded or decided to go hiking (those who know me know that THAT isn't likely to happen) I can take the unit off the bike and carry it - because it has a marine mode I also can use it on my brother's boat with the Bluechart maps (not a biggie for most).

Whatever you buy should be waterproof, otherwise you will need to deal with potential issues from the unit getting wet - the C, i and nuvi from Garmin are NOT. You also want to avoid any units with rotating memory (hard drives) installed.

Depending on your eyesight, the original Quest (115 megs, battery operation, sunlight readable display, large tracklog) may be a good frugal choice at less than $300.

I have the 2730 and LOVE it. Same good GPS technology, plus XM, weather, and my MP3 favorites list.

Whats the learning curve like on these things? Are they fairly intuitive or do I have to go back to college in order to use one?

It falls somewhere between a blender, and programming your VCR... depending on whose you buy.

a buddy recently bought a refurbished unit. it took about a week untill he bought a new and much better one. he's been pushing me hard to buy the first one from him. he makes a good point when he say's that nobody in the world needs a gps more than me, but i keep telling him when i get one it'll have to be a good one that talks to me.

he say's that he's just going to box it up and send it to me. i told him "box it up, and you're going to want some lubricant for this next part..."

i'm leaning towards the sat radio, mp3 capabilities as well. just not in any big rush.

derek

Just got back from a 2000 mi ride in CO and UT, used my new Garmin 2720 and it was great. Easy to read, EASY to learn, so I basically only use maps to plan the next day. Mounted on a simple RAM mount. I power mine with a front Powerlet(I actually have a Powerlet adapter that puts power into my tankbag and a splitter: one to power the Starcom and one to power the Garmin). The Garmin is also great in the car. I got a great price on Amazon.

Thinking about something like this!

Portability meets capability in the pocket-sized Garmin Quest™. This easy-to-use unit is loaded with the high-end navigation features from our most popular GPS navigators, and best of all, it's portable. So, you can use it in multiple vehicles — or slip it in your pocket for handy street-level directions when you're navigating on foot.

Lots to consider in buying one of these baby's :blink:

Uncaged

What I said before - the Quest is nice, but the screen is small.

The 276c and it's cousins have the highest resolution of the bunch, have the portablity (though you need a bigger pocket) and the longer tracklog. If you own a boat they have additional features that support use on the water as well.

If you can swing the $$ strongly recommend the route I went.

StreetPilot 2820
Garmin's full-featured GPS navigator

for your car or motorcycle

With preloaded street maps and built-in Bluetooth® wireless capability, Garmin’s StreetPilot® 2820 is the ideal road companion for your car or motorcycle. Featuring hands-free calling, real-time traffic capabilities, MP3 player, audio book player, and an extensive points-of-interest database — this deluxe navigator has it all.

I know Zero, Nothing, about GPS systems, But I've come to the time in my biking adventures that I must get one, I have a habit of just jumping on my bike and end up somewhere I don't know where the hell I am :dribble:

The above unit sounds good, but can ya'll give me some basic pointers. I have been reading and using this forum and found it helpful, but thought some very,very basic knowledge would be good, I don't even know what to look for or what to ask!

(Can you use a handheld, I mean do you have to spend 8 to 900 bucks?) I was thinking 2 or 3 hundred would be ok?

So thank you for ya'lls feed back! B)

Uncaged

Word of Warning - I hate to post this thread but maybe it will save some others a lot of grief - at least that is the intent of the posting - I am not bashing Lowrance, but just stating my circumstance. I have the Lowrance iway 500C GPS unit.

A few weeks ago I returned from a 3500 mile trip from Jacksonville, Fl to Americade, camping all the way. Before I left I printed off maps for backup "in case" my GPS went down.....which it DiD. The maps allowed me to continue my journey with no problems to unknown areas of travel.

I have a Lowrance iway 500C GPS/MP3 player which I have successfully used for almost a year on my FJR1300 with no problems. I have even argued with others that there is no real problem with it having the big hard drive with all the maps in it, and up to a few weeks ago, I was correct. Now I have suffered from my so called wisdom. (and I have been in the computer business over 35 years and supposedly know hard drive technology)....

Well, on my wonderful trip of a lifetime, my GPS stopped working. It is back at Lowrance now for repairs. The good thing about Lowrance is they do repair their products with no real hassle.

Bottom line advise - if and when I buy my next GPS I will again go to AUTONAV2000.com and get the recommended Garmin product from 04FJR4ME OR whatever he and the forum have tested and recommend. I would NOT put the Lowrance I500c back on a motorcycle even though I love the big screen.

Floridafeeger +1. James is a great guy who spends a lot of time in instructing FJR owners on GPS units and sells them to us at costs. He doesn't just sell the units but test them for the companies. James knows GPS. I have a 2610 which I love and have had no problems whatsoever. I got it when it first came out about three years ago so I am about ready for an upgrade. I think I have sold my 2610 to a friend with a 2 gig card.

... even though I love the big screen.
Did you look at the 276C/376c/378/478 Garmin's when you were buying...? Those have some pretty big screens too...

Sorry about your problems. Glad to hear you were able to manage when sent back to the stone age (paper copies...).

(Note to self... make sure you have at least 1 map of each state you'll be going through on way to Reno)

Side note.. just noticed Garmin's website now has a Motorcycle specific subheading... guess they've realized what a popular farkle this is for bikes.... ;)

Word of Warning - I hate to post this thread but maybe it will save some others a lot of grief - at least that is the intent of the posting - I am not bashing Lowrance, but just stating my circumstance. I have the Lowrance iway 500C GPS unit.
I would NOT put the Lowrance I500c back on a motorcycle even though I love the big screen.
You are not the first person I've heard about who has had issues with the 500C on a bike. Stay away from GPS units with rotating memory if you plan to put the thing on a motorcycle. That includes the Garmin 2620

I've been using a Garmin Quest for over a year now and think it's great! Picked up my 06 in Alabama last month and plotted my whole trip back to RI using mostly back roads and it performed flawlessly. Bought one for the the wife to find yard sales on the weekend.

Just got back from a 2000 mi ride in CO and UT, used my new Garmin 2720 and it was great. Easy to read, EASY to learn, so I basically only use maps to plan the next day. Mounted on a simple RAM mount. I power mine with a front Powerlet(I actually have a Powerlet adapter that puts power into my tankbag and a splitter: one to power the Starcom and one to power the Garmin). The Garmin is also great in the car. I got a great price on Amazon.
Can someone give me ideas on mounting my 60g Garmin on my FJR. There does not seem to be a RAM mount that does the job. I have an unused female threaded hole on the ldft of the brake-hydraulic reservior (on the same casting) and if I could find something that who use that hole, it would be nice.

Suggestions please.